WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon everyone, I am a returning 50+ for those of you who are new, you have come to the most wonderful and supportive site. Thanks to Barbiecat I was able to find you all again. I just came in to have lunch and thought I would log in and mark the site for later. I am off to the movies with hubby . Everyone have a great afternoon, Rose
  • queencreekpj
    Options
    I am new to MFP, this seems like a great place to be for me. My goals for June would be
    exercise everyday
    track my food
    stay in touch on MFP
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Goal for June: check in with MFP and log food every day. I've updated my ticker to account for the weight gain. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,207 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Sporadic me, sitting at the computer on a rainy, sleepy Saturday afternoon. I always love catching up on everyone's news, even though it is a lot to take in! (calorie free, though, isn't it?)

Nancy, I am cracking up over your furtive lingerie shopping and great results. I tried to get some more exercise clothes and a bra today (everything is soaked with sweat and I am tired of doing laundry!) but only found the bra, so maybe this transit of Venus thing is having an effect on us. Now I have a grand total of 2 bras that fit, and I'm beginning to raid my daughter's left behind clothes. She's a gorgeous skinny thing and I'm thrilled that some of it fits!

Kackie - it resonates for me when you talk about better planning ahead and tracking. I have been good about tracking, no matter what, and find it is the best thing for keeping me on track. I even made cookies the other night after entering my food for the day, and did not taste even one smidge because my eating day was tracked, sent, and OVER. It was fun. Planning, on the other hand, is not my forte. So I try at least to enter food before eating it so that I know how it all comes out at the end.

Sue - you sound like you have had quite an ordeal! Your June goals are intense, and I hope you will feel just as good if you lose only a pound or two per week. One of the best things I have found through using this site is that the steady slow pounds feel good, and it's easier to stick with it for the long haul. I know it was easier to lose big when I was younger, but now it isn't so quick... Good work! Stick with MFP.

So, for June. I have found the challenge I was looking for and will aim for 100 miles or more between biking and walking. I am still suffering from leg pain and have to be careful, but between the miles and regular strength workout, horseback riding and physiotherapy I'm pretty active!

Goals: 100 miles walk and/or bike
    more water
    limit alcohol and eat the calories instead
    keep up strength routine - new version beginning next Wednesday

Hope everyone has a great weekend -

liselyn
  • NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Everyone. This looks like a good group for me to join. I have a few goals in mind but may have to come back and add more.

1. Log in everyday
    2. Concentrate and log my water.
    3. Stick to my eating plan. I've been so motivated for staying on plan and as of a weekend trip over Memorial day, I've slowly added some items that are not the best choices for me.
    4. MOVE..... I've been losing so good without exercise that I have not been motivated to start. Time to MOVE IT!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OK, for the record, one more story.

Talking to DH the other night, I was bragging a bit and teasing him a little to find out what he would say.

"Should I keep loosing weight?" I asked.

"Yes" he said.

"Why?" I asked? (Now, that's a question a man's got to consider very carefully, wouldn't you say?)

"Because it's making you happy!" he answered.

Have I got a good man, or what? :love:

I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!!!
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I am in for the month of June!!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Nancy, - new bras how nice. I am still not comfortable shopping for new anything. “ A fancy formal dinner – I will paint the toenails on my good foot in honour of the occasion! “ You are funny, this made me smile.:smile:

SallyCC - Hope your knee is not too bad. Wishing you all the best.:flowerforyou:

Barbiecat - Line dancing, the more I read about you ladies doing it I want to try it. And all day WOW that sounds like so much fun. Thanks also for keeping this thread going. So glad I found and joined in.:drinker:

Michelle – you are one busy lady. The cruise is 3 days out at sea. We just float/sail around for the time with no stops. Leave on the Friday 4pm and back in on the Monday at 7am. So excited. Out first cruise ever. I guess I should start thinking about what clothes I will need and maybe have to buy another an extra piece or two. Have no idea what to take. It’s winter sooo... Any suggestions anyone?

Kat – how stressful for you with the computer problems. Stress is not good for diets, and we go back to the comfort foods. Not to worry. The thing is you got through the day. Not sure what HOA stands for, but agree, deal with one issue at at a time.:flowerforyou:

Amanda – I hope you start getting decent weather soon. Skinny packs I like that idea. What do you usually put in them.

