NYC Large sugary drink ban proposed

Options

Replies

• focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I personally think the government has somewhat of an obligation to try to think of something to help this crisis that we are in. By 2030 more than 40% of American will be obese. Which will lead to more health problems which will lead to more health costs passed on to consumers.

I never buy this argument... If Johnny Coke dies of a heart attack at 55 wouldn't that be cheaper then Tommy Marathon dying at 87 of a stroke or any of the maladies of old age? Same thing with smokers... Wally Marlboro and his Lung cancer at 75 cant cost that much more then an additional decade of even reasonable health.

Do you really think that the only cost for being fat is dying? Its amazing how many healthy issues simply disappear once someone loses weight. Even 20 pounds can be the difference between high blood pressure and not high blood pressure.Type 2 diabetes and not type 2 diabetes. The average person can have a variety of health problems throughout their life, obesity exacerbates those and adds a few extra for good measure.

What is the number one cause for bankruptcy in the US? Medical. Even insured people have medical bankruptcies because of rising health care costs. The hospitals "absorb" these costs and then it is passed back to the consumer.
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2009/db2009064_666715.htm

This is not only a matter of national health and safety this ties right into our financial security as well. But Like I said in my first post, I don't think a soda ban is actually going to fix anything. I would like to see my tax dollars going towards more meaningful things.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

If most families operated like yours there would not be 35% obesity in this country. Sadly, that is not the case which makes this an anecdotal example. A family of 6 can eat off of the dollar menu at most fast food for 18 dollars, and not have to prepare a thing at home. When both parents work that is apparently an attractive option.

These menus were not around 20 years ago. Neither were 52 ounce jugs of soda. What happened, and why aren't 52 ounce jugs of soda available in China and Europe? Because their people demand better and we should too.

It is simple in Europe and China people do not want a 52oz soda. In the US people do want it. I do not know is there a regulation drink size in Europe and China?

If someone wants it and can pay for it, why should they not be able to get it? It is not an illegal substance. And even this law would not stop someone from buying a 2 liter in the store right next to Burger King and chugging it on the street corner.

And that is why folks in China and Europe are so much healther and smarter. If we do not think other countries are lying in wait while Americans get fatter, lazier, and dumber under the guise of "freedom" we are deluding ourselves.

Can you show me anything that proves that people in Europe and China are healthier and smarter.

The European Union and China both have shorter life expectancies

Smarter... how do you judge smarter? There is a statistic called the education index that combines literacy with level of education. The US ranks 20th on that list.. China- 96th. There is no rating for the full EU, but at 20, the US is squarely in the middle of several EU countries.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    How about proposing a ban on cigarettes too, then ?

Why not go far and ban alcohol and all processed oils.. why stop at just beverages lol.

Soft drink aren't being banned.

No, but LARGE sugary drinks are. So why not cut cigarette packs back to 10 cigarettes instead of 20 because 20 is just way too many for some people!!

And lets cut back Alcohol bottle sizes as some sizes are just too much for people to handle!

Why stop at just sugary drinks ?

Because cigarettes and alcohol cannot be purchased by minors. A 52 ounce carafe of Mountain Dew can be purchased at any gas station. There are many angles to this but the bottom line is that the lack of vision here about what we will look like as a country in 20-30 years is downright scary.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    ITA with you! government is getting involved way too much in our lives. Its not like people don't realize that drinking that 64 oz full sugar soda isn't a healthy choice. its way to intrusive if you ask me.

This!!!!

Okay, let's now ban Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, General Mills, Post, Nestle, and any other processed food companies you can think of.

One can't put regulations on EVERYTHING....especially when I'm sure that political donations are in play.

I think EDUCATION is much more positive. People don't understand that some of this crap isn't food. They're mother made Betty and now they do...some of this stuff was marketed as healthy at one point...just like smokes were considered a healthy benefit. LOL? :noway:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is going to match our obesity tax perfectly. I effing LOVE NYC!!!

home for life ♥♥♥♥♥
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options

It's not the 55, 75, or 87 year olds that are the biggest concern here. It's the 6, 12 and 18 year olds. If anyone here cannot see the link between nutrition and the future of this country they have their eyes closed and their ears covered.

I agree but my question is........where are their parents? It's the parents' responsibility to ensure that their children eat a healthy balanced diet, not the government's.

When mom and dad drink a 52 ounce soda in one sitting, their daughters and sons will want to also. Kids mimic the behaviors that they observe.

