Groceries Are Killing Me

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't spend that much for 3 people and I eat different than they do. Wow that's a boat load.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This thread really shows the difference in the price of food from state to state/province to province. For those of us that have high food prices we just have to do the best we can. For me here in Ontario, fruit is very expensive and it's all trucked up from the USA, except for grapes that come from Chile. Soon we'll start getting our local produce in, but for the long winter months it's mighty expensive.

Yeah, I think food must cost more in Canada. I live in British Columbia (on Vancouver Island) and everything is expensive because of transportation. Even a bare-bones budget I can't stay under $800 for a family of 4. We go to costco, shop the flyers, we don't have any useful coupons to speak of, and we never eat out. We don't eat a lot of cheap carbs (pasta only once a week, no white rice, no chips, crackers cookies, very little cereal) so we are mostly eating a crazy amount of meat, produce, eggs and dairy. To give you an example, here is a weekly list for my family of four:

2 - 4L milk = $10
    2- nonfat greek yogurt=$8
    1- whole farm chicken = $8
    2 doz eggs (healthy kind)=$7
    1 block of lowfat cheddar = $8
    2 loaves dempsters whole grain = $7
    1 lb gound beef (hormone free) = $4
    approx 8 chicken drumsticks = $3
    1 lbs strawberries = $3
    2 lbs apples = $2
    oranges $2
    a bajillion bananas @ 80 cents = $5
    costco bag of nuts or almonds = $10
    soups for lunch = $5
    cottage cheese= $5
    2 cans beans = $2
    box of spinach - $7
    head of lettuce= $1
    2 celery= $2
    2 almond milk = $4
    free trade coffee (I insist, and we never buy cafe drinks)= $10
    huge thing of protein powder = $10/wk
    granola bars (kids)=$3
    dempsters tortillas or pitas $4
    frozen fruit = $5
    frozen veg = $5
    cheerios (kids) = $5
    natural peanut butter and jam = $8

we are already at around $150.00 for the week, and I haven't included pet food, toilet paper, diapers, salad dressing, salsa and sour cream, batteries, shampoo, toothpaste, any tiny little extras like spices, baking items like flour, sugar, popcorn, butter etc, which usually pushes me well over $200 a week. I hardly ever buy grapes, blueberries etc as I just can't afford them anymore. We tried to cut lower and it was stuff like KD, hot dogs, pasta that we ended up eating, and we said "forget it" our health is worth it.

Sometimes I wonder if people with lower grocery costs are not factoring in eating out?

This is including shopping sales and costco etc.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate! It does cost a lot of money to re-vamp your pantry with healthy staples, like quinoa, brown rice, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, etc. But once you've spent that initial outlay, you'll just be replenishing as you use things, so it does get better! :)

I also cook for one, and used to spend a lot of money on food to make different recipes, and then ended up throwing a lot out, because I couldn't eat it all before it spoiled. I don't know if you're following a type of meal plan that tells you what to eat for 7 days straight, but what I've found to work for me is to look at a 7 day meal plan, pick 3 days of meals and buy enough to cover those 3 days twice. So if blueberries are on day 1 of a 7 day plan but they don't show up again, now they show up again on day 4, because you're repeating day 1. And your blueberries are still fresh! Likewise, if turkey burgers are on day 2, they're on day 5 again, so you can prepare them both on day 1 and its ready to go on day 5. And you know exactly how many ounces of ground turkey to buy.
    Sometimes, I buy and cook all of my meat portions for the week on Sunday, so I just have to reheat my portion later in the week. I also leave one day unplanned, for eating out, eating up leftovers, or whatever comes up.

It can get boring to repeat the same menu twice in a week, but you can change it up the next week, based on what you have in your pantry and freezer. If you look at what you have at home, and plan what you can make with it, before you go shopping for food, you can save a lot of money and not waste much.

Such a great idea, thanks!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if people with lower grocery costs are not factoring in eating out?

I would guess that maybe they're not shopping for hormone-free/cage-free etc.

