WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good noon-time everyone. :flowerforyou:

On the breakfast subject, my favorite thing is 1/2 chopped apple mixed with 10-12 walnut halves and 1/4 c non fat plain yogurt.

Made the Crustless Spinach Quiche this morning, here's the recipe :smile:

Note: I used 1/2 c 1% milk and 1/2 c non-fat plain yogurt instead of the 1 c fat-free half and half. Turned out great. Stirred the swiss cheese into the mixture rather than putting it on the bottom. Grated a small amount of mozzarella cheese on top.

2 pounds fresh spinach, rough-chopped
    * (or swiss chard with ribs removed, chopped and sauteed before adding chopped leaves)
    1 T margarine or butter (I use Smart Balance)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 8oz pkg fat free cream cheese, cut into chunks
    1 cup fat free half and half (or 1/2 c 1 % and 1/2 c non fat yogurt)
    3 large beaten eggs
    1/4 t. black pepper
    1/8 t. ground nutmeg
    1/2 t. salt if desired
    1 cup shredded "lite" Jarlsberg swiss cheese (I used the pre-sliced kind, 5 slices, diced, probably 1/2 c)

Heat butter over medium heat, add garlic and saute 1 minute. (If using chard stems, cover and cook 5 more minutes).
    Add coarsely chopped spinach or chard leaves and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring constantly until tender and most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add half and half, beaten eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well combined.

Spray a pie dish with cooking spray. Place the swiss cheese on the bottom (or stir it into the mixture). You can sprinkle a little extra swiss on top if desired, but the "lite" swiss doesn't melt very well and becomes rather tough. A bit of mozz works nicely.

Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees, until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle a few seasoned bread crumbs on top if desired.

134 calories for 1/8 quiche.
    8 carbs
    4 fiber
    5 fat
    383 sodium (without adding salt)
    510 potassium

Delicious. :love:

Must scoot off to the park, doggies are ready for their walk. It's not raining at the moment. :bigsmile:

Good day!
    jb
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi All!!!

Took a few days off of checking in and WOW!!!! Lots of post to read!!!

JB its nice to see your smiling face and you are beautiful!!!!!

Welcome and welcome back to all the new bees! I have a lot of posts to read!

Nothing new here...just enjoying my summer and having my daughter here till August! We like to go to the gym together...she really motivates me to do Ab work at the gym, thats the part I hat the most! And I motivate her to do free weights for her arms, thats what she hates the most so I guess we motivate each other :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Well still no news on the house paint and the lovely HOA :explode: grrrrr we are at a stand still
    But Im turning it over to DH and letting him deal with that issue! I get WAYYYYYY too emotional!

Sunday my DH, DD and DS and I went to my Aunts 90th surprise birthday party...now it is a bit dangerous to give a 90 year old a Surprise birthday party so we didn't yell surprise, we just sorta said "hi" as she came in the room and that surprised her enough :laugh: :laugh:

But it was really fun...my dad's 2 brothers were there (the only 2 brothers left out of 9) and they were telling stories and we were all laughing, really fun for my kids to see and hear where they come from. I don't live very near all my family and both my parents are gone and Im not close to my sister so it was really nice to get together with family and for my kids to be there!

Anyway, I hope you all have a great day and stay healthy!!!

Love
    Kat :heart: :heart:
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    WOW I can't believe it ! :huh: but it is true ,I read all the post for the week end ,and you all are a busy bunch! lol:laugh:
    well 1 week untill summer camp and I will be working in the hot kitchen but it will be so worth it helping and watching the kids for all the churchs in our assembly . they have a lot of activites ,arts and crafts, bible studys and a trip into the mountians , swimming and so much more . it is so rewarding to watch . I wont be able to check in unless I can sneek into town for a Mc donalds cafe. I don't think I will have to worrie to much about exercise, as I will be doing a lot of work and one of the ladies that I will be working with likes to walk every day so I have someone to walk with. :bigsmile:

I have redone my golds after reading all of your post, here is what I came up with
    1) do some kind of work out each day( except while at camp, I think I will be doing quite a lot of work there):noway:
    2) log on every day and count what I eat ( again not at camp no internet):ohwell:
    3) drink my water and for me this is a hard one.
    4) planks and counter or wall push up each morning to build up strength and incress time.:happy:

There are to many post to commit on all of them , so Welcome to all the new bees you will find a lot of help and friends here!

