Groceries Are Killing Me

Options
1234568»

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    $600 a month for one? holy crap. what the heck are you buying? lobster? shrimp? I spend less than half of that month for just myself. The most I've spent for a week is $80 and that held me over for a week and a half if not two weeks. The least I spend is about $35. I do majority of my shopping at Walmart and search for the best deals.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's weird to me how everyone thinks $600 a month is a lot. That only $150 week. That's easy. Maybe there are huge regional differences. But, if I told people at work that I spend $600 a month, I think they would laugh and start telling me how much they spend, as in double. I'm pretty frugal and I don't think it's out of line with averages in the big city.

However, my grocery bill includes wine and non-food items too. So it's not all food. But still, you guys think that's a lot?
  • cdnmom1
    cdnmom1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wow I spend 200/month with myself and 2 kids 4 + 10......(1 is only here 50% of the time)....definately more expensive to eat healthy...one can only watch portions I guess....steak, shrimp, and seafood is rarely on the menu.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Just seconding what someone said about Bountiful Baskets. Ive been getting one e wry other week and have been thrilled with how much high quality produce I'm getting so cheaply. We are also doing a little container gardening this year....the tomatoes are coming in now. So delicious....it would have cost a fortune if we had bought them instead, even at the farmers market we go to.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I have no idea what we spend on food each month because I don't keep track. I know we spend more now because we buy a lot of fresh fruits/berries and meats. But- My Gosh that sounds like a lot and I KNOW I don't spend that much for my hubby and I. I am going to estimate that for food only- we probably spend 1/3 of that on a regular basis, with extra here and there to re-stock the staples and extras. Everything else like paper goods, hygiene, pet food/supplies, etc. is another story.

I hit Publix and Winn Dixie Buy-one-get-one sale as often as they have stuff I want. Otherwise, I shop at WalMart for the regular groceries. Of course I'd love to stick to Publix or Winn Dixie for regular shopping but it's just too expensive for the same foods.
    Maybe you stocked up on a lot of the "more expensive" things to reach $600 and won't hit that again for a while? Otherwise, you really should look at what you bought and where you're shopping. Shop sales. Buy in bulk if you can.

Another suggestion to make produce last longer- purchase the produce keepers. I have a Progressive lettuce keeper and a set of Rubbermaid (BPA free!) produce keepers. It helps me keep my lettuce and berries for a lot longer than usual.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Our budget for groceries for two adults is 400 a month. This includes cleaning supplies, detergent, and hygiene products.

I also NEVER eat the same thing. Every dinner is different every night.

I also eat healthy and clean.

I don't buy purely organic.... would love to try. Maybe find out what is best organic and buy the rest normal.

I recommend that you first find out what you can legitimately afford. I don't think a single person with no pets should spend more then $300 a month on food + other items. Unless you indulge a lot and buy snacks/alcohol.

Once you know the fixed number then you can start checking your kitchen stash. See what you already have. I'm always surprised at what I find if I ignore the pantry for a few weeks. Its a good habit to force yourself to clean out the fridge every week or two and this will help you remember what you currently have.

Then once you know what you have you will want to figure out what you want. The best thing to do is to go to the grocery store with a list. If you go without its usually pretty hopeless. You'll never remember every single item you need but if you go a few times you'll eventually figure it out.

A list saves money. And also planning your meals. There is meal planning services out there for a very affordable price or you can compile your own lists. It takes time but the savings and findings are so worth it.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    because it is. for one person. thats just crazy.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Be sure not to shop when you're hungry because you won't make good buying decisions then. Look for sales and use coupons whenever you can. Even if you have to use containers, start a garden. Use a shopping list based on a menu you've worked up for the week and then stick to your list, unless you're buying something seriously on sale that you're sure you'll use.

I wonder if what you're calling your grocery bill is including household items like toilet paper, cleaning supplies and such, and not just food. Also buy those things in bulk whenever you can and you'll get a better price on them.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make a menu for the week and shop for the food on Sunday since MFP starts a new week on Monday. That way you will know exactly what you are going to eat and wont have extra food possibly going to waste.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Try going on a bulking diet!! My groceries have increased by 20%!! Going into Aldi has helped alot so I second the advice of another poster here....
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    because it is. for one person. thats just crazy.

No its not. For one person, its probably about avg where I live.
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ummm... wow. I feed myself, my very, very active husband, 7 y/o daughter, 91lb heeler and 41lb foxhound on about $450ish a month. And thats household items, school lunches and eating out about 2xs a week. No idea why one person would spend $600 on one month of groceries. Must be nice.

It is nice. I love it. I posted just so ya'll would know.

teehee
  • duckypeterson
    Options
    Wow, our budget is $600 for three people and one is our teenager! We mostly eat clean by choice and partly because my son and I suffer from migraines. It's just smarter to eat less processed foods. I concentrate on lean meats, fruit and veggies. Sometimes I only spend $500 in a month. It all depends how much toiletries I have to buy that month or dog food, etc. I also make my own laundry detergent,, laundry softener and some cleaning products. I just got sick of paying 5 and 10 bucks for laundry detergent when I make it homemade for pennies. I haven't purchased that stuff since last summer and I am laughing all the way to the bank. Look it up on on google. Tons of recipes out there. And now they have a liquid kind to make - very easy and takes 5 minutes flat. Anyway, back to the groceries. Go to Aldi First for most of your fresh produce, some snacks for the kids, baking stuff, frozen veggies are a good price too. Then head to other stores with any sales that week. You'll find you'll spend less. Oh and use CASH. This way you'll really watch every dollar. Bring a calculator and use coupons,even if you are saving just a few dollars that week. And who cares who looks at you. You'll have a few extra dollars in your pocket to treat yourself with something later. My treat? A Dunkin Donut coffee (my favorite on a hectic Monday morning) :) Good Luck!