While it'd be nice to be able to do that, my income is barely over $15k before taxes. I don't eat out very often (and when my friends and I go out, I tend to order a cup of soup), so I end up eating the cheap, factory farmed food. My average food cost is under $35 for myself. When I finally graduate (hallelujah! next year!) and get a real job, I'll be able to worry about things like that. For right now I am making sure I can pay the rent and not get the electricity shut off. (Edited: sorry, checked figures, that's $35/2 weeks -- I tend to think in biweekly paychecks)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ummm... wow. I feed myself, my very, very active husband, 7 y/o daughter, 91lb heeler and 41lb foxhound on about $450ish a month. And thats household items, school lunches and eating out about 2xs a week. No idea why one person would spend $600 on one month of groceries. Must be nice.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My bill isn't that high but I have found it to be higher as I'm eating healthier. I, also, find myself having to go to the store more....spinach and lettuce and greens just don't hold up in the fridge for two weeks like Ramen noodles and mac and cheese used to!!! :( Good luck..
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Ummm... wow. I feed myself, my very, very active husband, 7 y/o daughter, 91lb heeler and 41lb foxhound on about $450ish a month. And thats household items, school lunches and eating out about 2xs a week. No idea why one person would spend $600 on one month of groceries. Must be nice.

It is nice. I love it. I posted just so ya'll would know.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    It's way more expensive to eat clean and healthy, who are you guys kidding! I buy sale items and I buy what I can from local farmers but I spend more on healthy foods than before.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ok I feel the same way sometimes. Here are my tips:
    1. Use the bulk section at your grocery store. your beans, rice, lentils, quinoa, sugar, flour, and even spices from the dry bins (way cheaper....even when you are shopping at Whole Paycheck)
    2. Only buy seasonal produce. I subscribe to a CSA (community supported agriculture). I got a box of produce every week. It is about half as much produce that I might need for a week, organic, local and the small box is $14 a week
    3. Buy your staples when they go on sale
    4. Check the meat specials, and learn to adapt. Usually one or 2 meats a week are fairly cheap (even the natural ones). Load up on that week and freeze it.
    5. Learn when to buy the small package. I live alone, and there some things I just can't finish on my own. If I want to use fresh broccoli for stirfry, I just buy it from the salad bar instead of getting a whole head and letting it go to waste. Same with lettuce. And taco toppings.
    6. Comparison shop. I find that some things are cheaper at whole foods and others are cheaper at trader joes and others at the natural market. I shop them all for the best prices
    7. Get the 16 or 32 or 64 oz pack of greek yougurt. It is cheaper. Oh and go to Target. It is cheapest there.

I know for you families, you recommend Costoco, BJs, Sam's Club and so on. I live alone in a studio. I don't have space to store all of that stuff. It doesn't matter if it's cheaper if it doesn't fit in my freezer or pantry.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

It is actually easier to shop for a family than a single. You can better deals. I live alone. That 5# value pack of chicken breasts doesn't fit in my freezer. You also end up wasting more food if you don't shop carefully. It takes a lot of work to finish a bag of salad within the optimal 3 days before it goes bad if you live alone. You have to commit to eating that salad for 3 days in a row........
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree buy in bulk! Also stalk the sales at whole food, trader joes and wild by nature- they sell great "clean fooods".
    Also get your fruits and veggies from the farmer's market. You can play " let's make a deal" with them.
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm also finding it expensive to eat healthy. I'm sure I could probably make SOME cutbacks but I need to enjoy some things too. I'm in Ontario....not cheap by any means.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I am not spending 600 dollars but I am trying to figure out how to cook and shop for one. For example, Saturday night I was craving some Kung Pao so I went to ralphs got some shrimp, chicken, green peppers, onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and some Kung Pao sauce. Got home chopped it all up cooked it and Yummy it was good...I use MFP to estimate the calories (I really should have created a new food and added up all the calories) but the problem is it wasn't really cheap to buy around (50 dollars, but I have extra chicken and shrimp in the freezer) but over all it was a good deal becuase it made 6 servings...I don't like to freeze things like that so I am having Kung Pao for the next 4 days :(
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This thread really shows the difference in the price of food from state to state/province to province. For those of us that have high food prices we just have to do the best we can. For me here in Ontario, fruit is very expensive and it's all trucked up from the USA, except for grapes that come from Chile. Soon we'll start getting our local produce in, but for the long winter months it's mighty expensive.

Yeah, I think food must cost more in Canada. I live in British Columbia (on Vancouver Island) and everything is expensive because of transportation. Even a bare-bones budget I can't stay under $800 for a family of 4. We go to costco, shop the flyers, we don't have any useful coupons to speak of, and we never eat out. We don't eat a lot of cheap carbs (pasta only once a week, no white rice, no chips, crackers cookies, very little cereal) so we are mostly eating a crazy amount of meat, produce, eggs and dairy. To give you an example, here is a weekly list for my family of four:

2 - 4L milk = $10
    2- nonfat greek yogurt=$8
    1- whole farm chicken = $8
    2 doz eggs (healthy kind)=$7
    1 block of lowfat cheddar = $8
    2 loaves dempsters whole grain = $7
    1 lb gound beef (hormone free) = $4
    approx 8 chicken drumsticks = $3
    1 lbs strawberries = $3
    2 lbs apples = $2
    oranges $2
    a bajillion bananas @ 80 cents = $5
    costco bag of nuts or almonds = $10
    soups for lunch = $5
    cottage cheese= $5
    2 cans beans = $2
    box of spinach - $7
    head of lettuce= $1
    2 celery= $2
    2 almond milk = $4
    free trade coffee (I insist, and we never buy cafe drinks)= $10
    huge thing of protein powder = $10/wk
    granola bars (kids)=$3
    dempsters tortillas or pitas $4
    frozen fruit = $5
    frozen veg = $5
    cheerios (kids) = $5
    natural peanut butter and jam = $8

we are already at around $150.00 for the week, and I haven't included pet food, toilet paper, diapers, salad dressing, salsa and sour cream, batteries, shampoo, toothpaste, any tiny little extras like spices, baking items like flour, sugar, popcorn, butter etc, which usually pushes me well over $200 a week. I hardly ever buy grapes, blueberries etc as I just can't afford them anymore. We tried to cut lower and it was stuff like KD, hot dogs, pasta that we ended up eating, and we said "forget it" our health is worth it.

This is including shopping sales and costco etc.

I feel your pain. From looking at your list, some are more expensive here, some cheaper, but averages out about the same in the long run for doing a shop. I would love to buy plums and peaches...but no way, not unless it's at the farmers market in the summer. They look awful in the store and are priced high. I can buy 4 grapefruits and it costs almost 8 bucks. Depends on the time of year. Costco is great for the staples and paper products. Oh and strawberries.......yikes. A pint for 6 bucks. And you have to check for any fuzz underneath, lol.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Check out a website www.southernsavers.com. It lists stores, ads, and coupon that correlate to the ads. Anyway, you may not save money on food, but you will save money on laundry detergent, toothpaste, deoderant, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. These savings may help balance out the cost of food. Hope this helps.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's way more expensive to eat clean and healthy, who are you guys kidding! I

Not really, I buy everything on sale at Food Lion.
    If chicken is on sale, I stock up on chicken, and
    freeze it. Right now I have 5 spiral cut hams in
    the fridge I paid about $15 each that weigh around
    9 pounds.

Meal one: Ham with a rice and lentils.
    Cost:
    $15 for the Ham
    $1 small bag of lentils Lentils (makes more than one)
    $2.50 bag of rice (makes a lot more than one)
    $1.50 can of diced tomates with green chilies.
    A small onion? Usually spend around $3 for a 5 lb bag.

Serves 8
    Total: $2.50 each! Say $3 if I have to buy onions. :laugh:

I always have the other stuff on hand such as seasoning,
    olive oil, and yes onions..

