Herbal Magic?

Options
Who has tried it,
and what was your experiance with it like?

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Who has tried it,

What is it? Include a link.
  • lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    Who has tried it,

If you are willing to waste money, just send me money to my paypal account :)

Seriously, you really don t need this
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Who has tried it,

What is a waste. It seems quite sound:

"The Herbal Magic program offers a combination of private one-on-one personal coaching, real food bought at your grocery store, and natural health products.[6][8] It has weight loss programs designed for women, men, diabetics (type I and II), youth, women who are planning to conceive, breastfeeding mothers, and those with diagnosed heart conditions. The programs are designed to help clients lose weight at an average rate of two pounds per week. There are three key phases to the program including:

Phase 1: Weight Loss. During this phase, a personal health coach reviews the client’s medical history and food journal as well as recommends a meal plan with natural health products to optimize healthy weight loss. Once the goal weight is reached, the client enters Phase 2.

Phase 2: Stabilization. In this phase, the client and personal health coach work together to increase the amount of food intake while maintaining the client’s goal weight.

Phase 3: Maintenance. The length of the maintenance phase varies for clients based on the amount of weight lost during the weight loss phase. This is the phase intended to ensure the weight is kept off for good.[2]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbal_Magic
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Who has tried it,

"The Herbal Magic program offers a combination of private one-on-one personal coaching, real food bought at your grocery store, and natural health products.[6][8] It has weight loss programs designed for women, men, diabetics (type I and II), youth, women who are planning to conceive, breastfeeding mothers, and those with diagnosed heart conditions. The programs are designed to help clients lose weight at an average rate of two pounds per week. There are three key phases to the program including:

Phase 1: Weight Loss. During this phase, a personal health coach reviews the client’s medical history and food journal as well as recommends a meal plan with natural health products to optimize healthy weight loss. Once the goal weight is reached, the client enters Phase 2.

Phase 2: Stabilization. In this phase, the client and personal health coach work together to increase the amount of food intake while maintaining the client’s goal weight.

Phase 3: Maintenance. The length of the maintenance phase varies for clients based on the amount of weight lost during the weight loss phase. This is the phase intended to ensure the weight is kept off for good.[2]"

Overpriced prepackaged meal service. Same principles apply. Calorie deficit. You can do do all that for free here on mfp.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    The name of it says it all.

"Herbal" - Anything marketed as herbal isn't going to be clinically proven. Anything not clinically proven is pretty much snake oil. Makers of herbal supplements don't even have to get approval from the FDA before putting their products on the market.
    Herbal supplements are regulated by the FDA, but not as drugs or as foods.
    More information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herbal-supplements/SA00044

"Magic" - It says one thing - it's a gimmick. Think of any product marketed with "magic" in the name. It's probably an as-seen-on-TV gimmick piece of junk, or a card game.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Overpriced prepackaged meal service. Same principles apply. Calorie deficit. You can do do all that for free here on mfp.

Just buy Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine and use MFP. Same concept, a million times cheaper.
  • suziecue66
    Options

"Herbal" - Anything marketed as herbal isn't going to be clinically proven. Anything not clinically proven is pretty much snake oil. Makers of herbal supplements don't even have to get approval from the FDA before putting their products on the market.

"Magic" - It says one thing - it's a gimmick. Think of any product marketed with "magic" in the name. It's probably an as-seen-on-TV gimmick piece of junk, or a card game.

Not a very good name I admit. Herbal supplements can be very good in limited quantities. As long as they are not just pushing them for more profit. A lot of pharmaceuticals aren't clinically proven doesn't stop them being sold to the public, with FDA approval. More cases of mishaps with pharmaceuticals than herbals.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Who has tried it,

Is it pre-packaged meals? It doesn't seem like it in the blurb above.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Who has tried it,

For the sake of balance: from the same Wikipedia article:

"The February 5, 2010 episode of the investigative news program CBC Marketplace examined the health effects of Herbal Magic's optional supplement products. The program and its independent experts determined there was insufficient empirical evidence to convince them that the supplements facilitate weight loss. Accordingly, the documentary claimed it observed Herbal Magic salespeople using tactics that lead customers to overestimate the supplements' effectiveness. Marketplace also interpreted[17] Herbal Magic's practice of only telling customers the cost of the program after a free consultation[8] as disingenuous.[17] Herbal Magic CEO Fraser Clarke defended their sales practices, quoting "We see over 40,000 clients on an annual basis and we have a 91% satisfaction rate."[18]"
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try Chef Paul Prudhommes' "Salmon Magic" Seasoning the next time you bake salmon.

Now THAT is truly magic.

Otherwise, just count your calories with MFP, eat healthy foods and exercise.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    @rileygobot I've not tried it so please take that into account but:

The principles of shopping locally and eating a good balanced diet are sound and this program may help you to do just that. You CAN achieve this with MFP alone, but if you want to get it right first time, feel you need some individual help, and have the money this may be great for you.

But, part of Herbal Magic's business plan seems to be to sell customers herbal supplements, intended (but not proven to) help with weight loss/control. I would suspect that there would be a hard sell to get your to purchase these additional products and that they would be marketed as "fat busters", "metabolism boosters", "appetite suppressants" and the like. Sales reps will show you "evidence" that people following their plan have had great successes, but remember they are eating mainly unprocessed foods, probably at a calorific value intended to lose weight AS WELL as the supplements: So, weight loss would be expected without the supplements.

