Does MFP really work?

Options
2»

Replies

• vlatkodimitrov
    Options
    It works :) .

It makes you aware of how much calories you're ingesting, and approximates how much you're spending each day, so you cannot feign ignorance of your actions - whether by over eating (or under eating).

And truly, that's all that it takes. Try it, and you'll see :)
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I've had great success with it , as long as you're honest and consistent
    I don't even bother to track carbs, I love them so I know I probably eat like 200g+ some days XD
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am not expecting it to be quick. Just 1-2 lbs a week would thrill me.
    Good! That will serve you well. The most common problem is unsustainable goals that leads to discouragement.

Counting calories, whether with Weight Watchers of MFP, is pretty hard to argue with. If we burn more than we consume, we lose weight. It has surely worked for me. I'm in my second year of maintenance.

Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP is the hammer, but you still have to be the carpenter. If you're ready and patient, then it will work.

Yes and you can't use the hammer as a saw...you have to use it correctly.

It's not a diet....that's the first thing.

Set reasonable goals...2lbs a week is for those who have over 100lbs to lose...and it will leave you with a small number of calories.

Don't expect this weight to come off quickly...be patient.

Don't cut out foods and food groups it is not necessary. Eat the same way you plan on eating for the rest of your life just eating smaller portions.

Weigh your food otherwise you are guessing on how much you have on your plate/bowl.
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it really works.. i wasnt into calorie counting but mfp does it for me anyway, i just type in what ive had to eat and what exercise ive done for how long and its works it all out for me ;) Awsome tool.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's a tool, won't do miracles, you need to do it yourself.
    MFP works because its not a diet, it's a life style.
    DIETS DON'T WORK. Good luck :)
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great framework to design an eating plan that is SUSTAINABLE for you. It's not magic, but it is a powerful tool. Use it well.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Yes. It works, if you use it as a weight loss aid. There is no magic... you have to do the work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool for creating a calorie deficit…if you are honest about your logging and use it to create a deficit then yes, you will lose weight…
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I too am a type 2 diabetic. When I started MFP I needed a daily insulin shot. With MFP I have lost weight and balanced my macro nutrients so that I no longer take insulin. I have lost every week for the last 5 months, even through the holidays.

You can make MFP work for you, but you have to be honest with yourself. You need to commit to weighing and logging everything that goes into your mouth. At first that seems cumbersome, but after a while it becomes automatic. Accurate logging is where you collect the data you need to figure out what works best for you. I have also committed myself to daily exercise. My doctor once said 30 minutes per day is like taking 5 units of insulin. So I make sure I get at least 30 minutes in each day.

Find friends and join groups. There is a group for Type 2 diabetics that I recommend. It has a lot of great information and people who will be able to provide specific advice on what has worked for them. Remember everyone's diabetes is different so you will need to figure out what works for you.
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes it works if you put in the effort.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a tool, with a really supportive community attached.
    If you set realistic goals and follow through on them, you will almost certainly see success.

In other words, if you do the work, you will see results. That goes for whatever program you choose to follow.

PS. It has worked for me!

yep this^^ weight watchers worked for me in the past and I am losing the same exact rate with mfp as when I was with ww's (anywhere from 1, 1.5 or 2#'s a week) yes it is going to be "slow" but that is the most healthy way for your body to lose it and be able to keep it off without losing too much muscle mass. Mfp is a tool to keep track of what you eat. What program or calories restriction methods you use is whatever suits you and works best for you. I like the healthy approach of eating like the way you can maintain for life. I know that the way I eat now is how I can do this for the rest of my life for sure. I just eat planned snacks and meals that stay within my daily calorie goal and aim to stay as active as I can throughout each day. I actually loved weight watchers and think a lot of their philosophies are wonderful. but they aren't free like mfp. so yes, for me it works. I can see myself on here even after I hit my goal.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet. Take that word "diet" and throw it in the trash. That is a bad word.

Now, use My Fitness Pal to track your food and your exercise.

If you work out and it gives you more calories to eat, eat some of them but not all of them.

Be truthful in your logging. I omit stuff sometimes and sometimes I actually forget. The reason why we don't lose weight when we are "actually trying to" is becasue we are not honest with ourselves on what we eat.

Watch the sugar in your food, especially the prepared foods. Everything has sugar in it. EVERYTHING.

Prepare your meals. If your life depended on your meals being prepared, you'd do it, so act like your life depends on it (it actually does in a way.)

Watch the alcohol.

Keep logging and read some of the blogs. Be realistic and know that this doesn't happen overnight. Stay off the scale. Get your body moving, even if you don't want to. Two months down the line you find that you WANT TO.

Good luck.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    All I've used is MFP. I've lost over 70 pounds so far. At the beginning I did almost no exercise unless I wanted more calories. Over time, I've built myself up so I'm exercising three days a week regardless of my calories. I haven't restricted any food groups, and the only macro I've watched is my protein since I have a hard time getting enough (and thus staying full).

Trust the science. Calorie counting works, it just might not be quickly. Have reasonable mini goals, but don't stress out about hitting your goal weight by a specific time. Take it one day at a time, it'll happen.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

Found some exercises that I love, counted calories, lost almost 60 lbs in 9 months.

No off-limits foods. Just paid attention to my protein for the sake of maximizing muscle mass retention as I lost the body fat.

Really, calorie counting is just like budgeting. Not exactly exciting, but a life skill that helps you manage your calorie needs. I find it funny that some people think that budgeting is essential for managing financial needs (I agree), but then turn around and call calorie counting extreme :smile:.

And don't let the amount of time logging takes get to you. If you use a mobile app, by the time you've logged for a month, 90% of the things you eat day to day are already in your diary in the recent/frequent foods list, and will be auto-prompted as you start to type them as well. Logging ends up being a 5-10 cumulative minutes per day thing after a while. A small price to pay to keep the weight off!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. YOU have to do the work. But, yes, this tool is very effective and helpful!
  • ACoBildo
    ACoBildo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP is the tool that forces me to be accountable for everything I put in my body. I've lost 20 lbs in 2 months with moderate exercise and I am never starving.

Weight loss is about lifestyle change, not dieting. Eat whatever you want, just in moderation. Take it slow and the pounds will fall off.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    of course it worked for me just look at my ticker. You just have to be honest when you track, drink water and exercise:smile: