**Non fitness**Chiweenie puppies?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've always known Dachshunds to be a bit temperamental, and Chihuahuas are just yippy! I'd definitely research a LOT before getting something that combines those two personalities! Then again…I had a pit bull that was the MOST awesome dog ever (and we all know how their reputations are), so you never know!!

Good luck Steph!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    At least walk through the local shelter and look into the eyes of some of the great dogs that are currently homeless before putting hundreds of $$ into the pockets of breeders. Please look into your heart to give a rescue pet a chance.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I had a pitbull too she was a red nose all white she would mix in with the snow in the winter. Loved her to death she was my first pup when we purchased our home I didnt want her at first because they scared me but I grew very fond of her and she played well with my boys
    I've always known Dachshunds to be a bit temperamental, and Chihuahuas are just yippy! I'd definitely research a LOT before getting something that combines those two personalities! Then again…I had a pit bull that was the MOST awesome dog ever (and we all know how their reputations are), so you never know!!

Good luck Steph!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    We have actually resuced dogs before but I'm just curious about this dog. The Breeders are local and live here in the same city. My daughter will be fifteen so I'm sure if we see behavior issues with any dog, we are able to retain it, LOL. Have not made any final decisions as of yet. Her bday is coming up so we figured to look around. Thank you all!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    At least walk through the local shelter and look into the eyes of some of the great dogs that are currently homeless before putting hundreds of $$ into the pockets of breeders. Please look into your heart to give a rescue pet a chance.

This.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I had a pitbull too she was a red nose all white she would mix in with the snow in the winter. Loved her to death she was my first pup when we purchased our home I didnt want her at first because they scared me but I grew very fond of her and she played well with my boys
    They can be such great dogs. Ours was my husbands dog when we met and I was really leery at first, but she absolutely won me over quickly. She didn't like kids though...hadn't been brought up around them and they irritated her. She was perfectly happy yo ignore any children that came over though...as long as they left her alone too. I think with most animals its all about how they're raised.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

Do try this. So many homes are needed for so many wonderful, wonderful dogs.

A "chiweenie" is a mutt, anyway.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    20081209-hot-dog.jpg
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Don't shop! Adopt!

Lets stop breeders in their tracks. Please always spay and Neuter your pets!
    Only 1 out of 9 pets find their forever home!
    Don't Shop..Adopt
    We are their voice!

Why buy when shelter animals DIE!?!?!?!

Have anice day and make the right decision ;)
  • HealthyEscape
    HealthyEscape Posts: 255
    Options
    Please please please visit your local shelter first. Take your daughter and husband with you and mingle with the dogs there. I know you will find the right one for you for way less than a breeders price. Plus, shelter pets come spayed/neutered! Give a dog a chance at their forever home.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    funny-dog-pictures-sneeze-loading-e.jpg

Alright... now having said that... I have a dachshund... and my parents own 3... so I can speak to at least half of the breed's temperament. Dachshunds are a very stubborn breed. They are sweet and loyal and have tons of personality, BUT you need to spend a lot of time socializing them. Actually this is true for all small dogs. You need to take the time to really introduce them to lots of dogs and people... otherwise they tend to be really yappy and aggressive. Small dogs have a tendency to react that way, because... well, they're small and everything's bigger than them. So if you have a small child, socialization is a huge factor. However, you can tell a dog's temperament when they're puppies. So... just make sure you don't get an anxious puppy... or it'll be 5 times more work.

Also, if you get one, get a boy. They are 100 times easier to train than girl dogs. Why? I have no idea. (At least when it comes to dachshunds) I love them, and I plan to always have dachshunds, but they are very stubborn. So they take a lot of work. Good luck!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I own a Chihuahua, I got her from a rescue group i found online (www.PetFinder.com) please consider this site, they can connect you to rescue groups in your area.

Keep in mind, I looked for a YEAR to find the dog I felt was the 'perfect one'. She is listed as a Chi-Mix, they weren't sure about the dad, but her mom was a long haired chihuahua. I have been asked if she is a chiweenie, since she is a little longer than most Chis, but she has long legs and looks more like a mini Italian greyhound, she's only 5½ lbs.

Yes, she yips at people she does not know, but she's so small, and didn't have the best experience at the dog park (other people would bring their dog aggressive dogs to the park :mad: ) Other then that, she is very sweet and quiet. She just wants to snuggle on the couch. House training was a snap (she could have picked up the routine from the other dog).

Only thing I can recommend is, DO NOT 'baby' him/her or treat him/her like a human, the dog will need rules just like a big dog, otherwise, s/he will turn into a nightmare when you have to give him/her medication or take them to the vet. Have LOTS of people come over to visit, and handle/pet him/her. (This is the vet tech part of me speaking)

Also keep in mind, if your daughter is 15 now, in a few years she may go off to college, and what will be the plans for the dog then?

Best of luck to you!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    To be honest, if you go to a breeder for a designer hybrid, you are paying way too much money for what is basically a mutt with a fancy name and there are already a ton of them in shelters looking for homes.

My little one is a pug/dauchshund cross I got from a rescue. I google it one day and he's apparently a designer hybrid and there was a whole page about "daugs" on the designer hybrid website.

I love George to death and he's very sweet, but I also spent about $1500 in behavioral therapy for him last year.

Dauchshunds are super stubborn, hard to potty train, and George has a personal vendetta against and thinks he can take on my neighbors great Dane, who is now the size of a pony and craps bigger than him
  • Strobins05
    Options
    20081209-hot-dog.jpg
    OMG so clever and funny! LOL
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Thanks for those who spoke of owning the Dachshund's, very informative. We will do our research but we are not too keen on the Chiweenie as a top choice as of now. Again, thank you all!:flowerforyou: