I'm on a "bender" someone please stop me!

Options
I have been flawless ever since I started MFP but I spent last weekend with a friend and just let myself have what I wanted as I knew she would hate it if I was counting calories and I wanted to forget about my diet for a while. Since then I have been finding it so hard to exercise and today I have just been binge eating. I cant motivate myself to stop, I want to get back to the same mind set as before but I cant. I need some motivating words to help me get back on track...

Replies

• Alicemay24
    Alicemay24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    please
  • Helen6663
    Helen6663 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try completing your food diary for the next couple of days, in advance.
    Then you'll know exactly what you're having & when.

Try & focus on how hard you've worked so far & how easy it is to undo all that hard work.
    You don't want to end up back where you started, so you have to keep going with it!

Sorry that I can't be more help!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Uhm. Isn't your own desire to lose weight enough of a motivation?

I mean, what words do you want to hear? We can say all we want to you, but if YOU can't scrounge up the restraint and discipline to get back and keep on track, then what's the point?

You know what your problem is. You know what you have to do. Sometimes you just have to get off your *kitten* and do it.

Here's a motivational quote for you"

"NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS".
  • Alicemay24
    Options
    Thank you Helen, this helps alot, I will try what you have suggested.

stfurida, I know I am sounding pathetic but I am desperate today. I am usually a very self motivated person, the past couple of days have just been difficult for me and I feellike I need some support from people who know what this feels like. I appreciate your quote, it's a good one
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Think for a second how long it takes on the treadmill, cross trainer of whatever to burn one indulgent item you ate! I do this when I want to stop eating crap.

E.g to burn 2 chocolate hob-nob biscuits takes about 20mins on the cross trainer. I burn about 600 cals doing 45mins of a hard spin class. It takes no time at all to eat 600 cals, 45mins of hell to burn 600cals.........that's my motivation!!!!!1

HTH :-)
  • Alicemay24
    Options

If this were true there wouldnt be any overweight people anywhere would there?
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    And that's why we are here. Your few days off the wagon may have been a good thing to throw your body off. Now, it's ready to burn and jump start your weight loss again. But when I say now, I mean right NOW. If you keep it up, all benefits of this cycle are lost and you will undo your hard work.

Get moving, you will feel 100 times better I promise.
  • Alicemay24
    Options
    Think for a second how long it takes on the treadmill, cross trainer of whatever to burn one indulgent item you ate! I do this when I want to stop eating crap.

E.g to burn 2 chocolate hob-nob biscuits takes about 20mins on the cross trainer. I burn about 600 cals doing 45mins of a hard spin class. It takes no time at all to eat 600 cals, 45mins of hell to burn 600cals.........that's my motivation!!!!!1

HTH :-)

Nice point! thanks for this
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    when I feel a little outta control I step on the scale. Seeing that I gained a few pounds is just the shock I need to get back into action! Works for me!
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AliceMay, do not be discouraged by making some bad food choices in the past few days. Just refocus on your goal, and on using the tools you already have learned. And, most important, get back to your "good diet choices" right NOW, do NOT wait until tomorrow morning or next Monday or whatever.

Put on the brakes right this minute, and then put the good picture in your mind of how you are working towards your goal. Be in the present. Do well now. You can do it!!

Good luck! Get with it! :bigsmile:
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options

[/quote}

I agree with you Alicemay. Sometimes our own desire isn't enough. Once you start eating crap, it is hard to stop and sometimes you just need someone to almost slap you in the face and tell you to cop on or take the offending items out of your hand directly!!!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    LEAVE THE HOUSE. Go for a walk, go to the mall, hang out for a few hours at a bookstore. You need to break the binge. Even if you buy a pretzel at the mall, it's better than eating the equivalent of 10 pretzels at home.

If you can't be gone for a while, go get a latte or something, drink it slowly and then brush your teeth. With any luck this will signal you to stop eating.

Do something with your hands, get engrossed in something that will stop you from thinking about food, like a jigsaw puzzle.
  • blowsfire
    blowsfire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    you'll get back on track just forgive yourself and realize no one is perfect.:heart:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sometimes even the most motivated person can be sidetracked. I certainly know how that goes. For me, a binge like that is usually caused by some underlying emotion (for me it's usually about wanting to eat myself into invisibility). Sometimes I can reason with myself or switch my cravings back to something healthy, sometimes I have to figure what's causing it first, but play around with some things and see what works for you.

I don't know your situation or why you're eating, but I know you can find a way to get back on track.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    stop thinking and just do it to prove you really want this.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Some people prefer to stuff their faces though and not do anything about it.

At least you and the other people here have decided to. That's half the battle. But I really don't see any other ingredients for weight loss than commitment and discipline, because there WILL be discouragements and disappointments. And you just have to want it bad enough to do it.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't probably the best answer, but when I start binging it is hard to just stop. So I will take a diet pill/appetite supressant for 1-2 days and that seems to get me back on track. I am not one to take them often, but it does help me break my cycle.

You can do it!!!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Reset your ticker ....truthfully log.....force yourself to excercize at least once. U will get back on the wagon...but u have to want it.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been on a bender for about a month & I've been really struggling to get back on track.......one step at a time!
    As someone said at the beginning of this thread, log in advance, that's working for me. My goal is to have days under calorie again, I haven't had one yet in the last week but I'm getting closer every day & learning again how to say no to unhealthy food :)

You can do this, you've done it before! :D
  • woodmouse
    woodmouse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I challenge you to burn 500 calories today.

Don't diet but don't go to sleep until you've ran/swam/cycled or walked 500 calories off.

If you don't have a HRM then you'll need to run/swim/cycle or walk for at least an hour

YOU CAN DO IT! Let me know when you hit your target