I am praying for those of you that have parents that are sick and for those that are taking care of them.
    I am happy to hear that some of you are feeling better and are moving around better.

Jb I love your profile photo, your hat and smiling face just makes me smile , it look like you are having fun!

and a big yahooo! to all of you that have lost pounds or met goals!

Thank you all for all the storys,the sharing of your time, the encouragement and support !
    have a wonderful evening!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

jb: thanks for the crustless quiche recipe...it sounds great and something to have on a weekend when we have guests!

Nancy: I usually alternate breakfasts between these 3:

-Steel cut Oatmeal with cinnamon & berries and walnuts
    -Greek yogurt with berries and walnuts (can you tell I like fruit?)
    -Omelet with 1 egg, 2 egg whites and a bit of spinach, shredded cheese & tomatoes along with toasted whole wheat muffin (I eat this when I have a busy morning and need something to hold me over until a later lunch...it works)

-When my DIL is here, I often eat peanut butter on an english muffin, since that's what she likes. She eats them with slices of strawberries on them and I like them with thin slices of a crisp apple! DGD always puts slices of banana on hers and calls it "A Pee-Nanna Sandwich"...but then, she is 3 years old.:love:

When I was growing up, my mother often toasted cheese toast for us to grab on our way out the door to wherever. My Mom still does this sometimes and she loves using sharp cheddar cheese and tops hers with plum jelly!

When our oldest son is here he cooks pancakes almost every morning for everyone. He adds blueberries when cooking them or serves them stacked with bananas between the layers and some warm maple syrup...not the healthiest way to start the morning though. I don't do well when I start with too many carbs...it makes me just crave them all day long:noway:

It's fun to see what different people in different areas of the world eat for breakfast though. When we lived in Thailand, the locals started the day with rice and little fish cooked in a pan. (That took getting used to smelling first thing in the day, I can tell you!:sick: )

Enough about FOOD for now. We are joining friends for dinner out at our favorite restaurant in town, so I have to "save" some calories. It will be a treat for me to get out of the kitchen...since DH's surgery, he hasn't wanted to go anywhere and I have even been making his lunches each day...something I don't normally do. I actually ran into one of his good friends in town last week and begged him to call and suggest the dinner out...I think it will do DH some good. His back is still very painful and it has been 6 weeks since his surgery. He sees the surgeon tomorrow, so I hope he can get some idea about a way, BESIDES pain pills, to get some relief. He is doing Physical therapy, but he comes back feeling worse, if anything. Wish that I could do something to help!

Chiclet: So good to hear from you! So sorry you were ill on your vacation, but I am so glad that you have a bit of help with your Mom. Take care of yourself and try to keep us posted with how you are! Your "friend" sounds like a keeper:flowerforyou:

Kat: Going to the gym with your daughter must be the best! Enjoy every second with her!

Take care, everyone! :heart: Kackie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Very fast fly by posting before bed. Had a super day at the nursing home - they had an old time music hall theme party and we took my dad along too. MIL enjoyed herself (although I think she ate far too much cream cake - I forsee a restless night for her). Twas great fun and on the way home we popped in to the cemetry and left a union flag for my mum who would have loved the festivity of it all - she was a real royalist.

Will catch up with the posts tomorrow.

G'night.
    Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Amanda your grandtwins are so cute! :happy:
  • Sousanna
    Sousanna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nice to read all your posts. I am inspired by all your breakfast ideas. Like a lot of others here, I provide support for my mum (83); and my son (29) and his partner who are both are living with mental illnesses – none of these live at my house, but I still end up with a lot of running around and support tasks for them. At home, I have my husband and two children (17 & 18) who also need my time and attention. I love my family to pieces and want to support them all. I have a wonderful life and feel very privileged in many ways, but sometimes it does catch up with me.

