Weight Gain/ Difficulty Losing With Mirena IUD?

Options
Got the Mirena just over two years ago. Gained close to 20 lbs! and its an incredible pain in the bum to try to lose. Idk if its because of the IUD, me just being older, or a combination of both but it is taking me foreeevverr to see results. I'll lose a few lbs, then gain some back. back and forth back and forth. (the monthly water weight isnt helping either) Its incredibly frustrating, not to mention literally affecting my career in the army :(. Lost my college pudge and baby weight like it was nothing. But now its taking forevverr to see the results of my efforts. Anyone else with the mirena going through the same thing? or have any advice on breaking through this silly yoyo cycle i seem to be stuck in?

Replies

• peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out because I gained 40 pounds in a year! Also had painful joints, cyst acne, hair falling out, insomnia, and hair growing in weird places! Never again!!
  • aml0513
    aml0513 Posts: 20
    Options
    omg! talk about acne!!! im breaking out worse than i did when i was going through puberty! And I've noticed that i get insanely irritated over things that i normally would brush off. Im not typically an angry person but I've definitely had issues with it since getting the Mirena. I've been thinking of removing mine but i'm hesitant because it's helped tremendously with my ridiculously heavy flow that i had prior to having it placed. Plus, its just so darn convenient. Think I'll keep watching the thread for more feedback and mull it over some more before I decide if I wanna keep it.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Were either of you ladies on any type of hormonal birth control prior to getting Mirena? I'm getting it on Tuesday...
  • BEMND
    BEMND Posts: 33
    Options
    I've had it in 2 months now without any bad side effects (spotting, but I was told to expect that). I was worried about acne & weight gain, but was willing to try it becsuse of how heavy my periods were.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love mine. No weird side effects. Have had it for 6 years. I've lost 71lbs in 7 months... so no problems with weght loss. My 18 year old daughter got one 3 months ago. No problems or weight gain to report from her either.
  • sns123079
    sns123079 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've had mine for 4 years and no problem. No acne, no mood swings, hardly a period but maybe once every 4 months or so, VERY light and for only a day. The only time I gain is when I eat too much:) I think from talking to friends that Mirena can affect everyone quite differently, so it may work beautifully for one person and horribly for another.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've had it in 2 months now without any bad side effects (spotting, but I was told to expect that). I was worried about acne & weight gain, but was willing to try it becsuse of how heavy my periods were.

Yeah, I'm about 7.5 weeks in and other than constant/consistent spotting, and a bit of a pinching feeling every now and then, I've got way less side effects (and no weight gain) than pills or depo shots.
  • creativephoenix
    creativephoenix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about four years now, and haven't had any problems with it at all. At least, none that I'm aware of. I do tend to gain weight easily (before I joined MFP, I would look at food and gain weight, but then again I was a horrible fast/junk food junkie).

Since I've joined MFP though, I've logged my food and exercise, been much more diligent on what I put in my body and ensuring that I get lots of physical activity each week, and so far have lost 13 pounds!

Each person is different though, as I had a girlfriend for whom it didn't work well for. You just really need to be aware of your body and talk to your doctor about your medical/family history.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 5 months now, and I am jealous of the women who said they didn't have any side effects! I had daily doubled over in pain cramps for 6 weeks, and then lo and behold right at my 6 week checkup was the first day I had zero cramping. I still get some cramps, minor spotting every once in awhile, but I just take 2 ibuprofen and I am good...although it really blows when the cramps arrive in the middle of a workout! I am still debating if I want to get it again after the 5 year point, but it really depends on how I feel at that point, and how life is, because after this one gets removed, a child will be arriving before another one gets put in :)

I did gain some weight after Mirena, but I blame the poor food choices I was making and lack of exercise as well. My weight loss battle has not been as easy as others, but I am not blaming Mirena for that...because now I totally forget that I have it!
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have had mine in for 2.5 years now...no issues with weight gain or loss. What does your diet/exercise plan look like?
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am getting mine out on the 20th. I have given it 7 months now and the symptoms are getting worse. My hair is falling out like crazy, I am super grumpy especially around that time, this time in particular I have a lot of back pain, my face keeps getting worse and worse breakouts and my last period was 14 days, 5 day break and is here once again grrrrr. I just want it out right now. I have not lost weight that quickly and I have been working pretty hard. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but we shall see once it comes out, I started here 5 months ago. I did gain a bit of weight when I got it put in but I used it as an excuse so I am not sure if the weight gain was due to the IUD. My doctor is my friend so I am hoping to get in ASAP to switch to a normal IUD. I even bought it already, ready to jump in to a cancelled appointment. Some of my friends really like it. I have a friend who is due to give birth in July and she had the Mirena. I am not a fan, at all!!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    oh and the symptoms are gettin worse and worse. I didn't get acne until the last 3 months and this time I have a lot of pain.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As with all medications there are side effects. I never used an IUD but I did take depo shots for a few years and gained a lot. Weight gain is a common side effect with most birth control.

