People that drink whey protein gain weight???!!!

Options
veromancha
veromancha Posts: 158 Member
A good friend of mine convinced a trainer at her gym to come out to our neighborhood and offer a boot camp class twice a week. I joined in on the fun because I love a challenge! Today after our work out the trainer pulls out these meal replacement shakes that only contained about 9g of protein for about 40-60 bucks (outrages):noway: !! I showed no interest because I don’t believe in short fixes and from experience I know that if I drink meal replacement shakes the moment I start eating whole foods I will gain what I lost. I also know that NSV’s are way better than losing 10lbs of water/muscle!!

He asked me if I drank any supplements and I told him that I drink whey protein after heavy lifting and big workouts, and then he had the nerve to say in front of all the women that people that drink protein put on weight!! I was very annoyed because I know his intentions were to sell his product (which is fine if you buy into that) but to shut me down which by the way I’ve lost only about 14lbs in almost 4 months but I went down from a size 12 to an 8/10!! I gave him a very sassy response by telling him that I am no expert but I do my research, I might have been a little harsh!:tongue:

So MFP’s, please share your success with supplementing your diet with whey protein because I know there are a lot of you good looking people that have successfully lost fat and gained muscle!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm not supplementing like I use to, but I love them!

Since I got serious, I've lost 15lbs and almost 20 inches. I take in a LOT of protein, including shakes. If this numbskull were right, I would be bigger than before!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What a Moron!!! He must have gotten his credentials from a cracker jack box!!! I lost 37 lbs. over the last year all while lifting weights and having a protein shake before and after my workouts. Whey protein has nothing to do with gaining weight. Granted a lot of people who are trying to bulk use it to up their calorie intake while getting some good quality protein, but it is still calories in calories burned! Just drinking a protein shake is not going to make you gain weight. I think I would have to question everything else this "trainer" says as well!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think what he is trying to refer to is with some whey protein powders it is what they are sweetened with that makes the difference. I for one react to protein powdered shakes. It doesn't make me gain per say but it does stall my weight loss if I do them more then 1 or 2 times in a week. Everyones body is different. I think he was just trying to let you know it could happen if you use them too often.
  • mcleodconnor
    Options
    I do 3 scoops and eat approximately 200g of protein per day. I am maintaining my weight easily. It is always a simple math equation of calories in and calories out. Don't listen to the bull that guy is saying.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The trainer is feeding you a bunch of BS, and it's a shame.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    yep all BS,

I have lost 43lb in four months from excercise and mfp food logging and protein shakes 3/4 times a week
    ( i was having them everyday for the 8 weeeks or so and lost heaps but i had plenty to lose too)

dont listen to the crap

(p.s like others have said just watch the calories in/out, also some shakes have heaps more calories than others)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    What an idiot. I use whey protein 2x/day and have defintiely NOTgained any weight!

ETA for crappy spelling!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    9G of protein in a shake is WAY too low. Mine has 25g (GNC Total Lean 25) and I pay way less. I usually have one for breakfast and one for a snack, and I have seen some weight loss success.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    The trainer is feeding you a bunch of BS, and it's a shame.

signed :grumble:
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is just stupid! I drink a whey protein shake after every workout and even though I have only lost 13 pounds in the last 90 days, I have dropped 2 pant sizes and gained so much muscle.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Makes me gain weight, and not a good gain, felt all bloated and tummyaches, but if it works for you, great!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein daily after my work outs. I take about 60 grams of protein from whey and another 60 grams from fish/tofu etc. I manage 120 grams of protein daily and I have lost plenty of weight.

Guy was trying to sell his crappy shake! Ignore it.
  • Zbigniew1
    Zbigniew1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it though. I always wonder when running a half-marathon, how the other participants can have time stuff themselves with all the bars, gels, etc they've stuck in their belts - when also taking an energy drink at every depot AND eathing a banana, apple, two chocolate bars, etc that are usually given at the finish line. I really believe that some of them are eating more calories than they are burning in such a race :-)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    wow..... I drink the Walker shakes which have like 24g of protein (used to do Spriatien but trying to get away from the Soy & carbs)- i use it as a lunch or sometimes just before I go to the gym (along w/ BCAA for DOMS) and I've LOST weight since I've been using them.

That dude is a __________. And you'r right, he's just selling his "product", but it gave him no right to pull that crud and dis you like that in front of everyone. I hope none of them bought his stuff :(
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    LMAO. that "personal trainer" has much to learn. You can tell him that this is me BEFORE at 232.2 lbs MArch3rd 2011, then AFTER on January 10th, 2012 42lbs lost, drinking WHEY protein EVERY SINGLE DAY. LOL.

Before-AfterP90X.jpg

This next set is from April 30th 2012 thru May 26th 2012 part of my current 90 day challenge.

Day1-Day27Progress-60.jpg

DSCN1261-email.jpg

DSCN1255-email.jpg
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ugh.. it wasn't a Body by Vi shake he was promoting, was it?
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Makes me gain weight, and not a good gain, felt all bloated and tummyaches, but if it works for you, great!

I wonder if you have an intolerance. My wife can take WHEY at all but because of an intolerance to it. She uses CASEIN or VEGAN proteins. Just a thought, you look great by the way so whatever your doing keep going!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump

Oh those body by vi people are relentless. My husband and I have a couple that are our friends who sell it. They both have "FREE" bmw's because of how much they are selling. So annoying.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I wonder if you have an intolerance. My wife can take WHEY at all but because of an intolerance to it. She uses CASEIN or VEGAN proteins. Just a thought, you look great by the way so whatever your doing keep going!

I can only take it in the mornings if I mix it with fruit or eat toast along with it. If I don't then I feel sick to my stomach. In the evenings I usually mix it with 1 cup of milk or almond milk and I'm fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    It's too bad there are trainers out there who aren't really well educated. Gives us other ones a bad rap.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!