A big hug to all carers. :heart: We need to take care of ourselves and stay healthy so we can provide support for others. Well in my 50s now, I want to live a long life and enjoy my family.

TODAY’S CHALLENGE: My students have organized afternoon tea, and are bringing in home cooked caramel slices and lots of other yummy stuff.

GOAL: Just to have a cup of tea and not indulge.

COMMITMENT: I will report back in here tonight about how I met the challenge.

May not be until very late. I have an evening class, and then am attending a night club/restaurant to see my 17 yo son play bass guitar in his School Music Showcase.

Have a great day everyone!

13931339.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a long day but good. Arrived at my mums by 9am. She was sitting on her bed with the sun on her having her morning coffee. She likes all the windows and curtains open so I could see her as I walked up, so can everyone else in the complex and I think they envy her carefree ways. She insisted on making me my second breakfast, I had had porridge at 5.30am and was hungry already. Scrambled eggs, mushrooms, white bread toast with lashings of butter. Gotta eat your mums food no matter how old you are. It was great. We got a few jobs done around her place and then on to a train into the city by about 4pm. Samara met us and we started looking around a few fashion stores but realised it was too much for mum these days. So in for a manicure. 3 generations all in a row. Samara and I have been to this salon before a few times but not for some months yet we were remembered and the girls thought it was lovely to have us all there. All this time we had managed to stay in the under ground arcades, so were blissfully un aware of the rain pelting down outside. The severe weather was finally coming in. So lucky for us we missed it. We met my brother for dinner, and he and mum were thrilled to go to Jamie Olivers restaurant. Have you all heard of him. He is big in England and Australia I know that much. Probably New Zealand as well. He is also know as the Naked Chef. Not because he cooks naked but I think because he likes natural foods. He campaigns for better education in eating healthy. Goes into school canteens and tries to add vegetables. A battle. Mind you not so sure the food we chose last night was that healthy but gee it was good. All cooked fresh. It was Italian so i had to have the pasta. Not even going to try and guess the calories will just start afresh today. So i have stayed in the city overnight with Samara. She is still sleeping. I have her washing on and I am trying to be quiet. (not) I want her to wake up so we can have the whole day together. She has nothing on till 5.30pm. And thats when we will both attend an xtend barre class.

So many of us are carers. its nice to have others that understand, and you are right Sousanna, sometimes it just catches up with us, but we would never not do what we do.

Have a beautiful day everyone. Live well, eat well and just do it.

Cheers from Jenni, in Sydney Australia.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Skyecath – You asked about my root canal. I think the endodontist missed a nerve, as the tooth hurts a lot.:sad: I was supposed to get the buildup and crown from my regular dentist today, but I cancelled as I think the root canal need to be reworked. It is being looked at tomorrow. Hopefully he will find what went wrong. :ohwell:

I am too lazy to comment on anyone else tonight. We have a large an interesting bunch here and I enjoy reading what everyone is up to. :happy:

I am in full bore food preserving mode. I have right at 150 tomatoes in my kitchen at the moment and blanched and froze about 100 eggplant this afternoon. They are still producing like mad. The manure I added to the compost pile certainly helped the garden this year! :bigsmile:

What with fighting my allergies and this tooth I had a hard time getting to the gym today but I did it anyway. I usually enjoy my exercise time but it's not so much fun dizzy and fuzzy headed from allergy meds and still having the stuffiness. I need to find some new meds, as what I'm using isn't doing the job.

Just have to share that DGS finished his Eagle Scout project on Saturday and it was a rousing success. Now he just needs to write up the final report for the work and have his board of review and he will be done.

His project was building three portable bowling alleys for a local charity that works with the mentally and physically handicapped. He has really enjoyed Boy Scouts and has been in the program since kindergarten as a Tiger cub. He is in a very active troop and has shared a lot of adventures with these boys. Our son is an Eagle Scout too and obviously very proud of DGS too. Grandkids are so special – why do they have to grow up so quickly?!