Kathy(plantlady) – Hope all goes as best it can with your dad. Sending you lots of love. :heart:

RebelRenny – yep when i have strange ‘diet’ dreams I think that maybe i have become a little obsessed. But rather be obsessed with my health then many other things.:laugh:

Its a cold and wet sunday morning here In Sydney. I have spent way to much time in front of the computer and its now time for me to move it. No outside walk for me today. but always so much I can do indoors, treadmill (in cold garage), stationary bike or one of the many exercise DVD's I now own. Hello to all the newbies, and sorry if i didn't get to comment on your post,I have read them, but exercise comes first. We all know that don't we. :tongue:

Make sure the first thing you do when you wake up is smile! It will instantly put you in a good mindset to take on the day ahead.:happy:

from Jenni in Sydney, Australia.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think that I will be able to post sporadically while I am gone on my trip, as some of the campgrounds that I have reserved have wifi. I'm off to post the birthday list - back soon! Mary
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Here is the birthday list. As always, if you aren't on here and want to be, just send me a message! Mary

50+ thread Birthdays
    January:
    5 – csally01
    6 – barmbord
    13 - Qpeace
    17 – grabbit97
    22 - celticmuse
    25 – zuback55
    28 - genealace
    29 - ritamerlot

February:
    2 – doobiedoo
    7 – 2youngatheart
    7 – jeqrosen
    9 – AHealthierSuzyQ
    15 - anotheryearolder

March:
    1 – auntiebk
    3 - arborsong
    4 - heartrw
    6 – jeanne3651
    7 – DebKRN
    7 - vypeters
    8 – pmjsmom
    8 - deb_rn
    8 – Cando055
    12 – glendaaus
    14 – cj1234cj23
    15 – joylaut
    20 - spaniel60
    21 – cjwil01
    25 – barbiecat
    26 - kilime50
    29 - deluda
    30 – BirdieM
    30 - Blissfuldrake
    31 – wizzywig

April:
    4 – Lyn54
    4 - frogmama
    8 – grandee47
    11 – smelliott
    11 – kel7298
    14 - ildi59
    15 – laporter62
    17 - Cindyw7
    22 – sceck

May:
    2 – gracete
    2 – janemartin02
    4 – chicletgirl21
    5 – Debma1010
    6 – smwert
    7 - walker001
    13 – lovediets
    13 – jberberian
    14 - myjourney2
    20 – mimi7grands
    23 - debieanne
    25 – jam0525
    25 – wehavethestars
    25 - sissygok
    26 – vickim26
    27 - rjadams
    30 – msh0530

June:
    3 - eotrg
    4 - Caminogirl
    4 - Shirley61
    8 - SueGeer
    12 – Ldspill
    13- tiarapants
    20 - fibrogirl
    23 - goldwingrider
    27 - Donna56
    29 - westernjoy
    30 - RebelRenny

July:
    3 - Iojoi
    7 – Lindaj07
    8 – BarbieCat1
    9 - yvonnemfp
    20 - TeresaSavage
    27 – mynyddisamrs
    31 - randylevy

August:
    7 – MacMadame
    15 - CathiAnne
    18 – bkrbabe57
    24 – cherubcrnp
    24 - Kckramp
    27 - corqueen

September:
    2 – Laura80111
    14 – ItsTerriC
    22 - gloriaandison

October:
    3 – shiddelson
    3 - katiejarr
    8 - djdreger
    15 – Jolandolfo
    21 – peepocheck
    21 - Pinecovers
    23 – rjnandjosh

November:
    11 – kackie
    15 - brunsda
    19 - Benson
    30 – SallyCC
    30 – topaz2986

December:
    6 – cucoyannie
    24 – frogmama
    30 – caharleygirl
  • Skyecath
    Skyecath Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I've been so busy this last few days, I have been logging my food but haven't had time to post.

Having been away last weekend we're now back on Skye and I've had to work every day to get my hours in. It's been lovely and sunny but a chilly wind has been blowing in from te north.

Faye, how did it go at the dentist with your root filling?

Michelle, I had a similar experience with a mask when I was young, they had to hold my down and ever since haven't beenable to stand anything over my face

AlwaysNancy,my microwave will be 30 years old at Christmas!

Nancy, so glad you're getting there, take care not to over do it

Laura, have you thought about renting out your parents house, it would give you an income for now and maybe the market may pick up for selling it in a few years.

Kat, yay - well done on the 8 push ups

Katy, sorry to hear about your Dad, thinking of you

Hello to everyone else, I've had to flick through all the posts there are that many.

Cath x
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sousanna
    Sousanna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi All from Australia. Last month didn't go to plan for me, so I am in need of motivation and support. I also enjoy motivating and supporting others.

My goal for June is to lose 4 kgs (8.8 lbs). I believe in losing weight slowly and wouldn't normally aim that high, but I have just stacked on a couple of kilos, so should be able to get those off quickly.

My main motivation at the moment is that I will be going on a holiday to Canada (Montreal and Halifax) at the end of the month, and want to be feeling healthy, and especially up to the long flying time. My husband and two younger children (18 & 17) are also going on the trip with me.

