My Response To Common Weight Loss Myths

Options

Replies

• frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I didn't take 2 years of chemistry and Organic chemistry to waste it. My teacher would be proud lol
    This is pretty much the most telling bit.

Thanks for sharing.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Trolls on a fitness forum... i guess they are everywhere. w.e

So do I.
    So far the only thing you have been able to prove are you abilities to :
    - being rude
    - being unable to source
    - feel ofended everytime a question is asked
    - perpetuate weight loss myths

Glad though I had 8 glasses of water today, I feel better
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can someone please give me the cliffs to this? I tried to read then my ADD kicked in and I was done.

What myths are being refuted here?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can someone please give me the cliffs to this? I tried to read then my ADD kicked in and I was done.

What myths are being refuted here?

Me too
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Maybe if I thought you were serious about keeping your identity a secret, you would have used a different screen name (you can google it, like you told everyone to do). Since you already said you were a student at LSU, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who you are.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Trolls on a fitness forum... i guess they are everywhere. w.e

Sorry to use wikipedia here but a troll is defined as:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Did not see any trolling at all - nothing inflammatory, extraneous or off topic.

See, I quoted the source.
    Wikipedia as well as .com , .net, and .org are not valid sources in the first place. The simple fact that your posting ridiculous stuff like that. Is trolling. It has nothing to do with the thread title. Therefore it is spam.....

Really? - you are arguing me about using wikipedia for the definition of internet slang? Good grief.

ETA: but it was related to the post I quoted so your arguement is invalid.

Agreed.

I don't even know what weight loss myths you were talking about so using your own logic, your post has nothing to do with the thread title either.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    Actually, I graduated from LSU and live in LA and have a pretty good idea where he's researching and they do a TON of good work here with diabetic, overweight and elderly people in the community
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Actually, I graduated from LSU and live in LA and have a pretty good idea where he's researching and they do a TON of good work here with diabetic, overweight and elderly people in the community

Do they do any work with cliffs notes or people with ADD?
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options

Not that I know of, but I did donate my body to science one summer to them once!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Not that I know of, but I did donate my body to science one summer to them once!

Pics.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    20120508125316-427c7ae7.gif
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Without your credentials, which you have carefully made sure we did not have, what you write is just so many words as well. Unless you have credentials in medicine and nutrition and can cite the journals you've published this information in, it's unsubstantiated opinion. You would have done better to post links to the information in peer-reviewed journals. As a scientist, you know that the gold standard in information is the peer-reviewed journal, so why give us your opinions when peer-reviewed data exists? Point us at the studies! If you want your "scientific" opinion accepted, state your actual credentials so we can check them for ourselves and link us to your studies so we can see the peer-review and methodology.

I agree with this.

To the OP: Presentation also counts. If you're publishing a lengthy piece of writing on the web that you expect people to take seriously you should always proofread and check for grammatical errors. You should include spaces in between paragraphs, have consistent style in your headings, etc., do whatever you can to make your article easy to read. I understand that you may be only 20 years old, but that's not an excuse. I don't care that you supposedly don't have time, you've consumed MY time in asking me to read what you wrote.

I think it's nice that you're trying to help.
    Agree with all this, especially for someone who says they are working on being a published writer. This doesn't read like someone with the credentials to be a published writer.

I also agree.

Part of being a scientist is learning to take criticism of your work. You've demonstrated a complete failure in your ability to take criticism here by attacking those who, rightfully, questioned your claims. The article you wrote initially is borderline incoherent, lacks any citations to legitimate scientific literature, and is disorganized at best. If I read this article from a student of mine, the grade would be very poor.

I highly recommend you think more about what you post before you make a thread like this so that we understand your points more clearly and provide the necessary references or citations.

My credentials:
    M.S. in Mathematics, finishing up a Ph.D. in biology at a top tier university
    I've been teaching basic biology and calculus for the last 5 years as well.
    8 publications (4 of which occurred as an undergraduate) and a book coauthorship.

P.S. I'm not saying any of this to be mean to you at all, but it's important to get your head around these concepts if you ever plan to be successful in science. Furthermore, there are a lot of people on here including Acg67, Sidesteal, and PercivalHackworth who know a lot about nutrition and fitness. Their opinions are based in science, so it is unwise to dismiss them as "trolls" when they question you.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

My credentials
    8 publications (4 of which occurred as an undergraduate) and a book coauthorship.
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess
    Losing weight and generally kicking *kitten* and taking names

Fixed.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

My credentials
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess

Fixed.

Lol! Awesomeness
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

My credentials
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess

Fixed.

:heart:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

My credentials
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess

Fixed.

Love this
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    With a writing style like that, you don't have to worry about doing any grad work (or getting published without a DAMN good editor). Are you sure you're not a high school junior? If colleges are letting in quasi-literate people who don't even understand how to cite references by year 3 of school, then that makes me a SAD PANDA.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

My credentials
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess
    making no excuses and rocking the weight lifting.

Fixed.

fixed again
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    My credentials:

Also Head Girl House Slythern.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Liz wins the internets today.

I love the juniors and undergrads (who are not even studying in the same field) preaching their gospel to us all...

I couldn't imagine the young 20 something version of myself strolling to a managers meeting and telling them 'how it is'. If you want to be taken seriously as an author OP, stick to accepted professional conventions such as citing relevant works, and coherent and concise writing.