Best wishes.
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options

I will agree that there is no magic weight loss pill. But I do disagree with your view on herbal. you may want to do a little research on that! I would much rather take anything that came straight from the earth then people who have altered things "clinically" I dont need a scientist that is getting paid by the very company that is testing the product to say its ok to put in my body!
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options

My my, the simplicity and finality of these statements. But this is how most Americans feel. Most people have no concept of the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars it takes to get products through clinical trials, and how many smaller companies (with extremely valid products) simply can not afford this. (But who can afford this? Huge drug companies- which are not in business of making people well, but merely keeping them sick, because if they actually cured their clients, where is their business?) And many people look at the FDA as some sort of saint-hood, set in place for the good of the people. This couldn't be further from the truth. The board of the FDA has several members with affiliations with Big Business corporations like Kraft Foods and Bristol-Meyers Squibb Pharmaceutics. Obviously they've got LONG POCKETS to fund FDA approvals.

I'm not saying all herbal supplements are worthwhile, but I am saying that FDA approval shouldn't be your hallmark or gold standard for using a product because the FDA, much like ALL branches of government and drug corporations, has its own agenda to promote and it certainly has nothing to do with what is truly healthy for Americans.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options

I will agree that there is no magic weight loss pill. But I do disagree with your view on herbal. you may want to do a little research on that! I would much rather take anything that came straight from the earth then people who have altered things "clinically" I dont need a scientist that is getting paid by the very company that is testing the product to say its ok to put in my body!

Many things that are natural and/or grow in the ground are toxic, many things that are created in chemical plants or laboratories are very safe.

You don't alter things "clinically", you treat things or people in a clinic or you perform a trial (to demonstrate efficacy/safety/effectiveness.

You " dont need a scientist that is getting paid by the very company that is testing the product to say its ok to put in my body!" but this is not usually the case. The FDA scientific teams in the US (MRHA in the UK) are not paid by the manufacturers or suppliers (despite what conspiracy theorists say). For herbal preparations there is often no testing at all.

So question: if you don't trust "scientists" to tell you what is safe and what is not, who do you trust? The person selling you something, your friend, some random internet guy?
  • gbg49229
    Options

Many things that are natural and/or grow in the ground are toxic, many things that are created in chemical plants or laboratories are very safe.

You don't alter things "clinically", you treat things or people in a clinic or you perform a trial (to demonstrate efficacy/safety/effectiveness.

You " dont need a scientist that is getting paid by the very company that is testing the product to say its ok to put in my body!" but this is not usually the case. The FDA scientific teams in the US (MRHA in the UK) are not paid by the manufacturers or suppliers (despite what conspiracy theorists say). For herbal preparations there is often no testing at all.

So question: if you don't trust "scientists" to tell you what is safe and what is not, who do you trust? The person selling you something, your friend, some random internet guy?
    I trust the research that I do myself and a herbal doctor that cares less if he sells me anything! point blank, the fda is crooked like other govt programs! there is a few things that are good but in the end they are a business! instead of arguing about it, I suggest you spend a little time on it!
  • gbg49229
    Options

I trust the research that I do myself and a herbal doctor that cares less if he sells me anything! point blank, the fda is crooked like other govt programs! there is a few things that are good but in the end they are a business! instead of arguing about it, I suggest you spend a little time on it!
    and I know it REALLY frustrates people when you add commen sense to things, but..... 1st off obesity is a growing problem due to fda approved foods, cancer is on the rise due to fda approved foods as well as the side effects of fda meds, many of the fda approved drugs cause more problems then what they help. And 1 final note, what has the fda approved that is a cure for anything? like lets see, cancer? nothing? come on, they have BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars but cant find the cure, yet when people find a cure they squish them like a bug! my wife is a living, walking breathing proof of this! beat cancer with this bs "herbal" stuff that is not fda approved
  • Inspired5
    Inspired5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did herbal magic for 6 months. I did lose weight however its extremly pricey. They make all there money when you buy the supplements. The location I attended actually wouldn't work with you unless you used supplements because otherwise you weren't truely doing the program. The calorie count was 900 a day. When i brought this up with the manager she got annoyed with me, even though i was having problems being light headed through the whole program.
    The cost was about $300 plus a month. The other frustrating part was there employees have no training. They will tell you they do however I asked the girls in my location. None of them had any back round in nutrition and followed the same book I followed.
    I ended up discontinuing the program and was really disappointed in everything they promised. I would never do the program again and would highly recommend another alternative.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Huge drug companies- which are not in business of making people well, but merely keeping them sick, because if they actually cured their clients, where is their business?

You actually believe this????
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I did herbal magic for 6 months. I did lose weight however its extremly pricey. They make all there money when you buy the supplements. The location I attended actually wouldn't work with you unless you used supplements because otherwise you weren't truely doing the program. The calorie count was 900 a day. When i brought this up with the manager she got annoyed with me, even though i was having problems being light headed through the whole program.
    The cost was about $300 plus a month. The other frustrating part was there employees have no training. They will tell you they do however I asked the girls in my location. None of them had any back round in nutrition and followed the same book I followed.
    I ended up discontinuing the program and was really disappointed in everything they promised. I would never do the program again and would highly recommend another alternative.

Doesn't sound good at all. $300 plus a month definitely too much. I would rather just stick to my own plan and take a good multi vitamin and mineral plus fish oil.
  • gbg49229
    Options
    Huge drug companies- which are not in business of making people well, but merely keeping them sick, because if they actually cured their clients, where is their business?

You actually believe this????
    I do!....you dont? name something they have cured?