There is a storm brewing so I will say goodnight before I lose my connection here.

Faye
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone. Today was a very invigorating day. Walked a 15 minute mile with a coworker at lunch time and walked for an hour (while listening to Adele on my MP3 player) after dinner. I finished my walk off by running up one side, walking briskly across and running down the other side of our septic mound, really got the heart pumping.:happy:
    :tongue: I had a very yummy and low calorie dinner. I made nacho salad with 7 tortilla chips, 1/2 cup taco meat (made with lean ground beef) 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese, 2 tbs sour cream, 3/4 cup sliced red, yellow and green peppers and 1 cup shredded lettuce. Only 480 calories and very YUMMY.:smile:

:smile: Did a midweek weigh in and have lost 5lbs in 5 days. I know it is probably fluids and won't continue this way BUT, I am happy to see the scale go down!

:smile: My goals for June are

:heart: Walk at lunch time instead of sitting in my office working while I eat.
    :heart: Drink 4 16 oz bottles of water every day
    :heart: Log my food every day
    :heart: Walk or do some kind of activity every evening
    :heart: Lose 10 lbs

:flowerforyou: Prayers for all of you ladies who are having health, family or parent issues.
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations for goals achieved
    :flowerforyou: For those of us who are struggling every day much love and ((((HUGS))))
    :drinker: Have a great Tuesday, Rose
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :huh: Can I and if I can, how do I, put my ticker on my Face Book page?
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :smile: A long read but I wanted to share it with you all.

When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a nursing home in North Platte, Nebraska, it was believed that he had nothing left of any value..

Later, when the nurses were going through his meager possessions, they found this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital. One nurse took her copy to Missouri .

The old man's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the St. Louis Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem.

And this little old man, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this 'anonymous' poem winging across the Internet.

Crabby Old Man

What do you see nurses? . . . . What do you see?
    What are you thinking . . . . . when you're looking at me?
    A crabby old man . . . .. . not very wise,
    Uncertain of habit . . . . . with faraway eyes?

Who dribbles his food . . . . . and makes no reply.
    When you say in a loud voice . . . . . 'I do wish you'd try!'
    Who seems not to notice . . . . . the things that you do.
    And forever is losing .. . . . . A sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not . . . . . lets you do as you will,
    With bathing and feeding . . . . The long day to fill?
    Is that what you're thinking? . . . . . Is that what you see?
    Then open your eyes, nurse . . . . . you're not looking at me.

I'll tell you who I am. . . . . . As I sit here so still,
    As I do at your bidding, . . . . . as I eat at your will.
    I'm a small child of Ten .. . . . . with a father and mother,
    Brothers and sisters . . . . . who love one another.

A young boy of Sixteen . . . . with wings on his feet.
    Dreaming that soon now . . . . . a lover he'll meet.
    A groom soon at Twenty . . . . .. my heart gives a leap.
    Remembering, the vows . . . . . that I promised to keep.

At Twenty-Five, now . . . . . I have young of my own.
    Who need me to guide . . . . . And a secure happy home.
    A man of Thirty . . . . . My young now grown fast,
    Bound to each other .. . . . . With ties that should last.

At Forty, my young sons . . .. . . have grown and are gone,
    But my woman's beside me . . . . . to see I don't mourn.
    At Fifty, once more, babies play 'round my knee,
    Again, we know children . . . . . My loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me . . . . . my wife is now dead.
    I look at the future . . . . . shudder with dread.
    For my young are all rearing . . . . . young of their own.
    And I think of the years . . . .. and the love that I've known.

I'm now an old man . . . . . and nature is cruel.
    Tis jest to make old age . . . . . look like a fool.
    The body, it crumbles .. . . . . grace and vigor, depart.
    There is now a stone . . . . where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass . . . . . a young guy still dwells,
    And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells.
    I remember the joys . . . . . I remember the pain
    And I'm loving and living . . . . . life over again.

