grrrr, im gaining!!!!

2»

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    If you levels are the correct ones for you, you can it 1200 cals just not for an extended period of time or your levels (if you are like me) will drop. Everybody is different. But eating low calories for an extended period of time will cause a drop in metabolism for anyone but it is harder in the hypothyriod and you will see a weight gain.

If you going to up your calories try 50-100 every week-10 days. According to the You doctors you body doesn't notice (won't react) if you shave or increase calories by 100 or less.

Calorie shifting is a good idea. Once every 8-10 days I'll leave a additional 500 calories on top of my 400 cal deficit but I try not to do it often.

IvyKivy,
    I calculated my BMR and it said 1702. I was trying to stick between 1200 and 1300 calories a day because I thought the fewer I ate(but atleast 1000) the more weight I would lose. IT sounds like from what you are syaing, with our throid conditiom that it does quite the opposite. So our thyroid needs more claories to keep our metabolism where it needs to be? What do you think about having some higher calorie days and some lower calorie days like 1300-1400 one day and 1500-1700 the next. Will that state of confusion help or make things worse? IM just so scared to eat my BMR which is 1702. That sounds like a lot of calories, especially if Im not working out a whole lot yet. THanks for the info.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    IvyKivy,
    I calculated my BMR and it said 1702. I was trying to stick between 1200 and 1300 calories a day because I thought the fewer I ate(but atleast 1000) the more weight I would lose. IT sounds like from what you are syaing, with our throid conditiom that it does quite the opposite. So our thyroid needs more claories to keep our metabolism where it needs to be? What do you think about having some higher calorie days and some lower calorie days like 1300-1400 one day and 1500-1700 the next. Will that state of confusion help or make things worse? IM just so scared to eat my BMR which is 1702. That sounds like a lot of calories, especially if Im not working out a whole lot yet. THanks for the info.

You would only eat 1700 calories if your goal was to maintain your current weight. To lose 1 pound/ week, you would eat 1200 (BMR - 500) calories and no less.
  • Thank You Everyone,
    All of your sgguestions and info. is making sense to me.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Im weighing myself everyday though I am trying not to.

quit it! i did the same thing and discouraged myself into eating more. Stop! I now weigh myself once a week and its getting easier to walk by the scale!
  • ivykivy
    But 1200 calories is not enough nutrition for the average person period so even if you eat 1200 totally nutritious calories you still will be missing something. That is why multivitamins are recommended.

I wasn't aware she had a sugar addiction I didn't see it in her post.
    Sugar or any other component really shouldn't have an effect especially when you're eating 1200 calories. Unless you're a diabetic.

I think when anything is glaringly out of balance in our diets, it's probably having some negative effect. If you're only eating 1200 calories, you would want those 1200 to be packed with nutrition. We're all trying to develop a healthier relationship with food, and breaking the sugar addiction is one step.
  • ivykivy
    Also I think people are confused about how many calories a person uses.

TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure = BMR + Calories you burn doing daily activities (bathing dressing working talking sitting etc) + your excercise.

Your BMR IS calories burned if you were in a coma.

BMR is the minimum amount of calories you need to stay alive if you were in a coma.

So if you subtract calories from your BMR you are cheating yourself out of 500 extra calories.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member

TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure = BMR + Calories you burn doing daily activities (bathing dressing working talking sitting etc) + your excercise.

BMR is the minimum amount of calories you need to stay alive if you were in a coma.

So if you subtract calories from your BMR you are cheating yourself out of 500 extra calories.

I was just about to correct that myself. It's a common error, and one that can lead to trouble. :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

I was just about to correct that myself. It's a common error, and one that can lead to trouble. :flowerforyou:

I would like to correct myself as well, but MFP won't let me. lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    This is why it is important to accurately gauge your activity level. Don't say you are Moderately active if you walk to the mailbox every day as your claim to exertion. Or claim Sedentary when you actually work two jobs and run around after three kids (like I did initially). Because these activity levels affect the calorie goals MFP sets for you to lose.
  • ok, well ive decided to lock up the scale until after my T.O.M. I think IM going to start weighing myself once a month right after my period. Otherwise Im afraid I will become obsessive and that gets me nowhere, except into trouble. Maybe later I will get to the point where I can weigh once a week or every other week without feeling drawn to the scale after every meal and workout. :) I did the Jillian MIchaels no more trouble zones this afternoon and glad I did. I really think the circuit training will really help me tone up and trim down faster. IM gonna try doing a video in the am and either treadmill or jump rope at night! I'll keep ya posted and see how it goes. Thanks Again
    ~~Gonna Keep Moving~~
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    IvyKivy,

You would only eat 1700 calories if your goal was to maintain your current weight. To lose 1 pound/ week, you would eat 1200 (BMR - 500) calories and no less.

Check out this thread about the difference between BMR and TDEE:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30898-bmr-vs-tdee-what-mfp-is-telling-you

TDEE is what one eats to maintain the current weight. BMR is the minimum number of cals to function if one was just lying in bed all day--as SBS says "in a coma".
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    :wink:
  • im still gaining and Im getting upset. I dont know what else to do. I just want to quit!!!!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    im still gaining and Im getting upset. I dont know what else to do. I just want to quit!!!!!!!

First things first. If you have a diagnosed thyroid condition. Tell your doctor you are trying to lose weight in a healthy manner and need a metabolic rate test done. It's the only truly accurate way for someone with an abnormal metabolism to know their maintenance calories. Once you have your true metabolic rate and maintenance calories, THEN you can subtract a goal caloric number from that. This site is designed for people with normal metabolisms, with hypothyroidism (even with medication), the goals should be different, and will not conform to normal weight loss. I strongly recommend going to your doctor and getting this test done. Most insurance will cover it with your diagnosis. Then you should be able to go to a registered dietitian (also should be covered) and talk with them about your condition and how to be healthy about it.

This site is great for what it can do, but it's not really a great tool for people who have medical conditions that change the way your body burns calories.
  • great, I dont have insurance. I wonder what I can do about it now. Im so depressed about my weight. This sucks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Hon, there's LOTS of help for insurance for single moms out there.

here's a good article on it, and links to helpful sites at the bottom.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cheap-Health-Insurance-For-Single-Mothers&id=1678991

beyond that, there's financial aid, outreach and human resource programs, and charitable organizations out there like the Salvation Army that all give help for people in your situation.
  • So, I ate a cheeseburger and a bowel of frozen yogurt yesterday and im down 7 lbs since the last time i weighed in. Im not sure how that happened. Maybe my body really needed the fat in that burger. Id been keeping my fat intake as low as i coulld.Maybe you all are right, maybe I need to switch it up a bit and allow my self to have some things periodically. I mean, I wouldnt eat burgers and frozen yogurt for every meal, but maybe when I hit a plateau, maybe I do need to increse my calories a bit. I would have thought I needed ti decrease them, but you cant go much lower than 1200-1300 without being too low, right? I don't know. IM sorry about being so depressed lately and discouraging. ITs close to my T.O.M. and that is never good for me or my weight. I can get anywhere from 5-7 lbs a week prior to starting, but as long as I dont get discouraged and go nuts with eatting choclate I typically loose it all plusa pound. I hope I can continue to figure out the plateus and work through them.
This discussion has been closed.