Meal two: Ham and swiss sandwiches on whole grain
    bread. Usually less than a week, we are sick of ham,
    so I cube up 1 1/4 - 1/2 pounds of meat, and freeze it
    along with the ham bone.
    Cost:
    Ham $ Bought and paid for.
    $2.50 Swiss cheese (10 slices)
    $2.50 Whole Grain Bread (loaf) (7-8 sandwiches???)
    $2 bag of utz Kettle Classics Reduced Fat
    (not all that bad for you if you stick to the serving size)
    Plus odds are you might have some sprouts, lettuce,
    or maybe a tomato hanging around.

Total: $7
    Serves $7+
    Total: :tongue:

Meal three: Ham and bean soup!
    Serves: 16
    Cost:
    Ham, Bought and paid for.
    $3??? Beans
    $1.50 pound of carrots (makes more than one)
    $3.00 Onion if I had to go out and buy them.
    $1 Water (I buy my water, cause our tap water sucks!)
    $2 Say I had to buy garlic.

Cost: $11?
    Serves 16
    Total: $ You do the math.. :wink:

I'm not even going to count all the other stuff I have
    on hand that lasts forever...

HamandBeanSoup.png

There's no way I could feed a family of three at McDonalds
    every day even at 2 meals!

We'd need two #?s, and a Happy Meal. Can't remember
    the last time I was at McDonalds, but I'm guessing it would
    be around $15 per visit for us. $30 a day times 7 equals
    $210 per week. I budget about $125 per week on food.
    pantry is stocked, as well as the freezer all bought while
    on SALE. That includes eating out once a week. Food Lion
    must have the best prices on earth. I have an MVP card,
    and not afraid to use it! :tongue:
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live in the boonies, the closest major centre is an hour drive, and I hate dragging my 3 kids along on grocery days, but they're too young to stay home (2 more years!!)

We live on a farm, so our beef is our own, cut & wrapped at our local butcher shop. I order my pork from the butcher as well. Chickens come whole from the Hutterite farmers when they're around (usually buy 5-8 per purchase). Chicken breasts (or pieces) are a treat if I can find them on sale (rarely).

Some of our veggies are garden-grown, but with such a short summer season, I focus on carrots, peas, onions & potatoes. Otherwise fresh produce can kill a family, at the prices they're asking for in the stores. Walmart doesn't have produce where I live, so I'm stuck with the Safeway, Superstore or Sobey's for selection and cost. And it takes a lot of fresh produce to keep a husband, 3 boys and myself stocked for the week.

I try to bake any bread & buns that we need, but it's hard too. Carbs are the staple of the family, unfortunately. And I hate cooking 2 different menus (mine and theirs).

I honestly have no clue what we spend on groceries each month. $400 easily, which includes paper goods, produce (salad fixings & fruit), bakery (breads and buns if I haven't baked), meat (other than beef & pork).
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    coupons, I clip lots of coupons, plus I also shop at the cheaper stores like save a lot n aldis. I go where the deals are.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options

I would guess that maybe they're not shopping for hormone-free/cage-free etc.

While it'd be nice to be able to do that, my income is barely over $15k before taxes. I don't eat out very often (and when my friends and I go out, I tend to order a cup of soup), so I end up eating the cheap, factory farmed food. My average food cost is under $35 for myself. When I finally graduate (hallelujah! next year!) and get a real job, I'll be able to worry about things like that. For right now I am making sure I can pay the rent and not get the electricity shut off. (Edited: sorry, checked figures, that's $35/2 weeks -- I tend to think in biweekly paychecks)

It's true, those are choices I am making. Although I can't afford organic anything, even though Jillian keeps telling me to buy it!
    When I was in university my husband and I used to spend $50 a week on groceries, combined. But we lived right next to an awesome chinese grocery where I could get two bags of produce for $20! And we lived on ramen noodles and peanut butter. So I guess what I'm saying is I have been there, and I don't ever wanna go back! :-)