A question for the lifters out there....

Actually, a couple. New to lifting and starting out very sloooow. But, here are my questions:

I like to do cardio for about 45 mins before I lift. I take about a 5-10 minute break when cardio is over (with stretching) and then go out to my garage and lift. Is this the proper order? Or should I be doing lifting and then cardio? I am only lifting twice a week right now.

When logging my exercise - am I logging just the time I am actually involved in the exercise, or am I counting my rests in the time as well? Today, I was lifting for 22 minutes. I was NOT lifting for 22 minutes steady; I would do a set of 10 and then rest for a minute or two. So, should I log that I was only really exercising for about 11 minutes? Or am I burning that many calories during resting that it doesn't make a difference?

I do not have a heart rate monitor, and yes, I know I really should be using one for the most accurate results, but can't afford one currently.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    You can go with whatever works best for you. I personally like a warmup then weights then a cardio cool down if I have the time.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    do what keeps you coming back.
    Maximum benefits would probably come from a short warm up and than weights followed by the cardiovascular.
    What you log is of course up to you but I never log the weight lifting time because it burns so few calories.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    General rule is to do lifting first, outside you'll be fatigued and won't be able to lift as much after such a long cardio session. *shrug*
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Save the cardio for last, particularly if you're routine includes legs on that day. Or just do the cardio on non-lifting days. This way the cardio won't affect your lifts, for the most part.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I like to do cardio first to get that super vasodialation going and it warms up my muscles before I do strength training. I feel I get optimal performance out of my strength training because of the pre vasodialation. I don't know why but it feels good to me when I feel my blood vessels widen as it gives me a great boosting oxygen/blood rushing all over experience sensation. Its hard to explain but it makes me feel more alive and it makes my veins look cool too haha. Also I am not as prone to injury due to warming up the muscles. Cardio(recumbent bike) is really good to do first on strength training leg days because it really does all that I mentioned specifically in the legs. If I strength train leg days first then try to do cardio my legs are just to fatigued.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Anyone have any response for the logging of the strength training?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    HRM aren't accurate for lifting.

Regarding order the people who are telling you to do heavy cardio last are right. Warm up with cardio but if you can do heavy cardio for 45 min then lift you're not going to get the best results from lifting.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    HRM aren't accurate for lifting.

In all actuality HRM's aren't all that accurate for anything, maybe a brisk walk at best based on some of what I've read at least. Don't bother logging it, the benefit of strength training is not just the initial calorie burn but also what occurs for hours afterwards.

I agree with others, it's typically better to maybe to a light warm-up and then do weights. You'll typically need more energy to lift well than you will to do cardio but find what works best for you.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Save the cardio for last, particularly if you're routine includes legs on that day. Or just do the cardio on non-lifting days. This way the cardio won't affect your lifts, for the most part.
    What he said.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Similar as above, I do about 15 minutes of easy cardio to get warm, especially on days when I squat because it requires a lot of flexibility (at least for me!). I usually do 10 minutes on the bike then 5 minutes of dynamic stretching for my hips. I find that an easy warm up helps me get psyched up for heavy lifts, especially on the days when I don't want to be there. I'd rather "slack" on the warm up and find my zone before starting the lifts.
    As for logging, I do log it as activity but I don't pay much attention to the calories. I focus more on making sure I hit my protein goal for lifting days (I try to most days but I am still working on that!). Hope that helps.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    if you can do weights after cardio, your cardio is too easy.
    If you can do cardio after weights, your weights are too easy.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I like to do a short cardio warm up, weights, then finish with cardio if I feel the need (usually don't, prefer to do cardio on my non lift days). My warmup usually includes my bike ride to the gym from my house (around 10 mins). Sometimes I'll run 1 or 1.5 miles if I'm in the mood. Anything more than that usually makes my lifts less productive.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member

I count all the time spent when lifting.. meaning my rest time too. I do not allow myself to rest for more than 30 sec. to a minute between sets though and try to keep my HR up for the entire 1 hour session. I
  • billgiersberg
    billgiersberg Posts: 163
    I have heard it said you should do strength truing first. It burns up all the available glucose to give you maximum effort on your lifts. Then follow it with cardio to force the body to draw more on the fat reserves.

