Fears and phobias

Options

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    "Gephyrophobia-fear of bridges"

Oh, so, so me too!

I totally have a weird bridge thing. When I was little I spent ages puzzling about whether

a) I send a friend over the bridge first to prove its safe, or;

b) they do that and weaken it so I should go first
  • Smuterella
    Options
    a weird height related one...glass / see through stairs. I get really freaked out if I can see the lower floor through the stairs.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    a weird height related one...glass / see through stairs. I get really freaked out if I can see the lower floor through the stairs.

That's not weird. No normal person wants to walk on glass. (Or on staircases with gaps that are just a little too big. Or piers. Or.... )
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Fear: my kids getting terribly sick.
    Phobia: birds at my feet. Chickens, ducks at the lake, etc... I grew up on a farm and feeding them was part of my duties. They'd peck at my feet and hands. Gah! I'm getting all jumpy right now!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Well, a phobia is a fear...will try to seperate the two though lets see...

Phobia: clowns
    Fear: clowns.

That was easy lol

Okay, so I guess for most, a phobia is like an "irrational" fear, while fear itself is something that might actually cause you/yours real harm.

Sooo...Ill say
    Phobia: that my shoelaces will get untied and Ill trip over them
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Phobia: Needles. I dont just not like them... I have bitten a dentist, made a nurse bleed, and knocked over a tray stand thing. I have no idea what it is, but i will cry like a little girl, have such bad anxiety, that my viens collapse and it makes it hard to even get a freeking needle in.... I had to have an IV for a CAT scan once, and they had to strap my arms down (with my blessing days ahead). I dont know why but its been like that since i was little. THANK GOD for valium or id never get stuck. Funny thing is, its the injecting part, because im fine with piercings.

Horrible phobia: Injections, hypodermic needles, syringes. Having blood drawn. Sharp dental instruments. Basically any time I have to sit still while you stab/puncture me for no good reason.

However, I was OK with being pierced/tattooed. Thta's not the same, in my mind, at all.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I am terrified of heights. I guess that's a fear. Also, drowning, being set of fire (I guess any way I could die, technically?! lol) Phobia - bugs....especially if they're crawling around in my apartment! Ug!!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Balloons (the latex ones.. Yikes), aliens, the end of the world, and f*cking SPIDERS..

Someone made me watch videos like this: http://youtu.be/bRV4d9LCawU

I almost *kitten* my pants before bolting out of the room flailing my extremities and yelling. I don't know where the hell these people live that spiders the size of CATS get into their homes, but EFF THAT!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    fear--zombies
    phobia-claustro
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Spiders. I have issues with change so new situations or groups of people cause anxiety. I used to pass out from needles but worked on that. I used to freak out at the dentist but thanks to meditation I'm ok now. I have horrible night vision so I worry about axe murderers etc when I'm home alone at night. I used to have to have my clothes pegged up with the same colour pegs but thanks to seeing someone and support from friends it doesn't matter what pegs now, even different types. Oh and I'm head shy, especially with water.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    I wonder where the spider phobia came from? I mean, I fear anything with an exoskeleton. but I wonder why so many people fear spiders in particulr.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Well, a phobia is a fear...will try to seperate the two though lets see...

Phobia: clowns

That was easy lol

Okay, so I guess for most, a phobia is like an "irrational" fear, while fear itself is something that might actually cause you/yours real harm.

Sooo...Ill say
    Phobia: that my shoelaces will get untied and Ill trip over them

To me, a phobia is more extreme. Like, I don't like heights but a picture from a tall building doesn't freak me out like a photo of a spider does.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I wonder where the spider phobia came from? I mean, I fear anything with an exoskeleton. but I wonder why so many people fear spiders in particulr.

There's too many legs! I had one chase me in my basement. That f*cker got a whole can of hairspray. It didn't kill him, but his hair looked fabulous!
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Spiders! and anything else that crawls. I refuse to open my bedroom windows because a spider might crawl in. I don't park under trees...again, spiders, and every night before bed I check the corners of my room, behind doors, and the windows for spiders lol :noway:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    To me, a phobia is more extreme. Like, I don't like heights but a picture from a tall building doesn't freak me out like a photo of a spider does.

The reaction to a phobia definitely is...but thats why I said "irrational" I jest about it, but like...same for me, just seeing a photo of a clown will throw me into a panic attack. On some level, I know its not rational that something printed on a sheet of paper scares me so much, but that definitely doesnt change how I feel about it!!!!

But stuff that could possibly actually harm me, like when I got in a car accident or almost getting hit by a car...I was scared and upset but still, nothing close to my reaction towards clowns. No idea why!
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Grasshoppers. I fricken hate them!! I refuse to be in the same room as one and if my cat brings one in I scream like a girl and beg my dad to take it outside.

Also, death. That one brings on the hyperventilating like no other :frown:
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    grasshoppers and praying mantis completely freak me out, I can't even look at a picture of one.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    phobias: SNAKES

fears: afraid of being lonely when I get old. I don't have children and I married an older man.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    As much as I wish my cats could go outdoors there are some benefits. No dead birds and, oh boy, do they kill spiders quick.

One of them caught and ate a huge wasp the other day, tried to stop him but he didn't get stung. Super cat!
  • Smuterella
    Options
    phobias: SNAKES

fears: afraid of being lonely when I get old. I don't have children and I married an older man.

I get that honey, was with an older partner for a long time. 20 year age gap. plus my bfs dad just died and left his younger mother. all I can say is friends are important and keeping up with communications technology. this lady cant use a cellphone, not even for a call, it is that which separates her morh than anything. Kudos for seeing beyond age and falling in love.I admire it so much xxx