BIGGEST LOSER B.S. !!!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this ....but reality check with that Biggest Loser program. Yes it is nice that everyone gets into shape on that show, but reality is that they are working out all day long. Truth be that once they return to their regular daily life they won't be able to keep working out as the program makes them so of course some weight will come back on. What they need to do is truly work from someone's actual life style. Actual life!! Not this false impression that everyone can work out and leave their job 24/7. I cannot stand when someone says "Ohh look at the biggest loser they can do it so you should be able too"...Ummm yea I would drop like a squirrel if I had 24/7 workouts and a chef setting up what only I am allowed to eat. But I live in reality and it will take time to drop! So I think eliminate the "Biggest Loser" show and put up a show on "Reality Loser"!!!

I watch the Biggest Loser and I feel the same way you do. Like you said in reality a person just can't workout 24/7 without neglecting work, school, and family. A new weight loss show will be coming on, can't remember the name right now but from the previews I have seen it is totally different from The Biggest Loser. Soon I find out the name of the show I will post it.
  • brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this ....but reality check with that Biggest Loser program. Yes it is nice that everyone gets into shape on that show, but reality is that they are working out all day long. Truth be that once they return to their regular daily life they won't be able to keep working out as the program makes them so of course some weight will come back on. What they need to do is truly work from someone's actual life style. Actual life!! Not this false impression that everyone can work out and leave their job 24/7. I cannot stand when someone says "Ohh look at the biggest loser they can do it so you should be able too"...Ummm yea I would drop like a squirrel if I had 24/7 workouts and a chef setting up what only I am allowed to eat. But I live in reality and it will take time to drop! So I think eliminate the "Biggest Loser" show and put up a show on "Reality Loser"!!!

I watch the Biggest Loser and I feel the same way you do. Like you said in reality a person just can't workout 24/7 without neglecting work, school, and family. A new weight loss show will be coming on, can't remember the name right now but from the previews I have seen it is totally different from The Biggest Loser. Soon I find out the name of the show I will post it.

Okay, I found out the name soon then I thought....it is Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition and it started coming on June 3rd on ABC.
  • Niahboo
    Niahboo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Excellent reply.... Everything on relaity shows are entertainment
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    i agree that it is unrealistic because of all the proffesional help they have on hand, but I like to watch it because it gives me motivation, watching people my size and bigger, doing hard exercise, when I puff after 1 min on the elliptical!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I watch that, but I thought the eliminated contestants go home and work on their own, and then get to come back to compete for the final prize with those that stayed at the ranch. Just because the show doesn't follow the eliminated competitors doesn't mean that they aren't still in the competition.

Again... it's been awhile since I saw it... so I could be wrong.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It always bugs me when contestants would beat themselves up for ONLY losing 5lbs in one week.

Plus the negative things said about past winners that gained back the weight annoyed. They did an show on Eric, one of the first winners, and his wife said the show literally dropped him after he won. But once he gained the weight back, they had to use him as an example of failure.

And it seems like they desperate for rating with all the drama this season, probably due to Jillian leaving. The drama this season was RIDICLOUS!!! Don't think I'll be watching next year.

Howcome Jillian left?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,362 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is an unrealistic approach for well over 99% of us. However, there have been some pretty great stories of some of the spouses of contestants that lost similar amounts of weight while their partner was at the ranch.

I don't think anyone should expect to lose at that rate (nor should they really even want to), but it is interesting and inspiring to see that hard work and dedication can have such impressive results.

I agree!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Does anyone think there is much reality in Reality TV?

I mean, how many of us go about finding our life partners by having TeeVee people choose a bunch of hotties, "date" by way of a job, and make our selections while being half drunk?

Agreed!
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree.

What I do like about BL is that it shows that even severely overweight people (not to say ALL of them) can do some sort of workout. You see 400 pound people climbing up a hill on the first day--whether it's truly the first day on the ranch, or the first day they decide show us is irrelevant IMO. So when my uninjured 200 pound close friends tell me that they are too big to even WALK as exercise, I think about BL and what they do on the first days.

The problem with comparing anyone's journey to this show is that they have a full time medical staff to monitor their joint health, their chemistry and their mental health. You might notice that most of the biggest contestants have specially made wraps for their knees and ankles.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Best way to watch biggest loser is to tape the finale and see who lost what and skip all the boring drama. :D

Good idea for sure! I don't think they have too many seasons left because people are turned off by the drama Kings and Queens, etc.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    People just don't realize they are under multiple time a day doctor supervision. When they leave it's un realistic to believe they can keep up that kind of weight loss.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It always bugs me when contestants would beat themselves up for ONLY losing 5lbs in one week.

Plus the negative things said about past winners that gained back the weight annoyed. They did an show on Eric, one of the first winners, and his wife said the show literally dropped him after he won. But once he gained the weight back, they had to use him as an example of failure.

And it seems like they desperate for rating with all the drama this season, probably due to Jillian leaving. The drama this season was RIDICLOUS!!! Don't think I'll be watching next year.

Howcome Jillian left?
    She is making more money on her own now and she has a new baby at home!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    People who take reality shows literally and don't stop to consider the fact that it's reality television and things are edited for the cameras really make my head hurt.
    Agree! It is TV and the most realistic show on weight loss that I enjoyed was Heavy on A&E but it was still all about the money too because it promoted the Hilton, etc but still more realistic than The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeovers -- The weight Edition.

Last year I loved that the trainer on Extreme Makeovers showed a man who was addicted to food and was not successful on his journey with the show.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I weighed 500 or 600 pounds I'd freakin jump at the chance to go on that show. I'd rather be at 200 pounds and on my own than at 600 pounds and on my own, unsustainable loss, bad habits and all.
  • mandos78
    mandos78 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    we have a show in Ireland called operation transformation after watching the first one I couldn't look at biggest loser. They choose 5 people to lead the nation for 8 weeks. anyone can log on to the website and follow the diet and exercise plan. It's such a great show because the exercises are all things you can do in your own home and the audience can interact with each of the leaders via facebook.