Really, you think it is the same.....seriously!!!!

Options

Replies

• Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't take it too personally. If sounds as though you have made some fantastic changes in your life and that should mean that you get healthy and stay healthy for the long term.

Remember that whatever actions someone else has chosen doesn't take away from your accomplishments. Be proud of the changes you've made and accept that different people choose different paths and often have different outcomes.

I agree with this. It sounds like you did a wonderful things getting to where you are. I think all of us here know it is hard to lose the weight. With that said, everyone does it their own way. You never know how she is using those pills. Her use of diet pills in no way takes away from what you did, but to each their own.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!

I know my husband said to tell her to be sure to save all those size 18 clothes because as soon as she quit taking them she would be bak in them. haha

Yeah.....sorry but seriously you are just plain wrong and spiteful.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel(if he was comparing your hard work to his wife's use of just pills anyways), after my cousin saw me losing weight she wanted to do it too, so she started, and a few months into it i had gained some weight from the birth control i was taking and she asked me if i was taking phentermine like she was. I said no, she then asked why and i said because i didn't want to and she told me well thats just stupid, if you can take a pill to help you lose weight why not do it. I told her, no whats stupid is relying on a pill to lose the weight for you then gaining it back once you get off the pill and are still eating the same as you did before instead of teaching yourself how to eat right and keep the weight off a meal for her is a large Starbucks coffee and a whole package of twizzlers. I was so pissed, but i got over it and i am sure you will too. I wouldn't worry to much about it some other people just don't have the same understanding of getting healthy or losing weight.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter to you? She is doing well and you are doing well. You should be encouraging eachother not hating on her for not doing it the "old fashioned way." She may gain it all back and she may have used it as a jumpstart to a new healthy lifestyle. It shouldnt matter to you. It doesnt really make a difference to your life and your progress. I would never tell someone who lost weight through diet pills/weightloss surgery etc that they are somehow less because they didnt have it as hard as me. Just be proud of yourself and wish for the best.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes. Losing weight is losing weight. You have no idea how much it makes my blood boil when someone say they're losing the old fashioned way to me. It's like a put down that I had surgery. Like they are better than me. Its BS.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Think of it this way: You're doing something that you can maintain healthfully for the rest of your life. She, however, can't take diet pills forever unless she wants to die of heart failure. Keep up the good work!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    it's okay, she'll gain it back asap because she doesn't know how to eat properly or workout.

plus losing too fast = excess skin
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I have a "friend" who started dieting with the help of phentermine around the same time I started my lifestyle change. She immediately lost 11 lbs in one month while I was averaging a 1-1.5 lb per week loss during the same month. When we were visiting and catching up one day she commented on my low loss amount and said I needed to go to my doctor and get some phentermine because it would really help me. I just smiled and said "no thanks." Then she proceeded to call me obsessive because I log everything I eat every day and said I was crazy for getting up at 5:30 am to exercise.

She quit taking the phentermine about 6 weeks ago. She has since gained all the weight she lost back and then some. I still haven't lost as much as she had, but I'm losing at a steady rate, eating healthy and exercising every day. I feel better at 29 than I did at 18!

I know my husband said to tell her to be sure to save all those size 18 clothes because as soon as she quit taking them she would be bak in them. haha

Yeah.....sorry but seriously you are just plain wrong and spiteful.

I agree with taunto. Spreading hateful thoughts and being jealous does not help anyone. Be happy for her. There is plenty of good in the world for everyone to have some. Her success does not subtract from yours. Chillax.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    What does it matter what he thinks, if she's taking diet pills, or you or not? Her weight loss is her fish to fry, and your's is your's. You aren't doing it for his appraisal, you're doing it for you. Different people need different avenues to help them achieve a slender frame. You shouldn't down her for her choices any more than he should for your's. I could give two craps less what people think of how i'm losing mine. One of my dear friends lost over 100 lbs using HCG & has now kept it off for a year. I celebrate her accomplishment. She celebrates my loss and encourages me to finish. Different strokes for different folks.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My theory is anyone can loose weight if your taking diet pills.

:huh: If that were true, nobody would be overweight.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I don't really understand why this bothered you so much. 50lbs is still a lot, regardless of diet pills or not. And either way, it's not relevant to how much you've lost. It's not a competition.

I agree with this. Yes the OP is doing it the right way (congrats and kudos OP!), but the other woman is walking more, watching her diet and has chosen to use diet pills as well. I don't particularly agree with diet pills, but I also don't agree with the OP's reaction. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I like to live and let live...
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Okay, I hated this when they told me this, but: Feelings are not Fact! What you feel (hurt, angry or upset) is not a fact of the situation. You already said it, YOU worked your tail off! That is FACT!

And, you should be happy for the other person, not resentful, that is your pride and ego getting in the way. There is more than one way to lose weight, but you are chosing to do it the way to get FIT, not just lose weight.

Be proud of how and why you are doing it, be happy for those that are accomplishing their goals, and be thankful of the choices you have made.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I personally took phetermine a couple times and I lost a lot of weight, I was also a totally grouch and gained back every ounce and than some. Just my experience.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like when people slam people for being judgmental...doesn't that mean you are also being judgmental? Let's all just be nice =]
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Oh please Hon! I have taken several types of diet (herbal, pharmaceutical, etc) pills and one thing rings true : You will gain it back with a vengeance! And its not just me, the same thing happened with my dad's ex-fiance and my twin sister (despite her list of excuses!). The worst part is that you gain more than before and its really hard to get rid of.

You are doing it the old fashion way and it has yielded great results. Ignore that guy, different things work for different people.

BTW you are right, anyone can lose weight on diet pills, mainly because its just water weight.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No offense, but why do you care? You were the one who goaded him by not ending the conversation when he mentioned diet pills. Instead of letting it go, you had to talk about how much better YOU are for doing it with lots of hard work. Are you saying she's not working hard? Maybe she's having a difficult time with losing weight and desperate for help.

Instead of having a civil conversation, you turned it ugly. Sorry but this one's on you.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that he asked about your weight loss. Maybe he is secretly concerned about the diet pills his wife is taking. I have a girlfriend on those things. She is a hot mess.

If he asks you more about what you are doing I'd tell him. Right now, he is probably telling his wife there is a healthier way to lose weight, and he has a co-worker that looks great to prove it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    BTW you are right, anyone can lose weight on diet pills, mainly because its just water weight.

Yeah, 50 pounds of water, sure. Why are you enabling the OP's selfish attitude?
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I like when people slam people for being judgmental...doesn't that mean you are also being judgmental? Let's all just be nice =]

Wait... so doesn't that mean you are slamming people who are being judgmental about people being judgmental?

:bigsmile:
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Also my best friends neighbor went from a size 14 to a size 2 with phentermine to jumpstart her weightloss. She was a bridesmaid with me for my friends wedding and wanted to be thinner for the wedding. Didnt realize her results wouldcbe so awesome. Anyway, four years later she is still a size two and enjoying her skinnier, healthier, more active life. Some people dont gain it back. Different things work/dont work for different people.