30DS Disappointment

Options
I read alot of positive info on the 30DS. I finished level 1 yesterday after ten days. I actually gained two pounds and didnt lose an inch. Anyone else have this same situation? It really is upsetting with all that hard work nothing has been accomplished. I realize it was only level one, so Im going to continue to Level 2 today, hopefully by the end of June ill see some results.

Replies

• LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh no ,please keep us updated. I have the 30DS coming and hope to start in the next few days.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I read alot of positive info on the 30DS. I finished level 1 yesterday after ten days. I actually gained two pounds and didnt lose an inch. Anyone else have this same situation? It really is upsetting with all that hard work nothing has been accomplished. I realize it was only level one, so Im going to continue to Level 2 today, hopefully by the end of June ill see some results.

I personally love it.

You will see improvement - 1 week is not enough to judge a stength program.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    you cannot base it on the first 10 days... also, drink plenty of water and watch your sodium...

stick with it, and try to add a 30 min walk or some form of extra cardio 3x a week as well.:flowerforyou:
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you have a calorie deficit? Do you eat back your calories? What did you do before 30 ds? Some newbies gain a lot of water in the beginning.its very common.
  • ajoy1332
    ajoy1332 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda feeling the same way. I've gained a pound..I just finished day 7. I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger though. I'm trying to add in running and other cardio to hopefully shed some pounds. Let's keep at it and hopefully by the end we will have great results!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get that you want to loose weight but you have to be realstic. By the posts here it just sounds like your expectations are just waaaay to big. The results of 30 ds are very individual. Diet is everything between 50 - 90 procent of weightloss.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Is it challenging for you? Are you eating at a calorie deficit? If so, the gain is probably temporary water retention from the damage you are doing to your muscles. This is common with new exercise programs. It's especially an issue with new 30DSers doing the program every day. I actually would take an active recovery day once a week and walk instead of shredding if I were going to do it as a program in itself instead of as part of other rotations. That would make it more like a 34 day shred. Alternatively, I might at least take a rest day between levels to recover a little before the new challenge started.
  • stefizzle9109
    Options
    Oh yeah its challenging, im using in a sweat bath afterwards. I dont have THAT big of expectations. I knew you werent suppose to lose a whole lot of weight off the program, but I feel stronger, I was just expecting a few inches gone. Yeah, when I first started losing weight in October I only ate 1200 calories. Since then Ive upped my calories to 1500 or more a day. Ive plateaued which is why I gave 30DS a try. I also walk three days a week after doing the 30DS. I give myself 2 rest days on weekends.
  • LeellenMack
    Options

How is it going on level 2?
    I just finished level 1 - up 2lbs and no inches gone :sad:
    Tomorrow is a rest day and then level 2 on Tuesday with fingers crossed...
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and stick with it! Give it time. Your body is adjusting and weight will always fluctuate. Take your measurements at the very end of the 30 days. Its a great intro workout to get you in the habit of exercising.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    I think it is common to put some weight on, actually. As far as I can gather it has to do with the process of your muscles repairing itself and you retain more water. Not sure, some guru will no doubt be able to tell us more!

But certainly don't give up after a week. I think the results are undeniable, certainly one of the best I've ever done.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Try not to stress the scale... when I first did P90X, I saw no change the first 30 days... so I went to the camera instead of the scale... it wasn't great progress, but it was progress. I didn't see much scale movement until after 60 days and the most dramatic change until the end of the program. Rest assured, if you're getting the work done (both exercise and food), the change will come...
  • LeellenMack
    Options
    Thanks everyone, taking a deep breath and sticking it out :ohwell:
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself during the first couple of weeks after I start a new exercise routine. I wish I could recall the article, perhaps someone else here might, but a couple of weeks ago someone posted a wonderful article that explains why people actually gain weight after starting a new exercise routine, so you are not alone (and no, it is not from gaining muscle mass!). Stick it out. I did the 30DS and I will admit I didn't see great results weight wise, but I did have results in the shape of my body and muscle toning. But since my current goal is weight loss, I've shifted to mainly cardio by doing Zumba and Couch to 5K.
  • stefizzle9109
    Options
    Tomorrow will be Day 8 of Level 2. I skipped weighing myself this week. I have also started trying calorie cycling so hopefully I will see some results with that, but level 2 is very challenging! Just keep going, thats what I keep telling myself!
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Your body is probably just retaining water weight from starting a new exercise! In 2 weeks your body should be used to the new routine and the water weight should be down. (By the way, after reading many threads on the 30ds, I've noticed this is very common for this workout so don't freak out and be patient!) I just began the 30ds too so good luck for both of us!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - if you want to friend me and/or see my blog, you'll note that I'm having the same issues. My diet's pretty good - eating the right amount of cals (I think), have only taken a couple days off here and there, and yet: No real change that can be seen on the outside. I will admit that what I'm able to do now at L3 is more than what I would have been able to do at the beginning of L1, so there's been strength improvement, but it sure would be nice if I saw some exterior improvement as well.

I get ya, chica, I get ya.

:ohwell:
  • Valley83
    Valley83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing 30DS but Ripped in 30 and I found the same thing at first. I am now on week 4 and the scale has finally moved after going up 0.5 a pound and then staying the same for 3.5 weeks. I haven't taken progress measurements yet because I didn't want to be disappointed. I say stay with it for the full time and see results at the end rather than getting your hopes up as your doing it.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have just completed the 30DS a few days ago and in the first fortnight (10 days of the shred with 4 days rest) I gained 5.5lbs :sad:

However, during the final 10 days I shifted the 5.5 I had gained plus another 3.5lbs and at the end of the programme I had lost a whopping 8.5 inches overall and dropped a whole dress size plus a bit more (I went from a tight UK 14 to a lose UK 12).

It did take a while for me to see results, but I stuck with it. I might add that my stamina and strength have also improved dramatically and I have "lady bicpes" and no bingo wings now :happy: It also introduced me to taking regular exercise and I must admit I get "itchy" now if I take more than a single rest day :laugh: I will definitely incorporate a couple of shred or other JM days into my regular exercise regime from now on.

Good luck and I am sure you will be really pleased with your final results. Be warned, Level 2 I would say (and so do many others) is the hardest - OMG did I sweat and swear :noway:
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight with the 30 DS (maybe a pound or 2) but I lost inches. I also got much stronger. In the beginning, I couldn't do any push ups. Now I can. After finishing the shred, I moved on to Ripped in 30. I've only done it for 4 times but I really like it. I think I will drop a bunch of weight with this one - or so I hope.

Stick with it and keep watching your calories, sodium and increase your water. Good luck!