RUNNERS/Joggers/Walkers what do you USE?!

Options

Replies

• EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone. It seems to be very accurate in terms of calculating speed and distance etc. I've had it for a year or so now and also use it for hiking and cycling. You can also pair it with Blue HR or Polar H7. Haven't used this feature though.

I think it's a well rounded app for $3.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. Very reliable, lots of statistics and totally free.

I just started using this app in it is great , and free.

I downloaded this, but it just times me, I don't know how to get the distance, pace, or anything else from it?

Have you got GPS signal? It'll tell you, if so. I had a friend who I recommended it to last summer. She was saying for weeks it was just timing her, then realised eventually that she didn't have GPS on, so it was tracking her time but not her movement.
  • ronldjn
    ronldjn Posts: 3
    Options
    I have used Runkeeper for 3 years and love it. I would recommend this app to anyone and its free.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started out using the iMapMyRun app but I found it wasn't very accurate. Switched to Endomondo and looove it.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    i use runtastic on my blackberry. They have it for iphone and android too I think. It's like map my run but easier to use I think.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. Very reliable, lots of statistics and totally free.

I just started using this app in it is great , and free.

I downloaded this, but it just times me, I don't know how to get the distance, pace, or anything else from it?

Have you got GPS signal? It'll tell you, if so. I had a friend who I recommended it to last summer. She was saying for weeks it was just timing her, then realised eventually that she didn't have GPS on, so it was tracking her time but not her movement.

:blushing: thank-you
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+GPS on my iphone. Easy peasy!
  • vico1612
    vico1612 Posts: 18
    Options
    I use Walkmeter on Iphone and the Mrs has a Garmin 405 :laugh:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun.com but I don't have a smartphone so I just log it when I get back home. For time I have a stopwatch on my regular watch so I use that.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use Strava Running for Android. Love it! It gives your pace, calories burned and is a great motivator! Good luck!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo! I love it.

I've burned off 36 cheeseburgers so far and I've gone .007 around the world!! lol

My profile is here if anyone wants to add me (please do!) - http://www.endomondo.com/profile/4528969
    Hi!! I just joined and added you!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Both endomondo and run keeper are great, but neither work with my heart rate monitor, so I paid a couple of pounds for ismoothrun, which I absolutely love and it exports to run keeper and some other apps.
    ETA: if there's no GPS it uses the accelerometer on the phone, so you can even use it indoors if you like.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike+ Sportband and it has been surprisingly accurate even without calibrating it. Within 0.1 mile on almost all my walks and runs, but usually within 0.03 or 0.04 if any variance at all.

I don't like carrying my phone, and don't always use my iPod so the regular Nike+ made itself obsolete. And whenever I went out and wasn't listening to music, I couldn't track my walks/runs because I wasn't using the iPod. I know most people use their phones for music now, but I don't.

It's been fairly accurate with calories burned estimates, compared to my Polar, which was really surprising to me.

I had a Garmin GPS watch and it was super cool, but didn't work as a HRM when doing indoor workouts (on a treadmill or lifting weights or something). For $300 I wanted something that did everything.

So, when I want a HR reading and accurate calories burned during a workout I wear my trusty old (yep, like 6 years old) Polar and when I am just going out for a run and am OK with an estimate of calories (albeit very close) and want distance/time/pace, I use my Nike+ Sportband. Sometimes I get crazy and use both, lol!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun but do it when I get home. I like the site a lot. The app def has its faults.

This is how I do it, too. I really like the site.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper app on my android. Crazy accurate on my routes. Even when I turn around and go back for some reason. I love it. Only bad part.. it talks and tells you how you are doing every 5 mins and I haven't figure out how to turn it off..
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper app to track distance and what not but I recently bought a New Balance HRM at target and that is way more accurate.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper app on my android. Crazy accurate on my routes. Even when I turn around and go back for some reason. I love it. Only bad part.. it talks and tells you how you are doing every 5 mins and I haven't figure out how to turn it off..
    To turn off go to settings, audio cues and then time trigger. I like that it talks to you because that tells me if I am falling behind in distance compared to time.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use the MapMyRun app and I love it - but I noticed a few people have said it's not accurate or reliable - I'm just wondering why?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I use the nike+ sportwatch...incredibly accurate and the maps look great when it plays back your run...and you can track your run on iphone, too.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I ended up liking mapmyrun the best out of a few that I tried. I like their website with the new updates so I ended up going back to it after I went to Runmeter. I find it's pretty accurate.