As to logging, I go to the blue exercise tab. Under "Cardiovascular" I select "add exercise." MFP gives me three options: Elliptical, Stair-treadmill and strength. I check the box for what I did and add the minutes. MFP's calculations are fairly close to what my elliptical and my online strength training site say I burn.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    OMG! I think I seen 5 different answers on completely opposite spectrums...

Do cardio first...do cardio last...do cardio never...do cardio inbetween sets..etc...etc

Just do what works for you...First of all you are new to lifting...so you will see gains fast...

Depending on your goals you will adjust your cardio...

When I first started lifting I did cardio after weight lifting..and never cardio on leg days...

Now in my mid 30's I do cardio (jog) as a warm up to get the blood flowing before upperbody...and do 10 minutes of bike warm up before lower body lifts.

These things seem to work the best for my joints...

Edit to ADD...I do my hardcore cardio on days I don't lift
  • Mercenary1914

How to Calculate Calories Burned Weight Lifting
    Comments Dec 19, 2010 | By Stacey Anderson Stacey Anderson began writing in 1989. She published articles in “Teratology,” “Canadian Journal of Public Health” and the "Canadian Medical Association Journal” during her time in medical genetics studying birth defects. She has an interest in psychology, senior health and maternal and child health. Anderson holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology with a minor in biology from the University of Calgary.
    Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images Weight lifting is a great exercise to not only build strength and tone muscles but to increase your metabolic rate and burn even more calories. For every 3 lbs. of muscle you build, your metabolic rate increases by 7 percent, according to West Valley College. This in turn increases the number of calories you need to maintain your weight by 15 percent. As an added bonus, after a weight training session you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for up to 24 hours. The number of calories you burn during the weight lifting session itself depends on your body weight and the type and intensity of the weight training. Consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/#ixzz1wOwzsG3V
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member

Do cardio first...do cardio last...do cardio never...do cardio inbetween sets..

Just do what works for you...First of all you are new to lifting...so you will see gains fast...

When I first started lifting I did cardio after weight lifting..and never cardio on leg days...

Now in my mid 30's I do cardio (jog) as a warm up to get the blood flowing before upperbody...and do 10 minutes of bike warm up before lower body lifts.

I agree with mercenary on this one, I like to do a quick warmup, usually on the spin bike but nothing to strenuous before lifting (especially seeing as every one of my sessions starts with squats!)

I'll do a bit of cardio afterwards if I have the time, otherwise I have a couple of non-lifting days a week that I'll get a cardio session in.
  • Mercenary1914

Do cardio first...do cardio last...do cardio never...do cardio inbetween sets..

I agree with mercenary on this one, I like to do a quick warmup, usually on the spin bike but nothing to strenuous before lifting (especially seeing as every one of my sessions starts with squats!)

I'll do a bit of cardio afterwards if I have the time, otherwise I have a couple of non-lifting days a week that I'll get a cardio session in.

I think I stalk your workouts...lol..cause yea I do cardio on days I don't lift also
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    I always recommend doing cardio after your strength training. Main reason for this is the fatigue factor. If you have a big cardio session and then lift, there is a good chance you won't have proper form on your lifts and that poses the potential for injury.

As far as logging the time, lifting is an anaerobic workout. This means you are still burning exercise calories for a short period of time after your workout. So, you are burning calories in the middle of sets. Log the entire time spent lifting including the time between sets.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    I would do a short warm up jog before then lift and then do a little bit longer of a jog afterwards or any type of cardio. I count all the calories burned during lift and in between. Your heartrate is going to fluctuate through out the different exercises. The warm up will get your heartrate moving.