Advice and profile pics

Options
124»

Replies

• nicholettebell
    Options
    honestly i don't much MFP advice seriously, even the ones who've lost a lot of weight, power to them but i've been doing pretty good on my own. What works for one doesnt necessarily apply to me (ex: eating exercise calories)

I have to agree on this. I actually don't ask for any one's advice on how they did whatever here on MFP. I do my own research and have found what works for me and I continue to read up on nutrition and/or exercise. But if I did, I wouldn't base the validity of their advice on the way they looked.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Be honest...

Do you (even just internally) accept or reject someone's advice based on the person's body in their profile picture?

Are you less likely to take advice from someone who looks like they are struggling with their weight?

Not at all, everyone is shaped differently and in different stages in their progress, I myself was in horrible shape when I started and I like to think I had sound advice that people wanted to hear. I believe the same is true of other people.

Same here! ^^ Well said!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    No, I don't base it upon the picture at all, I base it on the content of what they're saying.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    no wonder I don't get a lot of FR, everybody probably thinks I'm fat because of my pic. :laugh:

I just happen to be one of those people that won't post pics of themselves on the 'net.

I'll support people, and accept FR, just make sure you send a message, FR without a message are creepy.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I accept them all and rarely send them out. everyone can give and receive encouragement. :smile:
  • Tanyawhite30
    Tanyawhite30 Posts: 473
    Options
    I'll add pretty much anybody...but I expect a message with the request...
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I don't think I base advice on the picture, but I do base advice on what I know the person's activities are. For example, there are a couple of runners on my FL and I creep the running threads they post in. It's good for me to see the advice they give and seek. I'm getting good specific info on running should I decide to start, and some good fitness advice in general.
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    not at all .. i have people at various stages of thier journey on my friends list... Advice... never reject advice ... sound wisdom is sound wisdom no matter WHERE Its coming from.. Half the things ive learned in life has come from times where ive kept my mouth shut and my ears open