I think of the years, all too few . . . . . gone too fast.
    And accept the stark fact . . . . that nothing can last.
    So open your eyes, people . . . . open and see.
    Not a crabby old man . . . Look closer . . . see ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within.
    We will all, one day, be there, too!

PLEASE SHARE THIS POEM

The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched.
    They must be felt by the heart
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for this, LaurelFisher, AKA Rose. I LOVE it.

:heart: :heart: Renny:heart::heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart: a quick hello and hugs to all before I go to bed :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:yawn: because I had time today to walk dogs, do weight training, work in the yard, and finish the transaction of exchanging vehicles, I have no time for the computer.:brokenheart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Ruth!

chicklet - so glad you checked in. We were getting worried. I'm so glad you and your guy got to get away. That is so important for you. So sorry you were so sick, what a time for that to happen! But glad your guy was there for you. He's definitely a keeper. Good for you putting your foot down with the hospital and telling them not to call you. Sometimes that's what you need to do. It's sad about your mother, but in some ways its probably for the best. For a long time now she hasn't had the will to go on.

I'm going to take that icing to the soup kitchen today, then go to a store that's closing -- there are certain things that I can only get there so I might stock up somewhat. Then play mahjongg, then bowling. We have the Mexican train tonight. I'll have a salmon patty before we go and then some nibbles while I'm there. That seems to work better. You know, my stomach still feels "yuk". Every time I even think about having some of that icing, I remember how bland it tastes and I don't want it.

Did a hour of a step DVD today. Tomorrow...water aerobics

Nancy - I did make all the veggies and then just froze the leftovers. Had the rest of the broccoli and cauliflower tonight. This morning I had a ground chicken breast for breakfast. Some days I have these chicken nuggets (sort of low cal and high in protein), steel cut oats, eggs, Kashi cereal, flax cereal, greek yogurt with honey

Went to Mexican train. I brought these shrimp tarts with me along with some cherries. We're losing one of our food stores so I went there to buy things that I can only get at that store. Got most everything except one thing. What I don't like is that now there is going to be less competition. Anyway, at Mexican Train I had grapes, cherries, the shrimp tarts, two meatballs, and 48oz of water. Thought I did pretty decently. Had a salmon cake along with veges before I left. We left early because we have these heaters on Craigslist and we were going to meet this one guy to sell them to him. We also have a few aquariums and a punching bag on there.

Welcome gwenafred, heniaY

Going to post then off to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    :huh: Can I and if I can, how do I, put my ticker on my Face Book page?
    Laurel, I think it can be done, but not certain, by following these steps:

1. Go to TOOLS up top on the blue tabs
    2. Click on WEIGHT LOSS TICKERS
    3. Click on GET CODE FOR YOUR TICKER
    4. Copy/Paste the HTML code onto your FB page.

Hope it works!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options

Rose what a lovely poem, it brought a tear to my eye!
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot. Thanks for the June thread Barbie.

Geri
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I finally got to onederland this morning! I am so happy!!!! Weighed in just under 200lbs at 199.6. I'm hoping to lose 40-50 more depending on how I look and feel! My next mini goal is to get to a BMI of under 30!

keep logging
    keep losing till I am slender
    try to exercise as my injury and disability will allow me!
    try to keep positive
    HitOnederlandJune52012.jpg
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hi all, :flowerforyou:

Dad is home. His heart is working at 10% but some say that is not bad for someone his age. The Dr. said he is a strong man. Thought it was a heart attack but it was atrial fibrillation. He had about 5 shocks within a week and the one that took him into the hospital was a big one. It he did not have his defibrillator in he would have been gone. Dr. gave him a strong med to keep his heart at a regular rhythm. It he has about episode he will have to go to Boston.they will have surgery. I hope not he has so many things against him.

But, we have him now and that is the important thing.

I am happy I am staying on track with my weight.

Just not eating as much. But eating as healthy as I can.

Thanks for all your support.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Kathy (plantlady)