help with protein

Options
13»

Replies

• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    gold standard chocolate mint powder = deliciousness
    myofusion cookies and cream+ pb2+skim milk+ ice+a blender=Reeses heaven!

plus I totally add myofusion cinnamon bun to my unflavored oatmeal, yum yum yum! (cinnamon bun is too strong by itself)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Since starting P90X, I have moved to a 50% protein diet, and I come up short every single day. I have no idea how to eat that much protein LOL... I wanna hear some answers too! :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes every single day to help me reach my goal (I'm a vegetarian). I often add peanut butter and fruit to up the protein content even more, and add flavor!

Other things I love that are high in protein:
    Almonds
    Eggs
    Lentils (and other beans, but lentils are so low cal and so high in protein, and require no soaking so quicker :D)
    Kashi chewy bars
    Peanut butter

Feel free to friend me or just take a look at my diary. I go over my protein goal a lot and I know if I can do that as a vegetarian, anyone can do it!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091026125543.htm

I had a trainer who told me also for women it should be around 20 per meal, and men around 30.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, I have read several places with conflicting reports, but it seems to make sense to me.

*I am not a nutritionist/scientist/authority. I don't believe everything I read on the internet. Just passing along tidbits.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I do most of my cooking once or twice a week and prepare enough that I don't have to do much extravagant the rest of the week. Chicken is a glorious choice for protein that is relatively low fat and low calorie and can be seasoned so many ways that it never gets old.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Just thought of something: I'm really happy some of you liked the cinnamon idea, but make sure you add it BEFORE you add your liquid! Cinnamon likes to float... as I learned one Thanksgiving when I realized I'd forgotten the cinnamon in my pumpkin pie mixture and tried to add it after I'd already poured it into the pie plate. :embarassed:

Also, Vietnamese cinnamon has an amazing sweet flavor to it that's also got a good spicy kick. I buy mine in bulk at Penzeys, but you can get it at pretty much any store that has a decent spice selection.

For the record, my favorite morning protein latte (which I usually end up drinking half of in the morning and refrigerating the rest for an afternoon pick-me-up) is 2 scoops of whey protein (NNW Healthy 100% Whey), 1 packet of Starbucks VIA, and 1 rounded teaspoon of cinnamon in a blender bottle, then add 2 cups of skim milk and shake the heck out of it. The whole thing comes out to be about 430 calories with 60g of protein, 36g carbs (pretty much entirely from the milk, so just use water if you're strictly low-carb - only cuts 16g of protein from the total) and 4g fat.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ The general rule of thumb is to consume 1 gram of Protein per pound of your lean body mass ... some people will consume 1 gram per pound of their actual weight. You should try to consume a decent amount of Protein with every meal ... but more importantly it is most beneficial after a heavy burn from any type of weight lifting. Other than that ... just work on consuming what you can per serving throughout the day.

Trying to consume 100 grams of protein is not unrealistic ... it is indeed very attainable.

There is a lot of websites out there that can assist you in good protein choices .... but like many have already stated ... you can't go wrong with chicken or salmon !

:smile:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot to include greek yogurt on my list! That stuff is the BOMB! I'm sure i forgot some other things too :P
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, many studies have shown that anything over 20 grams per meal is superfluous.

I am guilty of eating more than 20 grams per meal, but just something to keep in mind. All that extra protein you are ingesting may not be doing you a lick of good.

Why? I haven't seen that. Do you have links to the articles?

I have heard this but it is my understanding that it is not substantiated and studies have refuted it.

Not a study - but it references this idea: http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    WELL I HV HEARD FRM FITNESS PROFESSIONALS ABT PROTEIN. WHETHER ITZ 20,30,40,50, OR 60 IN ONE MEAL; UR BODY WILL NT EXCRETE IT BT WILL JUX TAKE LONGER TO DIGEST. UR BODY DOES NT STORE PROTEIN THE WAY IT STORES CARBS SO U ALWAYS NEED A CONSTANT SUPPLY IN UR BODY TO REPAIR AND REBUILD UR MUSCLES. IM A NUTRITIONIST SO I THINK U CAN B SAFE TAKING MY ADVICE! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • misshilodiva
    Options
    aloha i had gastric bypass and my protein levels fell dangerously low im now am on iron liquid to help with protein levels and i eat protein bars and special k protein water, eat lots of fish any kind ,tuna and leafy greens, Greek yogurt! Good luck dear!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Try a smoothie,made with skimmed milk,instant milk,natural yogurt and bananas YUMMY thats what i do! :bigsmile: low cal,no sugar and high protein!

or grab a egg! 10/12 protein there
    OR
    try a skinny latte at starbucks,10 protein,99 cals and a treat!
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Best thing I've done to meet my protien requirements is to roast about a kilo of chicken breasts (cut into strips) with spices in an oven bag, and split into smaller 150/200g bags and use them as snacks. They freeze well and are super yummy
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions and advice. I've made a list and can hopefully add some of these ideas to my diet. The only thing that I can't eat is soy products (due to breast cancer) but I think there were plenty of other alternatives listed.

Here's my question --- I'm not a huge fan of chicken -- very picky, but it seems like that it would be beneficial to add it to my diet. In order for me to like chicken, it needs to be juicy and full of flavor. Any recipe ideas??? can I add cheese (hehe)? I love the idea of making enough on my day off to last the entire week. Suggestions? Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions and advice. I've made a list and can hopefully add some of these ideas to my diet. The only thing that I can't eat is soy products (due to breast cancer) but I think there were plenty of other alternatives listed.

Here's my question --- I'm not a huge fan of chicken -- very picky, but it seems like that it would be beneficial to add it to my diet. In order for me to like chicken, it needs to be juicy and full of flavor. Any recipe ideas??? can I add cheese (hehe)? I love the idea of making enough on my day off to last the entire week. Suggestions? Thanks.

A lot of the premade 'protein' drinks you get from supermarkets (that aren't very high in protein anyway) are from soy milk - so I would suggest getting whey protein powder to top up your protein if you need to.

ETA: sorry - can't help you with the chicken - veggie and bad cook here!