**Non fitness**Chiweenie puppies?

Strobins05
Strobins05 Posts: 716
Daughter is interested but I have no knowledge of Chiweenie pups. Just wanting to know if anyone owns one or has interacted with one? Thanks:flowerforyou:

Replies

• vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    I "met" one but didn't really interact too much....It really depends on the age of your daughter and the temperment of the dog. Small dogs might be more likely to bite a small kid that gets too "handsy", but on the other hand if you get a young puppy you might be able to adequetly train it to not nip. So basically i'm not being very helpful lol sorry!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    "Baby" sat one..... she **** in the house, had anxiety issues and didnt like to listen when called to go out.... most of which is the owners fault.
  • Strobins05
    I "met" one but didn't really interact too much....It really depends on the age of your daughter and the temperment of the dog. Small dogs might be more likely to bite a small kid that gets too "handsy", but on the other hand if you get a young puppy you might be able to adequetly train it to not nip. So basically i'm not being very helpful lol sorry!
    ^^ Oh that's fine, I have contact a breeder and they will be getting some info to me later. I'm just curious I guess, LOL. Thank you!
  • I would be cautious of little dogs like that for a child unless you raise from a puppy.. they tend to nip at little kids...

Try a tea cup poodle... :)) they are sweet and they get about 7 lbs..
  • Strobins05
    "Baby" sat one..... she **** in the house, had anxiety issues and didnt like to listen when called to go out.... most of which is the owners fault.
    Awe, hate that for you. I believe these are seven weeks and are being trained. Hubby definitely would not allow us to have if not trained. But we are still considering and have not made a decision. Thanks!
  • Strobins05
    I would be cautious of little dogs like that for a child unless you raise from a puppy.. they tend to nip at little kids...

Try a tea cup poodle... :)) they are sweet and they get about 7 lbs..
    Ha, thanks Ang!
  • ...and just make sure if you are using a "breeder" make sure that they are NOT a puppy mill!!! They are abusing the animals and a lot of them are usually sickly dogs!!! If it's a good breeder they will let you see the Mother and Father and I would ask to see where the puppies were raised.... #thatsjustme...
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Awe, hate that for you. I believe these are seven weeks and are being trained. Hubby definitely would not allow us to have if not trained. But we are still considering and have not made a decision. Thanks!

Most breeders don't do much training (if any) with the pups. And believe me, it will not be house trained by the time you get it. My pup's 6 months old and is still not perfectly trained.
  • Strobins05

Most breeders don't do much training (if any) with the pups. And believe me, it will not be house trained by the time you get it. My pup's 6 months old and is still not perfectly trained.
    WOW, thanks for that tip!
  • Strobins05
    ...and just make sure if you are using a "breeder" make sure that they are NOT a puppy mill!!! They are abusing the animals and a lot of them are usually sickly dogs!!! If it's a good breeder they will let you see the Mother and Father and I would ask to see where the puppies were raised.... #thatsjustme...
    Oh no, these are real breeders, LOL.
  • EmCarroll1990

WOW, thanks for that tip!

Any time, babe. You should also take your pup to a puppy training course - a lot of owners choose not to simply because they're a small dog. But small dogs are usually the most aggressive.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    They can have anxiety issues which can cause them to nip or bark. Not all, but some. Because of the Dachshund in them, they might have issues with their back or joints, they can be very delicate. I agree w/ trying to train the dog through a program. Petsmart often has training classes for a reasonable fee, and you will get to socialize the dog with other dogs in the class...

Good luck.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    my best advice for any dog is: personality first. breed second. and also, let the dog pick the human.
  • EmCarroll1990
    They can have anxiety issues which can cause them to nip or bark. Not all, but some. Because of the Dachshund in them, they might have issues with their back or joints, they can be very delicate. I agree w/ trying to train the dog through a program. Petsmart often has training classes for a reasonable fee, and you will get to socialize the dog with other dogs in the class...

Good luck.

That's where my puppy is! We've taken him through the puppy course, intermediate and now advanced. He loves it.
  • EmCarroll1990
    my best advice for any dog is: personality first. breed second. and also, let the dog pick the human.

This! Stand back from the puppies when you go to choose and watch them. The best puppy picking advice I ever got was don't pick the pup that comes right up and is all crazy excited, and don't pick one that's shy and staying away, try to find one that is somewhere in the middle.

ETA: Sorry, I'm totally taking over your thread. I just get really excited when people are getting pets.
  • Strobins05

Good luck.
    Sounds great, thanks!
  • Strobins05

This! Stand back from the puppies when you go to choose and watch them. The best puppy picking advice I ever got was don't pick the pup that comes right up and is all crazy excited, and don't pick one that's shy and staying away, try to find one that is somewhere in the middle.

ETA: Sorry, I'm totally taking over your thread. I just get really excited when people are getting pets.
    oh that's fine. We all here love dogs :flowerforyou: Thank you both!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Okay my experience no I do not have a Chiweenie I have a Doberman miniature pincher. I used to have 2.

The male which is my baby and still with us we got when he was I believe 8weeks. We trained him which can be a good and bad thing. You can get him to do things your way but my baby now has a hard time walking on a leash and with other dogs he plays too much and pulls. But other than that he is very obedient. I have 2 boys and a 3 year old an never has he growled or bit anyone he is 7yrs now.

The female which I dont have any more we had recieved her when she was 1 or a little over. The people that had her I think abused her because she would pee as soon as someone got close to her and seem to have anxiety issues. The only one who could get near and not have an affect to her was my 2yr old and she would allow her to pick her up and play with her without any growling, bitting, barking or crying sometimes I had to ask my daughter to help me put her in the car and stuff. LOL!!

I think the behaviour of the dog depends on its environment that its borned, raised and the way that it is treated. I got my male from petco with papers and everything.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    ...and just make sure if you are using a "breeder" make sure that they are NOT a puppy mill!!! They are abusing the animals and a lot of them are usually sickly dogs!!! If it's a good breeder they will let you see the Mother and Father and I would ask to see where the puppies were raised.... #thatsjustme...
    Oh no, these are real breeders, LOL.

Puppy mils are "real breeders" too. Why not adopt one of the THOUSANDS of dogs that actually need homes rather than cause even more to be KILLED?

I get rescue dogs that have been fostered in homes and already know any behavorial issues they might have.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    We have a chiweenie jack russell mix...the mother is all chiweenie, and she has serious anxiety issues. Ours barks all the fracking time! She makes me crazy, and my daughter won't hear of giving her away, since that's her "baby".