WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I must say I really enjoy reading everyone's posts! Thanks everyone for welcoming me as a new member to your group.
    I hated logging my food on WW but think I don't mind this as much because it's so supportive.
    My biggest challenge is overcoming the pain that goes with severe osteoarthritis in order to stay actve.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the joint drink SUPPLE, that is supposedly one of the Arthritis Foundations sponsors, and if so, do you know anything good or bad about this drink? I have been thinking about trying this but want to do my homework first and learn more about it. Thanks!

Hope everyone has a fantastic Monday!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies ,
    hope you all are having a great day , I still have to catch up on all the treads for the week end but I just wanted to jump in and say a quick hello and let you know that i have not forgotten you!:happy:
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,216 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Another dreary, cool, rainy one here, and I can't eat anything until I go get some blood tests this morning. I am sure I'll be happy with cholesterol results (I had better be after all this hard work!!) but worry a bit about some low white blood cell counts that the doc is keeping an eye on and which has not been going in a good direction. Hopefully there will be some improvement this time. In any case, I feel fantastic so I must be totally healthy, right?

Kackie - sorry you have to go for jury duty, but wasn't trying on things that used to fit great? I have been doing that lately, and it is like having new clothes without the expense. Getting rid of the things we don't need any more also feels wonderful, doesn't it? Good planning for water and walking --

BBCat - glad the poodles and the hubby have you home!

Have a great one everybody. I'm just looking forward to brunch -- and exercising. I should go ride my horses this afternoon, but must get the whole strength routine done first -- then it's their turn!

liselyn
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :explode: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: Just lost my post, haven't time to do it all again, hope everyone is doing okay.

:flowerforyou: Welcome all the new comers

Still wearing my ped, we have a team in the Global Challenge again this year, so we'll be logging our steps until September, so far I am averaging 18,000 steps. Our team is called Strictly come walking.

Well I'd better move, this is not adding any steps on my ped sat here.

Bye for now
  • filady
    filady Posts: 12
    Options
    Here I am AGAIN, I can tell you how to lose weight a hundred different ways but I do not follow my own advice so I'm back with mfp because I know it works to log,log and log. My husbands ideal of helping me is baking a cake and eating it with lowfat cool whip so I need motivation NOW. My goal for June is to lose 5 lbs and start exercising on my bike. After 40 years of dieting I will be slimmer at 60. Thanks for a 50+ page
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    Just a quick bump. Keeping running history of mat minutes and steps to keep goal right up front. Look forward to the blanks dropping off!

5 pages already for June! Funny how there's never enought time on the weekends to get steps and matwork in, much less catch up on the posts. Here's as far as I got.

Laura "paper fairies" LOL!
    Nancy baking powder biscuits yummm!
    Faye thanks for the reminder to focus good things that have happened instead of focusing on being "stuck". You lifted my spirits.
    rpphilip you're right Barbie, JB and Fitz and now YOU make me think I'd like to try pushups and planks... can't believe I just typed those words, we'll see if the thought is really mother to the action.

Welcome newbies, hugs to all...now its time to get down on that mat.

Hugs,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    June: mat EVERY day. Average 10K steps/day. Let it be. Really.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!

matminutes:
    3=0 2=18 1=16 31=39 30=39 29=39 28=32 27=28 26= 25= 24= 23= 22= 21=10834 20=1837 19=10440 18=4583 17=11646 16=18349 15=17066 14= 13= 12= 11= 10= 09= 08=47 07= 06= 05= 04=

steps:
    3=5346 2=8311 1=9713 31=6155 30=11499 29=6186:embarassed: 28=2978:explode: 27=4088 26=5411 25=10053 24=4351:angry: 23=12155 22=8299:ohwell: 21=10834 20=1837:sad: 19=10440 18=4583:grumble: 17=11646 16=18349 15=17066 14=10677 13=2316:noway: 12=11167 11=8173:indifferent: 10=7642:embarassed: 09=11971 08= 07= 06= 05= 04=
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join again...until last week its been awhile since I've been on MFP. I've GOT to log food, simple as that. I have a desk job, so I don't burn many calories even though I'm consistant with exercise. I'm 51 yrs old, need to lose at least 40 lb. I'll check back in later with more info.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Kackie….I am planning my food ahead AND sticking to it for Today!! Love your profile picture!
    Sue…Welcome!
    Nancy…. What a weekend. Relay for Life is a wonderful event. Love your husband’s answers to the losing weight questions!
    Jenni…it was great reading your comments about the importance of exercise. I can spend too much time at the computer.
    Mary….Have a wonderful trip.
    Dianna and all new members…Welcome. What a great place this is!

