Do you tip for laser hair removal?

Options
2»

Replies

• fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are in a "spa," I would say yes. However, I went to a clinic and asked the receptionist, along with the technicians. They were all nurses, did more at the clinic than just hair removal, and were paid accordingly. They were not supposed to take tips. I would just ask. No harm in that!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I havent - might rethink. Didnt really consider it was "tip worthy"? its a dr office - plus, again - its so $$$ and Im there for like 5 minutes.
    Im at my hairdressers for HOURS - 20% seems appropriate.
    Nails - 1hr - appropriate
    laser - 5 minutes - not really, right?
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When I had laser hair removal on my lower legs the lady was awesome did my underarms for free. I tipped her generiously. I think any service should be tipped.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Heck no - paid too much for it . . . also, it grew back with a vengeance after I got pregnant.

ETA - and exactly was others said - it's a doctor's office. I wouldn't tip my gynecologist! hahaha ;) just saying.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I tipped the first time with my groupon because you have to pay the taxes. After that there was no fee. No fee, no tip for me! If, after my groupon is up, I go back I may tip.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I bought a package and tipped at the initial payment, I still go for laser but only tip when I buy or renew a package.
    I also get electrolyses done there, I tip for this as i pay after every treatment.
    And yes its expensive, but i do love that there is less and less hair :)
  • johnsmith1989
    Options
    I’d use this treatment 2 years ago, for my underarms. It was so amazing, because I got very good results after all its sessions. Now I got rid off unwanted hairs completely.

http://www.medicamerica.com/medicamusa/
  • LaserSkinGirl
    LaserSkinGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a laser hair tech and even though we have doctors in our offices, we sure dont get paid like them, and it is a service based industry. I also perform other services with laser, peels and so on. The bad part about being in a medical office is that people just asssume we make alot of money.... Most of it goes to the practise. When people come in for laser hair or other services and used a Groupon or LivingSocial, they got a really good deal and so why not tip since you saved a ton. Typically anywhere from 5.00-20.00 per visit is usual or some tip a bigger amount at the end of a series. It is very rare for many to pay full price anymore but even so, it doesnt go to the esthetician or laser tech.... Who doesnt tip for a massage or facial or even a waitress? You shouldnt buy at a service based industry if a tip, even a small one, isnt in your budget!
    I also wanted to address those who said it grew back. Either you did not get enough sessions, didnt maintain touchups or hormoes took over. Laser works great when you keep it touched up, hopefully all laser techs are educationing this to clients so there isnt so much confusion.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just have no idea what the norms are, and was hoping some people on here might have some experience/answers?

Always do. Acquired the habit from my Mum, who'd do more than just tip generously. If it was nearing breakfast, lunch or dinnertime, throughout any course treatments (hair/skin/nails or massages) she'll take it upon herself to have their eats delivered or added to the tab, where they could select their preferences. I've taken to doing the same thing, as does my sister.

Via her exposure it was predominantly in the Skin/Hair Spa Beauty sphere of body/beauty maintenance. With me and my sister, it's predominantly via Dermatology/Beauty Technology :D Times and the subtle changes of what becomes a norm are in effect with what's available for maintenance ONLY that it doesn't hurt to always exercise courtesy with applied sensitivity to peoples' skills and their financial limitations, most especially when they're treating our skin and/or bodies.