When do you eat last before you go to bed?

Options
I TRY so hard to stop eating a few hours before bed, but it seems like no matter how healthy the day is, I'm FAMISHED in the later evening. I've even made a point to try & stay up an hour later than normal to avoid the "eating right before bed" problem. Does anyone else make a point to NOT eat after a certain time? Does it REALLY make a difference? I've heard it does, & I've heard not so much....if I believed everything I read, I wouldn't believe anything! LOL! TODAY I didn't eat before bed, which is where I am going now! Goodnight MFP! :)

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Our bodies have no idea what time of day it is...so, I eat when I'm hungry. If that means right before bed, so be it. It's never effected me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Our bodies have no idea what time of day it is...so, I eat when I'm hungry. If that means right before bed, so be it. It's never effected me.

^^this
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Whenever. I always eat something after dinner. I don't have a "cutoff time"
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I have the same problem..i just want to eat late. Like just about 45mins ago I ate some tuna and crackers haha.. I tried to stay healthy about it. I also read that it doesn't matter what time of the day you eat when it comes to weight loss.. ( it is arguable about metabolism function and stuff when you are sleeping though..)

But, I do think about how i shouldn't eat late ( even though i'm not sure if it will do anything xD; ). I try to brush my teeth a couple hours after dinner or something and the freshness makes me not want to eat ( ..but oral hygiene is another bad habit of mine when i'm not going to go see anyone or anything...i'm gross haha.)

but yea..try drinking water or brushing your teeth :)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole bag of popcorn every night around 10pm...tonight was 11pm though. I actually log my popcorn when I wake up so that I can figure out my day around it. I find if I don't do that I am constantly snacking on something. It is like part of my day/night now.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat right before bed, and sometimes I don't. As said, I just eat when I'm hungry. However, since I've been drinking so much water, my appetite has been suppressed. If you're worried about eating before bed too frequently, just try to limit how much you eat. Instead of having a plate of food before bed, find something snack-sized to tide you over. If you normally eat something snack-sized, try having half of that with a tall glass of water.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I eat literally straight before bed... sometimes in bed :blushing:

It makes no difference if you eat late, as long as you've planned it so you have the cals up your sleeve.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to bed on a full stomach, so 8pm is generally the latest I'll eat (I go to bed around midnight). Tonight I didn't get home from work till almost 9pm so I had a small meal since morning is a long time away.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I workout late, so I end up eating late most nights to make up enough calories to net my BMR at least. But I have certain go-to's to make up those calories with calcium and/or protein in them (protein shake, kefir, peanut butter).

I eat when I'm hungry... period.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I had a great reply all ready to go... then I realised you said 'what', not 'who'.

:bigsmile:
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I eat a whole bag of popcorn every night around 10pm...tonight was 11pm though. I actually log my popcorn when I wake up so that I can figure out my day around it. I find if I don't do that I am constantly snacking on something. It is like part of my day/night now.

I have done this too. When I first started trying to lose weight, I cut out my night snack. It ended up derailing me. I finally realized it wasn't worthy cutting out...so I made room for it in my plan and never looked back.

I think if it's mindless eating, then yea, try to watch it. If its because you're depriving yourself during the day, plan your days better. If its because you like a nightly snack, make room for it and enjoy it :)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cutoff time either. I just eat when I'm hungry and I get hungry late at night a lot. Right now, I just finished a 100 cal popchips bag with salsa and I will be sleeping in a few mins. Sometimes I eat French baguette slices with hummus or maybe other leftovers from dinner. I really don't think it matters how many hours you eat before sleeping if you have calories left.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Protein...usually a half hour or so before. Drank while I down a couple ZMA capsules.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hrs from when I get up til 3 hrs b4 bed. Chalene Johnson says that ur body thinks it's starving if u dont feed that often & it's harder to lose weight. I'm guessing a lot of ppl don't do this & have lost weight fine. But she's like a fitness guru. I love all her programs & I trust her. She's looked good & kept for quite a while. She must b doin something right huh? lol
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I have to stop eating a few hours before bed or I have nightmares...
  • alsaso
    alsaso Posts: 1
    Options
    i am a female 5,7 ft
    112 lb
    i always eat right when im in bed before i sleep cz im hungry most of the nights at this time
    for example i just had 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds,and 30 pistachios also one kiwi fresh fruit
    i believe that eating something light will aid ur sleep and wont make u fat
    just make sure no fried food or heavy meals before bed
    have a good one
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when people stay up too late, their body sends them hungry signals. If that's what's happening, the solution is to just go to bed without eating anything. Other than that, eating before bed is only a problem if you are prone to heartburn.

I personally like to end my night with a glass of milk and a bowl of homemade popcorn.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after dinner. I'm not hungry at night. I could even skip dinner, no problem. Just don't get in my way at breakfast time, lol.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I usually stop eating from 5-6:30 PM at night. I'll maybe have something small, like fruit after that. My sports practice is from 7:30-9:30 at night, so I usually get home by 10 pm. I don't know why but I'm never hungry right after exercise... and at night, when I do get hungry, I'm already asleep :p
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    10pm.
    Then I eat again at 2pm.
    Simple!