Ready for the week ….I think. I have planned my food and am on my way to the gym and the market. My knee is still talking to me so my challenge will be to go gentle on the bike and then come home and do some upper body weights. I feel so stuck right now. Again, I realize that exercise/moving needs to be a part of my day.
    Have a great day,
    Sally
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What's that stuff falling out of the sky this morning? Must be nature's way of helping the gardeners of the world by doing the watering for them. :wink: Still, I'm placing my vote for sunshine, anytime now would be nice, Mother Nature. C'mon, let's have it before we all start to mold and grow webbed feet. :tongue:

Literally worked my fanny off again yesterday, weeding, digging and transplanting, mostly foxglove seedlings that'll bloom next year. I squeezed my "skinny" self behind the cedar bushes along the fence in order to pull about 25' of tall grass and weeds. Came out of there with cedar leaves stuck in my hair along with a few little spiders. :grumble: Not a pleasant chore but I'm glad to have gotten it done.

Took the dogs for a walk mid-morning, came home and made brunch, then continued weeding for a couple of hours until I just couldn't do any more. I felt weak and chilled, so I covered up with a blanket, put on an old movie and conked out on the couch for awhile. :yawn: I generally don't take naps but I didn't have a choice yesterday, body was simply worn out. I think I ate too little and did too much on Saturday.

Around 4:00 I drove down to the park with my terrier, stopping by the community garden where we grow our vegs and picked a boatload of spinach and sugar snap peas. Took a walk 'round the entire park, stopping at the river to toss the stick for my little dog-boy. He's nuts about the water. He was nuts, yesterday, period! :explode: He smelled some sort of critter under the shed, and when a terrier goes into "rat mode" there's not much you can do to change his tune. After many minutes of ear-piercing barking, he stands frozen solid in position awaiting "the kill". If you touch him or reach for his collar he gets insanely angry, baring teeth and growling like a 'lil demon :devil: . Hubby got the yard blower out and went around the shed trying to shoo out any homesteaders. No sign of rat nor mouse. I'm sure the hunt will continue today. :ohwell:

This morning I think I'll make a crustless spinach quiche. Eggs, lite swiss, fat free cream cheese, fat free half and half, 2 pounds of spinach, garlic, and a pinch of nutmeg. I'll try using 1% milk since I don't have the half and half. I'll see how it turns out.

Monday Monday :drinker: Let's all remember to plan what we eat and eat what we plan, drink lotsa water, and eat those Salad Sista salads for lunch!

Oh, Nancy, I think you'd love getting out riding your bike! :bigsmile:

And Barbara, I just read what you wrote about push-ups and planks :laugh: I'd like to say "try it, you'll like it", but it's not exactly what I'd call fun, lol. However, the results are astounding after a time! :love:

Kackie, jury duty, oh boy. :ohwell: Hopefully it won't last too long!

Good day, all! :smile:
    jb
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! I've been AWOL for too long. :ohwell: My new mantra is "Just do it!" When I don't want to get on the treadmill, I tell myself, "Just do it!" When I don't want to take time to track my food, I will tell myself, "Just do it!" I will lose weight if I just do what I should do throughout each day! :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Just a quick good morning ladies

I worked thru the weekend so I am taking today as a sick day. Not many steps taken this weekend but I did get a lot of work done.

Have a Magnificent Monday all,

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday – and on to another week. :happy:

I am working on an on-line course to qualify as a “Teacher Of English as a Second Language” TOESL – this week is English grammar. I have a pretty good grasp of grammar because I learned Spanish as a second language, I teach French as a second language and, well, I teach. The course work keeps me thinking and reconciles me some to the time I still have to spend sitting around.

I made a lovely a plum cake yesterday, inspired by Michelle, who can do all that baking and not eat it. As soon as it was cool I cut it into ten lunch size portions and packed it away in the fridge. Now I can’t eat any, because if I do I won’t have enough for lunches. Clever or what? :wink:

Liselyn, IBT syndrome? :sad: How did you do that? Can you still do squats, etc?

Renny, a trip to Holland sounds fantastic. :love:

Jenni, congratulations on your loss. You CAN do it!

Kackie, isn’t closet clearing fun? Well, perhaps not during, but after.

JB, I’ve missed your recipes. Can you send me the measures for the spinach quiche? My boys won’t eat it, but I think it sounds yummy.

Today I’ll put together a new workout and take myself to the gym to see how many calories I can burn. I must also check the schedule for aquafit classes – but that will wait for another two weeks until my foot is presentable.

Have a good day everyone, eat your greens!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Goals for June:
    At least 4 aqua fit classes - something new to shake up the routine.
    24 hours of exercise including weight training
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    Act the way I want to feel. Be kind.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,158 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I'd like to join in and I'm well over 50! I have been on MFP for about a month. I cannot believe how many categories and threads are on the message boards. Wow, I cannot even try to keep up. Anyway, my goals for June are: to login everyday (internet connection willing!), plan my eating each day (which is also difficult since I have to travel), and to get some type of exercise at least 3X a week.