Hope everyone has a great June. :smile:

13931339.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • GiGi0004
    GiGi0004 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I would like to join your group. I will be 52 in July. I did WW several years ago and lost 37 lbs. and had a very good support group on-line with them for years. I have gained the weight back over the last couple of years and I can't seem to get back into doing WW so I found this site and have been using it for about 3 weeks. I have lost a few lbs since I started but it is going slow. My goals for June: elliptical 5-6 days a week for 30 mins or longer, be able to do the 30 minute dvd kettlebell exercises, drink lots of water, stay between 1200-1500 calories a day (I might should stay at 1200 not sure)

Can I ask how many are in this group? It looks like a large group or maybe it is just everyone is posting alot and that is great. I look forward to getting to know you.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Hi,

I'm doing this for the first time. I've lost 109 lbs and hope to make it to onderland this weekend (0.7 lbs to go). I'm 52 and had lap band surgery 9/20/11. It's helped me a lot but there is still a lot of hard work that goes into it. I've been overweight to obese (morbidly obese) pretty much my entire life. I have had periods where I have lost weight and been normal BMI but soon regained. I am disabled with an neurodegenerative illness and while I can walk some (balance issues make me fall), I have to use a wheelchair to get around outside of the house. I recently fell and suffered a costochondral separation (rib separation) so my exercise is very limited now. I can use all the supportive and nice friends that I can get on here!
    I'm hoping to exercise on my recumbent stationary bike 20 minutes a day
    continue reading the 17 day diet book
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Went for a "walk" with DD (and grandson in stroller) that turned into quite the hike. Man, oh man (or woman for that matter) an hour and a half later of up and down trails....:noway: :noway: :noway:

the reason why this was soooo enjoyable was because of my DD and lil grandson!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Eureka...that's the secret...do an activity because you enjoy it. I need more of that.

Renny:heart::heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Kate - you have awesome goals. You can do it, of that I'm sure.

welcome kathyszoo, gill_L, Sue, carefulkate, Mary. queencreekpj, NEgirl, milove and diana

Kathy - You and your family are in my prayers, especially your father

jb - most of the time I snack during the day. Sometimes I think it's more out of boredom than anything else. But I know that that also helps to keep your blood sugar up. Now Vince only eats when he's truly hungry.

chrisfarmer - congrats on quitting smoking. That's one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Did an hour of yoga today, then stopped at this one store on my way home (unfortunately, I forgot to get cottage cheese for the manicotti that I want to make for Friday), came home and baked a cake (BTW-the new beater is wonderful. Things got mixed quite well. I'm very happy with it) Tomorrow I'll do an hour of balance games on the Wii

Nancy - WTG girl on buying those bras!!! What a wonderful guy you have there!

Rebel - what works for me is to log every bite that I eat. It doesn't work for me to eat (carbs especially) at night.

welcome back Rose! We missed you.

liselyn - oh to be able to make cookies and not have a taste! I made some butterscotch oatmeal cookies for the gal who is going to ice the cake for me for Mexican train. She just told me that she'll come by Mon. Anyway, I HAD to try some of the cookie dough. BTW - I'm absolutely loving this new beater on the KitchaenAid. hopefully, the novelty will wear off, but in the meantime I'm just loving it. Just wish there was a way that I can put the beater to the side and then add the ingredients. But oh well.....

Jenni - HOA = Homeowners Association. Some can be real "mini-Nazi's" and others very laid back. Or you can get one in the middle.

diana - I don't know how many are "officially" in this group, many times people are here for a while then have to take a hiatus for one reason or another and then come back.

banded - you've certainly been dealt a handful! Looking forward to "talking" with you more. You've come to the right place for motivation.

Better take a shower then get to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,207 Member
    Options
    Twice in one day! I have to stay up extra late to pick up my son after an outing, so here I am staying awake!

Sousanna - I just read that you and your family are coming to Montreal! I live quite far out of town, but work there and would be glad to give you some ideas and maybe meet while you are there. Let me know, ok?

I also just had the nice experience of having enough calories "left over" at the end of the day to have a snack to get me through this extra long evening. Fresh strawberries and blueberries in some nonfat plain yogurt -- mmm. Felt good to eat this late!

Banded -- oof! I had a costochondral infection and it was horrible - a separation must have been brutal. I hope it's feeling better. Good work to get so far!

Michele - just lower the beaters into the water. go ahead, no need to lick them first, you can do it... :laugh:

have a great night all -

liselyn
  • sjn0623
    sjn0623 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi All, I am new to MFP and would love to participate in your discussion for mutual support and encouragement.

My June Resolutions:
    Drink 8 glasses of water per day
    Walk 5-6 days a week

Have a healthy June!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am trying the "Eat more, 2 weigh less". I upped my calories almost a week now, while keeping my net carbs around 100 and have not gained, in fact I lost a pound. It is so great to eat more. I am eating about 1800 calories now instead of 1300-1500!

Eating all those exercise calories does help.