The word "curvy" as a synonym for overweight

Options
smartandtrim
smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
I see it again and again shopping for clothing, or discussing things on message boards. I'm constantly told that at 129lbs and 5'3, I cannot have curves. But I do, and I'm quite proud of them! When did the word curvy become a word for overweight?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Popcorn-15-Scary-Movie.gif
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    ....I'm about to get flamed, aren't I?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. I want popcorn.

Thin women can be curvy. Overweight women can be curvy. Women can be NOT curvy and that doesn't mean they are unattractive.

The End.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Pretty much, yeah. :happy:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. I want popcorn.

Thin women can be curvy. Overweight women can be curvy. Women can be NOT curvy and that doesn't mean they are unattractive.

The End.

/endthread
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It's a hot topic, so just be prepared for it.

I don't disagree with you though. Just FYI. I don't like misuse of the word "curvy" either.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Mmmm. I want popcorn.

The End.

/endthread

win :heart:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what others think.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Mmmm. I want popcorn.

The End.

/endthread

win :heart:

*taking bow* ... however, it just occurred to me that it was really unnecessary to write "end" what with the backslash and all ... I'm a terrible coder, really.

Lady Homebrewer - 3yrs
    MFP Smarty-pants and sometimes food logger
    Also, boobs.
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    It has nothing to do with what others think, it has to do with "curvy" jeans (which, in a small size would fit quite nicely) not being made for anyone smaller than a 10, and me being unable to use the one word that actually describes my build.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Lol at the end of the thread, the advertisement was for Curves fitness center. Coincidence?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

yeah pretty much...
    but I think since you are fairly new and have a low post count you should be excused.
    (means you haven't been on the forums long enough/often enough to notice this same exact thread has been posted once a day (or more) for the last year)

I too think "curvy" has been used as a synonym for "fat" too often.

Skinny people can be curvy, muscular people can be curvy, and fat people can be curvy. If your hip bones and/or bustline are a lot larger than your waistline, you are curvy...period. Has nothing to do with if you are a size 2 and curvy or a size 18 curvy.

AND, some women (like me) will NEVER EVER be curvy because we have no boobs, no *kitten*, and very narrow hips, so even if I gained 100 pounds I wouldn't be "CURVY", I would just be fat.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with what others think, it has to do with "curvy" jeans (which, in a small size would fit quite nicely) not being made for anyone smaller than a 10, and me being unable to use the one word that actually describes my build.

Go to Target. They have this new fit system. I think it's Fit 4 that is made for women with big hips and small waists. I have a 28" waist and 40" hips.

Also, Kohl's Sonoma "classic" fit for big hips.
  • saltyraisins
    saltyraisins Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Even though it's usually reserved for the apples and pears among us, bone structure wise, all women are curvy.

I would think that being told you're not a "real woman" would be more offensive than being told you can't be curvy. But that's just me...
  • infamousmk
    Options

Where are you finding 'curvy' cut jeans that don't come any smaller than a size 10? Last I looked The Gap and Target (through their Denizen brand) both make jeans 0-24 in a cut that is fit to a curvy shape (meaning your hips are considerably larger than your waist).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I bought curvy jeans in a size 5 at JCPenney. I needed the extra room in the tush.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    To me curvy is where you have an hourglass figure so lets say 38-28-39, that's pretty curvy. I'm not overweight and I'm actually curvy for my measurements.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    a sack of potatoes in curvy
    a water ballon is curvy
    a panda is curvy
    curvy just means the body has round areas hell im curvy,
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    *sigh*

I second that sigh.....