Really, you think it is the same.....seriously!!!!

Options
Ok, I have to vent! I have been working out and eating more healthy for about 11 weeks consistantly and since Jan off and on to April. I have lost 16 pounds and about 15 inches (I haven't checked measurements in the last two weeks) and down from a size 14 to a 10-8. My coworker was in my classroom during conference today and was asking me about how things were going...........

I told him that things were going well, but I was no longer focusing on the number on the scale but how my clothes fit. I was feeling proud of all my work and then.....

.....he kind of stammers around and informs me that his wife has lost 53 pounds and could now wear a size 10 down from an 18. I was kind of taken a back. I told him "wow that is great and wanted to know how she was doing it" . He told me "just watching her calories and doing a little walking" I said "wow, I am working my tail off and things still aren't working that well for me" Then he let it slip that she was taking diet pills. My response to this comment was......well I have decided to loose mine the old fashioned way........lots of hard work, plus I wanted to do this to be healthy and that taking those can not be good for you or you could just get them any where.

I mean does he really think her accomplishments are the same as mine? My theory is anyone can loose weight if your taking diet pills. I don't mean to step on anyones toes or make any enemies.

I just felt like he was putting me down because she had accomplished so much more and it hurt my feelings and........mad me very mad! I hope he decided to stay in his room tomorrow!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That's the whole diet mentality. Just being healthy and learning how to do it is more important that speedy weight loss. Keep doing what you are doing. You're doing great.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't take it too personally. If sounds as though you have made some fantastic changes in your life and that should mean that you get healthy and stay healthy for the long term.

Remember that whatever actions someone else has chosen doesn't take away from your accomplishments. Be proud of the changes you've made and accept that different people choose different paths and often have different outcomes.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That's the whole diet mentality. Just being healthy and learning how to do it is more important that speedy weight loss. Keep doing what you are doing. You're doing great.
    [/quote

thanks! I was just floored!
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!
  • mgs68pony
    Options
    Don't take it too personally. If sounds as though you have made some fantastic changes in your life and that should mean that you get healthy and stay healthy for the long term.

Remember that whatever actions someone else has chosen doesn't take away from your accomplishments. Be proud of the changes you've made and accept that different people choose different paths and often have different outcomes.

Thank you! It is just aggravating!
  • roningt
    roningt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First time i lost my weight I used a doc prescribed drug for only one month to help me get over the hump if you will. It worked. This time around the same drug and my body don't like each other.

Each person has to do it their own way I guess but to answer your question its not the same thing. You are working your butt off fighting for every pound you loss. This time around I too am doing it "the old fashion way" so i feel your paid. Don't let someone who has no clue what your fighting for to discourage your progress.
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You are doing it the right way. You are not on a diet, you made a lifestyle change. She is taking pills, and "walking a little". Once she runs out of pills, she will gian that weight back, and probably a little more than she had when she started. You are doing it the healthy way, through exercise and proper eating habits. You won't run out of that..lol
  • mgs68pony
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!

I know my husband said to tell her to be sure to save all those size 18 clothes because as soon as she quit taking them she would be bak in them. haha
  • mgs68pony
    Options
    You are doing it the right way. You are not on a diet, you made a lifestyle change. She is taking pills, and "walking a little". Once she runs out of pills, she will gian that weight back, and probably a little more than she had when she started. You are doing it the healthy way, through exercise and proper eating habits. You won't run out of that..lol

Thank you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Thank you! It is just aggravating!

Yup, I would have been pissed off too. Hopefully this vent has got it out of your system and you can keep on with those positive changes :smile:
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    People who use aides tell to regain the weight…
  • POKlink
    POKlink Posts: 19
    Options
    Had a girl at work enter the biggest loser competition they have and went on a liquid diet to lose a bunch quick. She ended up winning, suprise suprise, but to me it just seemed like she was cheating, since the others in the competition were actually working hard to lose their weight. Exactly why I didn't enter when I heard her talking about entering and either doing the liquid diet or HCG. Just doesn't seem fair to the rest of the people doing it the right way.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

GREAT!!!
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow.. well guess what- you are EARNING your body. It will be so much better for you than just popping a pill. Sorry to be so blunt.... but also put it this way: She is taking little pills to make her lose weight. You are working out. She is going to have a bunch more body fat than you are because you working out= muscle. You will be toned, and healthy. You will burn more calories naturally with more muscle. :) Being healthy and in shape takes a lot of effort.

I can see why you felt the way you did, but try to not take it too personally because you are doing things in a healthy manner. :) It's a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. If you want to be healthy for the long term, in the long run, then a lifestyle change is the right way to go. To each his/her own, though. As long as she's happy with her choices, that's what matters for her.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I would never take diet pills, but if she is also changing her lifestyle I think it's wrong to completely downplay her work. Just like other people have lost weight a lot faster than me without diet pills. Does that mean they are better? No. That they worked harder? No. It means their weight came off easier and that's all. You will kill your spirit if you compare yourself to everyone else and need to marginalize their accomplishment to feel better about yours

Edit: typed on an iPhone :(
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why this bothered you so much. 50lbs is still a lot, regardless of diet pills or not. And either way, it's not relevant to how much you've lost. It's not a competition.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

I know my husband said to tell her to be sure to save all those size 18 clothes because as soon as she quit taking them she would be bak in them. haha
    I think you sound like a rude person. Your initial post didn't give me a good impression and this one just takes it a little further.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep, and once she reaches her goal weight and stops taking those pills, she's gonna gain it all back. Unlike you. I wouldn't let it get to you.
  • barleespringers
    Options
    I'm prouder of people who are taking charge of their life and working hard for their weight loss. For us, we are mentally ready to change our eating habits therefore more of a life change, that lasts.

Others (i feel) have a longer road to travel because they are not trully facing their weight gain reasons. I could be wrong and not everyone is the same. I just tell them, well done with a smile. Then again, I am not a fan of weight watchers either. lol
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I might be confused and please pardon me but it sounds like HE is the one that should be mad at you.

From the sound of it, he shared with you, a colleague who was on topic, how his wife has also dropped a few lbs. I don't see how it can be hurtful for you that he mentioned his wifes achievement after you mentioned yours. He is not in the wrong for sharing that...

Then you bash on him/his wife for taking pills? Now, thats just judgmental. Most of us on MFP know that diet pills don't work, or you regain the weight and sometimes can even be harmful but...thats no way to tell him that. And you even admitted that you were hurt and I can imagine you didn't told him politely about the diet pills. Just say "Wow thats amazing weight loss. But I heard some of those pills can be harmful" or something along the lines.

I rarely say something like this but sound to me that you were wrong. But then again, I wasn't there so what do I know