What's with The Notebook?

Options

Replies

• SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    The Notebook is one of my favorite romance movies. Summer love, passion, the way they never stopped loving each other even though they each thought the other had moved on... :sigh: And the ending, the way he was by her side until the very end. I cry every time. Is it "practical" or "realistic"...probably not, but who watches movies for realism? :laugh:

I'm with you on this!

No one watches movies for realism, but you still have woman going and comparing it to a real relationship. That's why I see all those "I want a Notebook Romance" things on Tumblr. Heh.
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I did enjoy looking at Gosling. I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't kick him out of bed. The costumes and hair and makeup were also fabulous. But Vogue has those things too and I can read that while I poop.

the best few sentences i have read all day
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I loved it and watched it many times. :heart:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I thought the end was sad. Alzheimer's is sad. That's about it.
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    I've never had an interest in seeing it as I thought it was a "chick flick".
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That's also something I don't understand. Arguments... I've been in two relationships that lasted over 3 years and I've never had a straight out argument. If we disagree we just talk it out.
    [/quote]

Sometimes you have to fight. I am happily married going on 8 years, and yes we fight. not often but we do. It's natural, it's part of life. It can't be all bunnies and sunshine all the time.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I would rather scrub my testes with sandpaper and a wire brush than watch that movie.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Never seen it. Sounded to girly for me. I like films such as Beerfest.

Lady Homebrewer - 3yrs
    MFP Smarty-pants and sometimes food logger
    Also, boobs.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am a chick flick junkie and I hated The Notebook... and The Time Travelers Wife was probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen... lol
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think i saw it. The book was so much better. But that's generally the case. Twilight's a good example of that. And I refuse to see My Sisters Keeper, another Sparks novel since someone told me that the end of the movie is not the same as the book. Not even close.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My husband made me watch that movie. I guess he thought that I would like it. I swear I would rather stand here and let you beat me with a stick. I do not like chick flicks of any kind.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Bleh. If you've read/seen one Nicholas Sparks book/movie, you've read/seen them all. I let a group of friends drag me to 'Nights in Rodanthe' against my better judgement. At the end, they were all crying and I was pissed off, wanting to punch every one of them in the neck. I was like, "I KNEW someone was going to die! Someone always dies!" Yes, I totally just spoiled the movie and now if you haven't seen it, you don't have to. You're welcome.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The only part that made me cry was when she didnt recognize him and she freaked out and he started crying. If you have ever had grandparents or anyone in your life with dementia or alzheimer's, this will kill you. It broke my heart. The rest was meh.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah haven't watched the movie but the book was great. Same with Twilight. Movies-OK (Kellan Lutz :blushing: ) But books always better.

My ideal chick flick is AVENGERS! can we just say hot stuff Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth? :love:
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I love Rachel McAdams but I still haven't seen that movie, and probably never will. :p
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think i saw it. The book was so much better. But that's generally the case. Twilight's a good example of that. And I refuse to see My Sisters Keeper, another Sparks novel since someone told me that the end of the movie is not the same as the book. Not even close.

My Sister's Keeper was not written by Nicholas Sparks. It was Jodi Picoult.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    The only part that made me cry was when she didnt recognize him and she freaked out and he started crying. If you have ever had grandparents or anyone in your life with dementia or alzheimer's, this will kill you. It broke my heart.
    ^^^Agreed! I didn't "get" their whole teen romance because they were always fighting. The "love story" in the whole book/movie to me was how he never gave up on her, even when she no longer recognized him. He held on for the brief moments she would. Then how they died together was sweet.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok I have heard about the movie and never seen it and don't have the urge too. I hate chick flicks and yes that includes Titanic. I just can't get into it. I feel my brain cells disappearing every time I watch one.

I'll watch "Gigli"(shudders) before I watch a chick flick.:noway:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Totally underwhelmed by The Notebook, although I may have cried. Perhaps it's too sad to watch again?

How about an old 80's flick like Say Anything, or maybe Pride & Prejudice with Colin and his wet shirt? Ha-ha!! :tongue:
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girly, chick flick lover. At all. I accept the movie for what is was, but I don't ever watch a movie expected to model love on it.

Also, keep in mind that just b/c the movies suck, it doesn't mean the books and author do.

A Walk To Remember was a great book. The movie made me throw fits.