RUNNERS/Joggers/Walkers what do you USE?!

Options
...To track your runs/walks/jogs/skips..

I use the mapmyrun app on my phone...but it's not always completely reliable!

What do you use? How well does it work? Is it pricey?!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my first Garmin from Costco.. So excited! I used to use the mapmyrun, but like you said it was inaccurate a lot of the time. I used Nike +, but had some trouble with that too. I am excited to be able to see my pace/distance in real time, and be able to upload it!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. Very reliable, lots of statistics and totally free.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    x2 for Endomondo, but I don't use it when I'm running/walking. I use my Garmin Forerunner 110 for that. Then I input the stats into Endomondo cuz I like the charting it does.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been using the free version of runtastic for android. I'd say it's been pretty accurate, especially on the distance. I tracked it one day with my car and it was right. As far as the calories burned I don't use a heart rate monitor but I tend to do around a 10 minute mile so for every mile it's roughly 100 calories, give or take depending on your weight. I know they have a Pro version too but I haven't really found the need since the free version does everything I want it to do. It also has the option to switch from running, walking biking, etc. :smile:
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Endomondo or Runkeeper, both free on iPhone. I use Endomondo if I'm just going and don't care about pace. I use RunKeeper to keep up with the pace ever 1/4 mile. I'll also wear a HRM to keep up w/ HR and calories when I'm keeping a close eye on everything.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to use a timex watch, a car, and a spread sheet. Go running, time it. Later drive it to check the distance. Then do the math to get the paces. This was in the early 90s.

Up till a year ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and a spreadsheet. Same as before, but map with google maps. Better.

A year to a month or so ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and sportTracks. Even better.

Now I use a Garmin 405 and sportTracks. Garmin -> export to a TCX file -> import into ST. Slice the data anyway you want it. Want to see your pace for mile 4 of 7? Want to see how elevation gain effects pace? It's all there.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to use a timex watch, a car, and a spread sheet. Go running, time it. Later drive it to check the distance. Then do the math to get the paces. This was in the early 90s.

Up till a year ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and a spreadsheet. Same as before, but map with google maps. Better.

A year to a month or so ago, I used a timex watch, google maps, and sportTracks. Even better.

Now I use a Garmin 405 and sportTracks. Garmin -> export to a TCX file -> import into ST. Slice the data anyway you want it. Want to see your pace for mile 4 of 7? Want to see how elevation gain effects pace? It's all there.

ahh isn't technology great. I definately used to run, then come home and drive it! :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've tried Runkeeper, Endomondo and I even have a Garmin but I don't use any of them anymore. The Garmin was much more accurate and it even gave me elevation change. But these days I run just for the hell of it.
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you like your 405? That is the one that I just ordered-I read mixed reviews, however it seemed like the majority of people really liked it.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use my husbands Garmin forerunner for distance cos it just tracks with GPS.
    Also have a garmin that uses a footpod but its not as accurate but it tracks pace. I'm useless with holding a pace & find that this is good for that
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have smart phone, I map my runs/walks on mapmywalk on my computer. It's usually very close to the tracking my friends and hubby do on their smart phones, so it works for me. :happy:
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun but do it when I get home. I like the site a lot. The app def has its faults.
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    Garmin 405CX...LOVE IT!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I like toys and data - I use a Garmin with a built in HRM.
  • jenpeterson96
    jenpeterson96 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Garmin 405CX...LOVE IT!!!

DItto - I got mine for Mother's Day and have used it almost every day since then. I got the one with the HRM.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i just use the nike + gps app for my iphone...its not so great for treadmill use but spot on for outdoor running/walking...
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Runmeter. LOVE it.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use Nike +. The app on my iPhone hasn't been syncing lately, but I have it on my iPod and sync it through iTunes. I don't really care about tracking my course, so it works for what I need: milage, pace, time, and estimated calories burned.

Hopefully with the Nike + website update coming out soon, that the app on my iPhone will work again.
  • Sairyn
    Sairyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using Rundouble on my android, but that's because I'm working on the couch 2 3k program.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. Very reliable, lots of statistics and totally free.

I just started using this app in it is great , and free.