Mirena Side Effects (http://berlex.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf)
    The most common adverse reactions (≥5% users) are
    uterine/vaginal bleeding alterations (51.9%), amenorrhea
    (23.9%), intermenstrual bleeding and spotting (23.4%),
    abdominal/pelvic pain (12.8%), ovarian cysts (12%),
    headache/migraine (7.7%), acne (7.2%), depressed/altered
    mood (6.4%), menorrhagia (6.3%), breast tenderness/pain
    (4.9%), vaginal discharge (4.9%) and IUD expulsion (4.9%).
    Other relevant adverse reactions occurring in <5% of
    subjects include nausea, nervousness, vulvovaginitis,
    dysmenorrhea, back pain, weight increase, decreased
    libido, cervicitis/Papanicolaou smear normal/class II, hypertension,
    dyspareunia, anemia, alopecia, skin disorders
    including eczema, pruritus, rash and urticaria, abdominal
    distention, hirsutism and edema.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out because I gained 40 pounds in a year! Also had painful joints, cyst acne, hair falling out, insomnia, and hair growing in weird places! Never again!!

this. exactly. with excruciating pain every day in lower abdomen. and eczema. it seems to be a love or hate thing. women either get the side effects or they dont (the ones that dont get them love it!). I feel so much better since getting it removed.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've never had an IUD (I'm on Lo-Loestrin, which I love), but have any of you who have been having issues ever considered the other IUD: Paragard? It's a no-hormone option. It uses copper as a contraceptive but is basically the same as Mirena in other ways. There might still be cramping here and there, but it should take care of the hormone-related acne, mood swings and hair loss issues. Just a thought! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I know each person reacts differently, but look at my ticker below - every single pound of that loss is with Mirena. I've had no difficulty losing due to it. When I haven't lost consistently, it's been because I went off the plan eating-wise.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Different birth controls react differently with different people. Everyone's body is different. When I was taking Yaz I immediately gained 10 pounds, went on an angry war path for 4 months and my boobs doubled in size but my sister took the same and nothing happened to her. I made an appointment with my gyno to see if I can try something different because Yaz isn't cutting it for me lol.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I had mine put in last September. My periods haven't evened out yet but I've managed to lose weight. I had mine put in to try and control extremely heavy and painful periods though rather than as a contraception.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been my favorite form of BC, but it is effective. I had difficulty losing at first, and then I tweaked my diet, and the weight started coming off. I do have tremendous cramping for about 2 weeks a month--more than I've had on any other BC. The best BC for my body so far was the nuva ring, but it wouldn't stay where it was supposed to. I was on the minipill for 5 years, and it was fine, but difficulty losing weight and then I started double bleeding per month. I was on lowdose before children, but it wasn't as effective after children and I had frequent "breakthough bleeding."

It definately depends on your body chemistry. I will have mine out after vacation this year. Hubby took care of it for me bc I've been so emo since I got my IUD.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Different birth controls react differently with different people. Everyone's body is different. When I was taking Yaz I immediately gained 10 pounds, went on an angry war path for 4 months and my boobs doubled in size but my sister took the same and nothing happened to her. I made an appointment with my gyno to see if I can try something different because Yaz isn't cutting it for me lol.

I'm extremely, extremely sensitive to hormonal birth control. I am absolutely in love with Lo-Loestrin. I've been on it for almost four years now (although the first two were regular Loestrin (24 FE) and that was just dandy as well) and I wouldn't try anything else. No mood swings, no weight gain, no nothing. The only side effects I have are random, occasional uterine cramping and extremely light periods (but I still cramp during my placebo week). That's it. Just my two cents, as I've been on dozens of other pills and this one works best for me. Just a suggestion! :)