I think with the rate of obesity this is beyond bad parenting and simply we're just fat and lazy. Our brains, our biology, the way our chemisty reacts to sugars and stimulants has a lot to do with why its so hard for people to shut this stuff down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    LET'S SEE - they raised the price of cigarettes to $5-7.00 per pack and it didn't stop the smokers. People need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OBESITY. Its not Coca-Cola's fault !!!

cigs here are $15

no one is punishing coke.

The summer is coming here fast.

Most kids in NYC have both parents working and they arent gonna choose water after school. They all do the same freaking thing I do. Run into the bodega and buy a BIG FAT ARIZONA. Hopefully. Instead of soda. Since Arizona's have from 120-200 cals in the whole bottle but the teas actually have little bitty bits of nutritional value.

But if these kids run into the bodega and only have healthier options, I consider it a freaking WIN.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't always drink soda
    but when I do
    I like to know that I can drink BIG GULPS & SUPER SIZED 22oz+ drinks that contain sugar.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiiMw5tqi5O6dbcWBKQZZoU5B0ZFNRTByBpkSI5efEzMQfpYvI

My friends if NYC goes through with this ban I will personally start a huge black market of selling 22+oz drinks that contain sugar and sell them to those in NYC.

STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    :drinker:
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    What else will government decide for us. This is a slippery slope. I can see this step for items that have dangerous consequences even with moderation. I suppose that the argument for this is that the choices of those who drink excessive calories have a significant impact on all of us. This sounds like the argument to force other things like helmets, seat belts, prohibiting smoking, alcohol, marijuana, drugs. The line is unclear between freedom to chose for oneself and forcing the choice of the majority on the minority. It seems to me that high calorie drinks are no different than cigarets. Perhaps a warning label would serve to embarrass us away from what we all know is bad for us.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    I personally think the government has somewhat of an obligation to try to think of something to help this crisis that we are in. By 2030 more than 40% of American will be obese. Which will lead to more health problems which will lead to more health costs passed on to consumers.

I never buy this argument... If Johnny Coke dies of a heart attack at 55 wouldn't that be cheaper then Tommy Marathon dying at 87 of a stroke or any of the maladies of old age? Same thing with smokers... Wally Marlboro and his Lung cancer at 75 cant cost that much more then an additional decade of even reasonable health.

Do you really think that the only cost for being fat is dying? Its amazing how many healthy issues simply disappear once someone loses weight. Even 20 pounds can be the difference between high blood pressure and not high blood pressure.Type 2 diabetes and not type 2 diabetes. The average person can have a variety of health problems throughout their life, obesity exacerbates those and adds a few extra for good measure.

What is the number one cause for bankruptcy in the US? Medical. Even insured people have medical bankruptcies because of rising health care costs. The hospitals "absorb" these costs and then it is passed back to the consumer.
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2009/db2009064_666715.htm

This is not only a matter of national health and safety this ties right into our financial security as well. But Like I said in my first post, I don't think a soda ban is actually going to fix anything. I would like to see my tax dollars going towards more meaningful things.

Obviously healthy living is cheaper when you are alive... I did not lose 70lbs for no reason... but is it reasonable to assume a less healthy person will live for less time on average? I really do not see how being overweight really adds a tremendous amount to overall health care cost when both people tally up the bill on their death bed.
  • GorillaNJ
    Options
    LET'S SEE - they raised the price of cigarettes to $5-7.00 per pack and it didn't stop the smokers. People need to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OBESITY. Its not Coca-Cola's fault !!!

cigs here are $15

no one is punishing coke.

The summer is coming here fast.

Most kids in NYC have both parents working and they arent gonna choose water after school. They all do the same freaking thing I do. Run into the bodega and buy a BIG FAT ARIZONA. Hopefully. Instead of soda. Since Arizona's have from 120-200 cals in the whole bottle but the teas actually have little bitty bits of nutritional value.

But if these kids run into the bodega and only have healthier options, I consider it a freaking WIN.

Bodegas can still sell soda bottles at any size. This only prevents places that serve fountain drinks from selling non-diet soda over 20oz.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    How about proposing a ban on cigarettes too, then ?

Why not go far and ban alcohol and all processed oils.. why stop at just beverages lol.

Soft drink aren't being banned.

No, but LARGE sugary drinks are. So why not cut cigarette packs back to 10 cigarettes instead of 20 because 20 is just way too many for some people!!

