Too muscley.. how to lose it!?

Options
ALH1981
ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
This will be contraversial I know, but i want to know how to LOSE some muscle!

I excerise daily as i LOVE to move and love to be active - i run, swim, do weights, yoga, hot yoga, cardio gym classes, core classes, bike and walk almost everywhere i can - i dont have a car so i try to walk everywhere i can... Basically i'm a very active person...! Also, I only log the 'real' excersise - not the incidental like walking or biking to 'get somewhere' - basically if im not in workout gear it doesnt go in my diary!!!

Anyway, i am getting very muscley IMO - the scales go up however im less worried about that than the muslce i gain. I have a very small frame so muslce shows very quickly on me.... I want to know how to stop gaining such muslce without havign to stop the excerise i do (which i really enjoy and use for mental clarity!)

My diet is varied - i eat low complex carbs due to gluten intolerence but lots of protein (seafood mainly) and lots of veges !!! Its a pretty clean diet with little processed foods - i do not supplement with any sort of protien powder etc... Most ingredients are 100% natural and artificial free. My weakness is champagne... (and carrot cake) but i usually treat myself to that once a week only...

As I said, i know this will probabley be contraverisal but any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    raise bodyfat to hide muscle
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Stop lifting or lift light with more reps.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the lifting.

and I am sooooo jealous.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My thighs were getting too muscle-y (at least for my liking) and I switched from traditional weight training to kettlebells for a few months. Now my legs look leaner and my jeans are fitting better. I don't know if this answered your question or not but it's what worked for me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Stop lifting or lift light with more reps.

Does that not cause hypertrophy?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it's actual muscle definition, too defined for your liking, raise body fat slightly and it doesn't show as much.
    If it's that you look bigger/bulkier it's likely muscle and quite a bit of fat still. Drop fat and you instantly look smaller and more toned, like you have less muscle.

I really wouldn't advise losing any muscle mass, as it's unlikely you have as much as you think, it's likely just one of the above, and while losing weight (on a deficit) it's almost impossible to gain any more. If you still want to lose muscle, stop lifting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's actual muscle definition, too defined for your liking, raise body fat slightly and it doesn't show as much.
    If it's that you look bigger/bulkier it's likely muscle and quite a bit of fat still. Drop fat and you instantly look smaller and more toned, like you have less muscle.

I really wouldn't advise losing any muscle mass, as it's unlikely you have as much as you think, it's likely just one of the above, and while losing weight (on a deficit) it's almost impossible to gain any more. If you still want to lose muscle, stop lifting.

This. :smile:

Do you have any photos to show what you mean?
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. And it's not so much that I have more muscle as that the muscle I have is short and large rather than long and lean (if that makes any sense at all).

For those saying to just drop more fat to look leaner, it's obvious you don't deal with it. It's an issue when you're smaller (read: short) with larger muscules, because it shows quite a bit more, as the OP said. Just as five pounds shows more on a 5'2" person than a 6' person, an extra inch of muscle shows up more.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yoga instead of lifting heavy?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Shenanigans
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I cannot shake my head enough.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Stay in bed for a month. Pretend it's for peace or something.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    pics please. I would like to see what too muscly looks like.....From your profile pic I'm not seeing it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lower your protein intake, quit lifting and do long endurance cardio (90 minutes at time). A sure way to lose muscle mass. But don't forget, your metabolic rate will drop too so that means less food intake to comp for the calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    pics please. I would like to see what too muscly looks like.....From your profile pic I'm not seeing it.

She probably means that when she flexes her arm there's about a 1/4 inch rise that could be mistaken for a bicep. It's scaring her and it needs to go away.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    You see these comments from the ED crowd. I don't see a muscly shape in your profile pic.

:grumble:
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Stay in bed for a month. Pretend it's for peace or something.

I just love you.

..That is all
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    eat ice cream and pizza...sit on couch..do nothing