My Response To Common Weight Loss Myths

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

OP- What exactly are you babbling about?
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Holy chow!!!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    20120508125316-427c7ae7.gif
    Congratulations sir, you have won the thread.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    20120508125316-427c7ae7.gif
    Congratulations sir, you have won the thread.

= Too Long; Didn't Read

:laugh: :laugh: WIN!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hi. I will introduce myself. I am currently a single mom to a 10 yr old. I major in being both mom & dad. I enjoy UFC, football, and short paragraphs.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Hi. I will introduce myself. I am currently a single mom to a 10 yr old. I major in being both mom & dad. I enjoy UFC, football, and short paragraphs.

Brilliant! Now I will proceed to steal your identity and email you terrible things.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

My credentials
    M.S. in Mathematics, finishing up a Ph.D. in biology at a top tier university
    I've been teaching basic biology and calculus for the last 5 years as well.
    8 publications (4 of which occurred as an undergraduate) and a book coauthorship.
    Full of awesomeness
    Kitchen Goddess
    Losing weight and generally kicking *kitten* and taking names

Fixed.

:heart:

Love this

Ditto.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump to read for later
  • ohdearlaura
    ohdearlaura Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Without your credentials, which you have carefully made sure we did not have, what you write is just so many words as well. Unless you have credentials in medicine and nutrition and can cite the journals you've published this information in, it's unsubstantiated opinion. You would have done better to post links to the information in peer-reviewed journals. As a scientist, you know that the gold standard in information is the peer-reviewed journal, so why give us your opinions when peer-reviewed data exists? Point us at the studies! If you want your "scientific" opinion accepted, state your actual credentials so we can check them for ourselves and link us to your studies so we can see the peer-review and methodology.

I agree with this.

To the OP: Presentation also counts. If you're publishing a lengthy piece of writing on the web that you expect people to take seriously you should always proofread and check for grammatical errors. You should include spaces in between paragraphs, have consistent style in your headings, etc., do whatever you can to make your article easy to read. I understand that you may be only 20 years old, but that's not an excuse. I don't care that you supposedly don't have time, you've consumed MY time in asking me to read what you wrote.

I think it's nice that you're trying to help.
    Agreed
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    OP...As a project management major who already works in the nutritional field and has often been in the position to hire new staff, I would like to help you here.

1. Whilst you may have some valid information, the readability of your post is incomprehensible and therefore any validity is going to be missed. This reads as a rough draft of an undergrad nutrition research paper. It lacks a proper introduction, does not have an understandable flow, and the conclusion is weak.

2. If in fact you are trying to become a published researcher, you need to be using APA or MLA formatting which requires referencing your sources. What you have here is sheer plagiarism masked as your own thoughts.

3. Should you be fortunate enough to have an internship or find employment in your field of choice, you will be challenged constantly. If you wish to be taken with any grain of seriousness, be prepared to back your fact with a credible argument. "Look it up on Google" will not only NOT fly with an employer, it will likely get you fired.

You are off to a good start, and have some good information that you pulled your facts from. Next time do not introduce yourself as an accomplished researcher without taking the time to appear that way. The way that you have presented your facts and the lack of substantiating your research leaves much to be desired.

Good luck in your learning
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    JUST GO AWAY, PenHead! Do you know how many people have FAILED doing that scientific BS...LOTS. LOL The ONLY Wt Loss Plan that WORKS is one that You can stick with, day in and day out! FIRST, KNOW how many calories you actually eat daily; then cut back at least 3200 per week ( 3200 cal = 1 lb.) until you learn what your Body needs or don't. TRUST Me, if you can't stick with an eating plan, you have NO chance! Peeps have known what PenHead just spouted off for like For EVER! DUH! That's the problem with a college kid, they think they invented The WORLD cause they scooped up some dirt! K.I.S.S.

ETA: Took that Thesis AWAY, it's just ridiculous!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Actually, I graduated from LSU and live in LA and have a pretty good idea where he's researching and they do a TON of good work here with diabetic, overweight and elderly people in the community

Do they do any work with cliffs notes or people with ADD?

Not that I know of, but I did donate my body to science one summer to them once!
    My husband did the blueberry study. The white of his eyes turned blue.
  • Raezor1207
    Raezor1207 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OP...As a project management major who already works in the nutritional field and has often been in the position to hire new staff, I would like to help you here.

1. Whilst you may have some valid information, the readability of your post is incomprehensible and therefore any validity is going to be missed. This reads as a rough draft of an undergrad nutrition research paper. It lacks a proper introduction, does not have an understandable flow, and the conclusion is weak.

2. If in fact you are trying to become a published researcher, you need to be using APA or MLA formatting which requires referencing your sources. What you have here is sheer plagiarism masked as your own thoughts.

3. Should you be fortunate enough to have an internship or find employment in your field of choice, you will be challenged constantly. If you wish to be taken with any grain of seriousness, be prepared to back your fact with a credible argument. "Look it up on Google" will not only NOT fly with an employer, it will likely get you fired.

You are off to a good start, and have some good information that you pulled your facts from. Next time do not introduce yourself as an accomplished researcher without taking the time to appear that way. The way that you have presented your facts and the lack of substantiating your research leaves much to be desired.

Oh, snap.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Well, I just discovered the OP deactivated, but no good scientific thread is fun without this:

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

Oh, snap.

I do what I can :tongue:
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump for later :-)
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you sound very cocky and are coming off very smug.

I'll stick to what works for me. You lost me when you said to read the gov't and edu websites. They are the last place I would look at for health and nutrition advice.

The same gov't that says fat causes heart disease........:huh:

The Lipid Hypothesis has been the greatest myth in all of health and nutrition if you ask me.
  • leckavrea
    leckavrea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. Presentation counts a lot. OP lost credibility immediately with me because of all the typos and poor organization of what he/she is trying to convey.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the OP deactivated. And this thread will more than likely get locked. So I'll throw my two-cents in anyway because I'm a forum-reknowned THREAD KILLER! Once I get in, that's it. For some reason, I KILL THREADS!

So here I am, to kill the thread for everybody.

While the OP deactivated, I hope he checks this later and sees this message. OP, you never stated that your word was gospel and that you were a genius, expert or even a fully credible scientist - and yet every single one of the sharks come out to play on you. Unfair.
    Sure, you overreacted and got defensive but the lesson here is when you try to help people just remember there are a lot of people who don't want help. You posted some parts of your post without any citations but I hardly see that as a deadly sin. Everyone needs to put their guns away.

Thanks for trying, OP. It was tl;dr IMO, but I can at least see you were trying to help. Which is something these forum-warriors need to remember.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    very helpful info....ty!! bump