And lets cut back Alcohol bottle sizes as some sizes are just too much for people to handle!

Why stop at just sugary drinks ?

Then why have any food or safety regulations at all? Why not just let corporations run our lives completely without any government intervention?
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

If most families operated like yours there would not be 35% obesity in this country. Sadly, that is not the case which makes this an anecdotal example. A family of 6 can eat off of the dollar menu at most fast food for 18 dollars, and not have to prepare a thing at home. When both parents work that is apparently an attractive option.

These menus were not around 20 years ago. Neither were 52 ounce jugs of soda. What happened, and why aren't 52 ounce jugs of soda available in China and Europe? Because their people demand better and we should too.

It is simple in Europe and China people do not want a 52oz soda. In the US people do want it. I do not know is there a regulation drink size in Europe and China?

If someone wants it and can pay for it, why should they not be able to get it? It is not an illegal substance. And even this law would not stop someone from buying a 2 liter in the store right next to Burger King and chugging it on the street corner.

And that is why folks in China and Europe are so much healther and smarter. If we do not think other countries are lying in wait while Americans get fatter, lazier, and dumber under the guise of "freedom" we are deluding ourselves.

Can you show me anything that proves that people in Europe and China are healthier and smarter.

The European Union and China both have shorter life expectancies

Smarter... how do you judge smarter? There is a statistic called the education index that combines literacy with level of education. The US ranks 20th on that list.. China- 96th. There is no rating for the full EU, but at 20, the US is squarely in the middle of several EU countries.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

That aside, I've traveled extensively in Europe. Their kids know 2-3 languages, many study year round, and they are overall healther. Companies in the US cannot find folks here for technical work and bring folks over from India at this point.

China has other issues that contribute to life expectancy, and one of the big ones is the difference in class. Their kids are as smart as whips though, and run circles around ours and that offends me. This is an old study but looking for a newer one. It's probably worse.

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-countries-that-have-smarter-children-than-america-2010-6
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Okay,

My cousin (by marriage) doesn't drink, smoke, eat processed foods, she's a judge and she works out five days a week and is a marathon runner.

She had a heart attack.

Some of these health problems are going to happen anyway. It also was similar when my uncle (by marriage) also had cardiac arrest.

Thin, fit, healthy people do get sick too. Much less likely, but they do.

Here...let's regulate this: Heinz - Tomato Ketchup 64oz. 2120 Calories...that's a Big Gulp size isn't it? :laugh:

So the only thing we can regulate now is who can procreate and who cannot.

What's the difference?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how many big government types we had on MFP

Considering this is a site where people go to help themselves (Not big brother making you lose weight)

CONTINUE ON COMRADE
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    I didn't realize how many big government types we had on MFP

Considering this is a site where people go to help themselves (Not big brother making you lose weight)

CONTINUE ON COMRADE

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Keep your laws off my body!

Legalize EVERYTHING!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Can I still get a bucket of KFC and dip the drumsticks into the gravy?? If so, then I can live w/o a 44oz sweet tea.
    1161435_o.gif

Banning one thing will just make people go to something else. It's not like they cant just go to a 7/11 or anything and get a SUPER BIG GULP for .25 cents....
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Kinda - it's a step in the right direction but it's a drop in the ocean.

They need to also ban the constant bombardment of ads on tv and billboards advertising junk food. You just can't get away.

I agree 100%!!! Companies need to stop being allowed to advertise to kids so much. Has anybody watched Nickelodeon lately??!! McDonald's advertises almost every other commercial. Kids know what buttons to push to drive mom & dad nuts so they give in. Sure mom & dad have a responsibility to monitor what their children eat, but every parent has their breaking point of the tantrums and whining and crying and bugging.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think government has no business telling us what we may or may not do with our bodies. Education is the key, I think they should spend funds on educating the public about healthy food choices rather than restricting the general population from enjoying a sugar filled beverage, which would include beer, wine, and liquor. Soda and energy drinks are not the only sources of liquid sugar that lead to weight gain.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I couldnt have said it any better than this:) Although people do not need to be drinking that big of a drink, it is still our right to choose, just because someone else says its bad for you and you shouldnt have it. They can say that about alot of things, choc, sugar, cake, brownies, etc etc etc are they going to ban all the other stuff too? And would you want them to? This is America...let us have the freedom to choose what we eat and how much and let US pay for the consequences.