How long does it take you to run a 5k?

Options
I did my best today and ran a 5k in about 45 minutes. Yikes!
What's your best time, how fast do you run, and how long have you been running?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    About 24 minutes. Can do better. Been running for a few years. I run 6 miles (just short of 10k) in about 46 minutes. But, for me that's an easy comfy pace. I may start to work on speed pretty soon. I am hoping to run my half marathon this week in 1:45. We'll see if I can pull it off.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 45 minutes also... I have only been running since Jan this year.... but it is getting better.. I was just soooo happy to finish!
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just ran my personal best yesterday...31:16, that was on a pretty much flat trail.

I started running in March, I run 3 days a weeks (I also swim or bike on run day), and the other 3 days I do heavy weights and elliptical.
  • artisticappetite
    Options
    About 24 minutes. Can do better. Been running for a few years. I run 6 miles (just short of 10k) in about 46 minutes. But, for me that's an easy comfy pace. I may start to work on speed pretty soon. I am hoping to run my half marathon this week in 1:45. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Woah, your a monster! Hopefully I can be as speedy and strong as you one day!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My 5k best is about 26 minutes..... I'd love to beat 25, but that would mean a lot of speedwork... and I hate running fast. I'd rather run long. :)
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just under 32min. Started around November last year, then took a break and am back into it again :) . It's rewarding being able to do it and it feeling easier and easier.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mine is 27:26. I've been running for just over a year now and 4-6 days a week. Consistency is key, and speed truly comes with mileage. I hadn't even worked to get faster and my body just did it for me. now that i'm comfortable here I have to do speed work :p

But then again, I didn't run my first 5K until 2 months shy of a full year of running, so I had plenty of practice!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My 5k best is about 26 minutes..... I'd love to beat 25, but that would mean a lot of speedwork... and I hate running fast. I'd rather run long. :)

Mine is 26:46 but I'm with you long runs are the best........
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I can't run them (Severely bad knee's) but a walk and finish them... best time so far is 50:08...... I'll take it considering 35 months ago I could barely walk from my recliner to the bathroom.... Best of Luck....
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am still in the 24s, started running Aug/2011 (30s) - and ran in the 24s in Mar/2012. I did mostly cross training until February of this year.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    23:54 was my recent PR. When I started, I was at 43 minutes. Just keep running and logging miles and you will get there!
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My first and only one so far was 25:09
  • MarcusModulus
    Options
    Last week I did 3 miles in 19:49 seconds. If you round that up to a 5k (3.107 miles), that is about 20:30. I'll have to try the distance out some time and see what I can get.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm Running my first on July 4th, I just hope I can beat my Daughter, another one of my Soccer players and her mom, we have a bet on the race!

I'm naturally a Sprinter and hate long distance, but I plan on Crushing it.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did my best today and ran a 5k in about 45 minutes. Yikes!
    What's your best time, how fast do you run, and how long have you been running?

My last 5k was about the same... it was also the first 5k I had run in about 15 years! I was just excited that I did it and I finished!

Remember, the only person you have to beat is yourself. Keep pushing to go just a little faster or a little farther each time and you'll get there. If you're improving, you're winning. =)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    About 25 minutes for me, but a guy I work with has done a corporate challenge (electronically timed), 27:30 for 7.2 k's, I hate to think of his 5k time!
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    My best time for a 5k was 19:39. I've been running for about 5 years. Personally I think marathons are a lot more fun.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    ran one in 48 min last year, but that was just out of the blue with no training. have one coming up in a month, this time I've been training for it so I can hopefully get back into running.
  • dgyfrsh
    dgyfrsh Posts: 5
    Options
    I started running in February of this year and my 5k PR is 21:13.
  • raggyanndoll
    raggyanndoll Posts: 176
    Options
    Just did my first one last Saturday in 36:02. That was a walk, walk, walk, jog, walk, walk, jog. Been mostly walking for exercise.