I'm celiac with other food allergies and sensitivities, have fibro, and osteo arthritis. My thyroid has been totally removed. I use to be active and over the years I've torn up one ankle and both knees. Not whining, just explaining some obstacles I'm trying to overcome.

LOTS of weight to lose. I'm happy to find you. :-}
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I posted on 5/31 my goals and so far I am keeping to them. Thanks to my Fitbit , I am getting my steps in. This weekend my DH and I went to see some friends so I really had to plan my nutrition. While I ate things I normally wouldn't while on my diet, I am happy to say I kept in in moderation. Part of the motivation was knowing that when we got back to the hotel I would log everything into MFP. Made me cringe a little when I saw the calories start to add up but I did it. Mostly I was over by about 800 calories on Saturday, but I had increased steps so it balanced out.

Reading all the postings this morning is helping keep me motivated.

Denise
  • mom2boys75
    mom2boys75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone -- happy Monday (is that even a true statement??).

Wizzywig, I love your profile picture! A woman after my own heart -- a glass of white and a glass of red!

Kackie -- good luck with jury duty. I did that several years ago and actually found it very interesting -- just to learn more about how our legal system works. And, of course, I was the lone holdout on the jury decision when we did our first vote! LOL!

Ladies, I am so frustrated! I stayed either under or right at my calorie goal this weekend, plus I excercised my a@$ off -- and when I weighed myself this morning I actually gained a little weight. It just made me want to cry. Plus, I had pedicures with a few friends on Saturday and one of the women (who is the same age as me -- 55) is so thin it just made me dislike myself even more. She said she just doesn't have much of an appetite and doesn't eat much. Sigh ....... if only that would happen to me.

I just hate being a whiney baby, but this is so frustrating. If the scale had gone down just a little I would at least know the hard work over the weekend had been worth it. :cry: I could use any advice or kind words you can give me today.

Shirley
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Shirley, if you havent done alot of exersize in the past and you really went all out last week, you are probably retaining water from your muscles working to repair themselves. Also sodium is key to keeping water weight down. If I eat salty then I can gain up to 9 pounds in one week and lose it the next because it is just sweling. Keep up the good work and give it more than one week on track to see your progress. we cycle different weights thru out our months and it may be an up week and next week you could lose more than you thought possible. the key is patience. keep at it. dont give up and wait and see what happens.
  • mom2boys75
    mom2boys75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and info. I'm not new to exercise at all -- I've done a lot of the Beachbody DVD's (Slim in 6 series, P90X, Chalean Extreme), and have always tried to exercise at least 5 days a week. That said, I lost my wonderful mother in August and really had a setback in regard to eating healthy and exercising regularly so for the past month or so I've been trying to get back to a regular workout routine. Since my mom had osteoporosis, and I can also see it starting to affect my older sister, I decided I would start a new round of Chalean Extreme -- I love the program and I know the weights and strength training are a smart thing for someone my age. This weekend, I also supplemented with a 5-mile walk on Sunday. I think one of the things I really need to do is drink more water -- I work in an office and sometimes I get so busy that I just don't take the time to refill my glass.

I'll work on that this week and we'll see if that helps. I'm so glad I found this group!!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to mark my spot.

Have had computer problems this morning:grumble:

We are picking up #3 Son & DIL at the airport after work today:bigsmile:

Will have to read the weekend posts later. Did have a great weekend rode our bikes all three days and even had some extra walks in on some of the nature trails at the resevoir.

Have a great day all. Get in some good exercise, log your food and don't forget to drink your water:drinker: it really does make a difference.

Laura80111:smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome sjn, DeeDee SHarriss, filady (when is the baby due?), welcome back Connie, linder

rob_knitwit - welcome back! It's good to start with just one goal and then increase. At least for me, if I put too many goals in front of myself and then don't make them, I feel like such a failure. You can easily accomplish one goal. Next month it will probably be two, and then three, and so on. I need to log my food otherwise I get off track. I even log when I'm on vacation (when I can, that is)

bakz - that's awesome about your son, and you get to go with him, even more awesome. You've certainly come to the right place for motivation. Just check in every day and we'll be right there

yoyonomore - do you do hand quilting or machine quilting?

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today (Sun). Tomorrow...yoga and then the extremepump class.

kackie - I got called to jury duty once...no, it's jury SERVICE, not jury duty. Anyway, I went on Monday, called every day, and didn't have to go in any more that week. The bad thing was that I couldn't plan anything at all until the night before. At least I was able to get in most of my exercise that week! Now Vince was called just last week. He went in Tuesday (Mon was Memorial Day), when he called Tues night the message was that he didn't have to come in the rest of the week. Hope something like that happens for you.

