Is this diet safe?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Sounds totally crazy to me. I eat the most protein....for my muscles, and more muscles,helps you burn calories.

Just eat healthy...and keep moving and you will lose weight in a healthy way.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask if the diet is healthy, chances are it isn't.

While cutting out meat and having a smoothie for breakfast isn't inherently unhealthy, that much weight loss probably means somewhere that guy had a nutritional deficit that wasn't healthy. If you cut out meat and substitute smoothies for breakfast, you still need to make sure you're getting all the good stuff you would have gotten from the meat and breakfast.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I think maybe I worded my original post wrong, lol. My mom doesn't want me to lose weight because she's ashamed of having a fat daughter or anything like that! I talk about health and nutrition a lot around the house and she knows how hard I'm trying to lose weight. She wants nothing more than for me to be happy so she's helping in the only way she knows how. I'm doing this for me and not trying to please anybody else :). Sorry for the confusion!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Tell your mother to mind her own business when it comes to your weightloss. Why the hell does she want you to lose 5lbs? She should be encouraging you to do it in the healthiest way possible and this diet is not it.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    X post with your last post op.

Ok, so your Mother is trying to help. Well, I would politely tell her no thanks, that you'll keep going with just eating less and moving more and see where that gets you.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Sure you'll lose weight with this. But what happens when you finish it? Do you think you could return to solid foods and meat in moderation keep the weight permanently off? It would be very difficult babe! The weight you lose will include fat, but a large portion of it will be water weight and glycogen, which will return when you eat normally again.

Diets like the South Beach Diet are very restrictive, but for short periods of time and and much healthier than living on sugary smoothies, I'd give it a try if you're going to try a diet :)

Good Luck :)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    meat is the best source of iron...cut it out and ...you know the rest
  • anabell31
    Options
    I edited my original post with more information. I'm so sorry for causing so much confusion! And I can't tell you guys enough how much I appreciate your responses :)
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Cutting out certain food groups is, and always has been useless. The only reason it "works" is because of you cut out what makes up a large quantity of your daily calorie intake, you're going to also be drastically cutting your calories too. Smoothies are the same concept. You don't need them.

If you want to lose weight quicker short term, then cut your calories drastically and try to fit in as many nutrient-dense foods, like lean meats and veggies, as possible so at least you won't be super duper starving.

But keep in mind, it's SHORT term, so when you go off of the temporary calorie restriction (unless you're careful to slowly work your calories back up afterwards, but a lot of people don't have the patience for that) you should expect to gain at least some of it back. It is POSSIBLE not to though.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Most likely that worked for the person who told your mother because his calorie intake was reduced. There's not really anything inherently unsafe about doing that for a few weeks, it's not something like the Master Cleanse or whatever, not some crazy diet product that you start ingesting, so I don't really see where all the concern comes from. However, you didn't say what the breakfast "smoothie" is. Is that something packaged that you have to buy? Or is it a smoothie you make? Smoothies can be a great way to get a bunch of nutrition in quickly. During the summer I often have a smoothie for breakfast because it's too hot for me to want to eat much else, but my smoothies contain nut milk, kale, fruit, ground flax or hemp seeds, cinnamon. But it's because of the heat and using it as a way to get in more fruit and veggies easily. If the smoothie is some mix you buy, then I would say forget it. So, just to reiterate, it's likely that person lost weight because of a reduction in calories.
  • anabell31
    Options
    However, you didn't say what the breakfast "smoothie" is. Is that something packaged that you have to buy? Or is it a smoothie you make?

I would definitely make my own. My roommate used the pre-packaged stuff and it had so much added sugar and chemicals I couldn't pronounce
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lose 5lbs of what? Water? If is was just water weight there wouldn't be any real significant physical difference in look or physique.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything wrong with not eating meat or drinking smoothies for breakfast. I'm assuming that this isn't some magical "weight loss" smoothie. It's possible that by cutting out more calorie dense foods that guy drastically reduced his overall intake, resulting in serious weight loss.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    It's not like your weight is going to be on a sign around your neck when you get off the plane.

Actually, if I actually had to wear a sign like this I think I would be successful more quickly with my eating plan :D

I personally would just eat healthily. Smoothies could be a very healthy substitution for your diet if you were normally overeating worse foods for breakfast. Maybe that is why they lost the weight, though, in a week chances are good that it wasn't all fat loss anyway.

Just my two cents.
  • weightwatchers2
    Options
    I drink visalus shakes for breakfast and it has all the nutrition value in it that you need. Plus I have healthy snacks in between and a healthy supper. all my food has protein in it as it keeps your metabolism going and it makes you feel full longer along with fiber. There are so many gimicky "diets out there" there is no quick fix it's a total lifestyle change. I use recipes from the biggest loser and also the pink method which is designed for women. They teach you how to eat. If you want more info just ask. I think the word "diet" should be taken out of our vocabulary.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I drink visalus shakes for breakfast and it has all the nutrition value in it that you need. Plus I have healthy snacks in between and a healthy supper. all my food has protein in it as it keeps your metabolism going and it makes you feel full longer along with fiber. There are so many gimicky "diets out there" there is no quick fix it's a total lifestyle change. I use recipes from the biggest loser and also the pink method which is designed for women. They teach you how to eat. If you want more info just ask. I think the word "diet" should be taken out of our vocabulary.

Visalus does not have all the nutrition you need. On its own it is very low calorie, low fat and low protein. Plus most of the vitamins are synthetic.