Replies

• kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I will soon be an "empty nester"
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I kid I used to babysit is a Marine and served in Iraq several years ago.

All the "new" music they play as "flashbacks".
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The fact that Eminem's daughter, Haley, who he's referenced in several songs, looks like this now:

Eminemsdaughter.jpg?t=1338308899

And the fact that my fav radio station has a "flashback lunch hour" and I regularly start jamming to every song and then realize "Oh God, my favorite songs from 8th and 9th grade are now considered flashbacks."
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Several things make me feel old, but I have outlined a few as follows:

1. We didn’t have Xbox or Wii. We had Atari. Enough said.
    2. We were required to play outside. No sitting in the house all day or else you did chores.
    3. Cell phones were the size of bricks and the only thing you could do was call people.
    4. People had actual car phones.
    5. We were beaten in school by administration if we acted up. We were then beat again by family members when we got home.
    6. We had respect for your elders.
    7. Music had meaning.
    8. We recorded music off the radio and made mix tapes for our friends/loved ones.
    9. Tapes and VHS were all the rave.. what’s a DVD?
    10. Being gay on TV was NOT an option (thank gosh we’ve progressed from this stage!).
    11. TV actually went off at night. Once you heard the Star Spangled Banner, it was a wrap!
    12. Once we did get cable there was only A/B. You had to switch the box from one side to the other to get more channels. However, there still were not many channels!
    13. MTV played videos.
    14. The internet was still a new concept.
    15. AOL chat rooms claimed many virgins in its days of glory.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My 7-yr old asked me the other day if the pilgrims were around when I was born...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I took a tour of my college's campus. The current student giving the tour (to myself, my family, and a prospective student with his family), took us to the union and said "We host frequent dances and parties here, often with an '80s theme".

He then looked at me (knew I was an alum), and asked, "did you have '80s parties when you were here?"

I answered, "yup. Every single one".

hahahahahahahaha.

He didn't even get it!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    And the fact that my fav radio station has a "flashback lunch hour" and I regularly start jamming to every song and then realize "Oh God, my favorite songs from 8th and 9th grade are now considered flashbacks."

The fact that you were in the 8th and 9th grade when the flashback lunch songs came out and you feel old makes me feel ancient since I was out of college when some of those were new.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I explained to a kid what a beeper was and that was in the 90's. Plus how the cell phones use to be a hue bag phone.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    This..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAuIyRbCwWlfHJEcMbfuLs4R_3WA8smi8yacMnR-v19dDxg7sxQSzPEaoSOA
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I took a tour of my college's campus. The current student giving the tour (to myself, my family, and a prospective student with his family), took us to the union and said "We host frequent dances and parties here, often with an '80s theme".

He then looked at me (knew I was an alum), and asked, "did you have '80s parties when you were here?"

I answered, "yup. Every single one".

hahahahahahahaha.

He didn't even get it!

That's awesome! LOL
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don’t really feel old. Betty White said something a few years ago and I carry it with me. “Don’t be scared of getting old. You don’t change, not on the inside. The outside changes, but you will always remain the same as you have ever been, you just get a little smarter.”
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I explained to a kid what a beeper was and that was in the 90's. Plus how the cell phones use to be a hue bag phone.

When I was in 9th and 10th grade you were seriously HOT *kitten* if you had a beeper!
  • ghiaguy
    ghiaguy Posts: 46
    Options
    We were out shopping with our kids and they saw an old record player. It might as well have been something from Mars. They had no idea what it was or what it did. At first we thought they were kidding. Unfortunately they were not. :tongue:
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When my son picked up the phone at a hotel room and thought it was broken because it made a 'funny noise.' It was the dial tone :tongue:

My grandson did something similar recently when he saw an old school land line phone for the first time. His first comment was "what is that?".

OMG.... I never thought about this... blows my mind.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My new cashiers at work could date my son.
  • davejlee
    davejlee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I remember making mix tapes.

haha. Would take hours to get it right.

I remember how to use "beeper code".

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I know what this is:

recordadapter.jpg

Yup...me too.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I graduated high school 15 years ago!!!!

The music I grew up listening to is considered oldies

I catch myself saying, " When I was your age........

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^ and thinking 1990 was 10 years ago,this fall is my daughter's last year in middle school. LOL
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My 7-yr old asked me the other day if the pilgrims were around when I was born...

THIS :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When I see Van Halen playing, I think, "those guys are old". I'm only a few years younger. I was in Jr High when their first album exploded.

I was trying to explain to my son how you used to have to get up to change the channels on the tv. He didn't understand.

When my son asks me questions like, "dad, did they have cars when you were a kid?" lol.