The lady who is going to ice the train cake to take to Mexican Train this week is coming over tonight. I already made these pork chops, so I know that I can log them. I made a key lime pie (she's allergic to chocolate) that Vince will eat but I really don't want...I do have some cherries so maybe I'll have those. I have some red potatoes that I might roast. Since Vince will only eat corn and carrots, maybe I'll have that. Or I could make corn and some broccoli and cauliflower. What would you girls do? Make both?

Woke up early today so did 30 min of yoga. Going to the extreme pump class now but first going to buy gas. After the extremepump class I'm going to go by my hairdresser to get a bang trim. I called them Sat. and the gal told me that no one would be there because they've gone to the shore. I just can't believe that they'd close up the business because they've gone to the shore! My father owned his own business and there was just one day when he closed....the day of my mother's funeral. Now he did own a tavern so he was open on the holidays, those were actually some of his better days. Tomorrow I'll do a step DVD at home. Update: there was one gal there so I got my bangs cut. I also wanted to get the bananan butterscotch bread that I made for them out of my freezer so that I have room for something else.

liselyn - I don't like when I have to fast for a blood test, either. What I usually do is the night before is I put a small baggie of cereal in the car and maybe a muffin. Then right after the blood test, I sit in the car and have my breakfast...lol Good luck to you. Let us know the results. Believe it or not, to me the worst part is not being able to exercise, I really need to have something in my stomach. Exercise for me works best when I do it early in the day

Washed, waxed, and vacuumed out my car yesterday. Then came in to make the manicotti for Friday. Today I will probably clean the leather.

It was so nice last night, I really wish that I could watch the shows that I have on my DVR out on the porch. Oh well.....

welcome back doobiedoo!

Nancy - good going on the cake! I'm proud of you. To me, the best part of cleaning out your closet is that now you have room to buy new clothes! Shopping (as you know) works for me...lol

Used my mixer this morning and made a key lime pie. I'm not real crazy about key lime pie, but Vince likes it. I'll probably have some cherries for dessert tonight.

Going to post this before it gets too too long. Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Kackie, I have served on three juries. One of them lasted six weeks and was absolutely fascinating. The other two were shorter and not nearly so interesting, but it was a great change from regular life and I loved it and I loved being part of one of the systems that makes our country so great. If you are chosen for the jury, I hope it’s an interesting case. On the first case I served on, one of my fellow jurors was a young man who had been a student of mine when he was in third grade…..congrats on your closet cleaning….doesn’t it feel great?

:flowerforyou: Liselyn, fasting for a blood test is one of my least favorite things to do…I hope the results will be worth it….you are smart putting the strength routine ahead of your fun fitness activities…it’s raining here today so it will be easy for me to do the strength training because gardening will be out of the question.

:flowerforyou: Viv, I agree that sitting at the computer and logging steps don’t go well together.

:flowerforyou: Fitlady, we all know that husbands cannot be the needed support group for weight loss so that’s why we have each other on this thread…..keep checking in with us and we’ll cheer you on and give you helpful suggestions.

:flowerforyou: Barbara, if you can get down on the mat, then pushups and planks cannot be far behind.

:flowerforyou: Sally, if you’ve planned meals and are going to the gym then you’re not as stuck as you think you are. Remember, if you’re moving, you’re losing.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, your husband is a keeper…..what a great answer he had about your weight loss

:flowerforyou: Jb, we have some of your rain up here…..I’m sorry I didn’t work outside longer yesterday because the rains came this morning after I’d been out for only 10 minutes and it shows no sign of going away….I’ll be able to walk the dogs, though, because they don’t care.

:bigsmile: Doobiedoo, your new mantra (Just do it) sounds like one I heard recently and have put on my list (Do it now)……glad you are back.

:flowerforyou: Denise, congrats on logging all your food even when the numbers were daunting….it sounds like you find counting steps very motivating….me, too.

:flowerforyou: Shirley, do not be discouraged…..weight loss is not linear…..sometimes losses don’t show up right away…..just keep doing what you’re doing and continue to analyze what you are eating to be sure that it’s all healthy stuff and don’t miss any opportunity to be active.

:flowerforyou: Michele, I’d love to see a picture of your Mexican train cake.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to anyone who is new……something that helped me a lot was to find a supportive thread and show up there every day rather than popping in to a whole lot of different threads and not building any relationships.

:brokenheart: My weight was up this morning and I expect it will be few days before the after effects of restaurant Mexican food leave my body.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

June resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    *100 lunges a day
    * planks every day
    *strength training three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
    *come from a place of love