When do you eat last before you go to bed?

Options

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    about 30 min before i go to sleep.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I usually suck down a chocolate-peanut butter shake before I head off to bed.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have dinner about 6-7 and thats it.
    this week I decided to have a healthy snack (didn't log it) a couple of times, one night 2 rice cakes with peanut butter, another 1 egg/2egg white omelette. and I didn't lose. it was the snacks even though they were healthy.
    so not doing that anymore. its amazing how little you have to eat just to make a difference between losing and not losing.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    9 or 10pm and I eat again at 1 or 2pm. Love it.

1pm to 9pm is my typical feeding window too. I love IF -- massive dinners rock!
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have dinner about 6-7 and thats it.
    this week I decided to have a healthy snack (didn't log it) a couple of times, one night 2 rice cakes with peanut butter, another 1 egg/2egg white omelette. and I didn't lose. it was the snacks even though they were healthy.

Are you implying if you'd eaten those EXACT same snacks BEFORE dinner you would have lost ? If so can you explain why ?
  • Angela9559
    Angela9559 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I never eat after 7pm..........its my #1 rule
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    Our bodies have no idea what time of day it is...so, I eat when I'm hungry. If that means right before bed, so be it. It's never effected me.

I work overnights trust me our bodies know what time it is lol...

But just in general our bodies is on a continual cycle of burning, digesting etc so as far as knowing it 9 pm and saying its too late I'm holding in to this lmao no..but because its so late if you're looking for the scale to move I don't think it will cause the bodys still cycling/processing when you wake up...

In the past I have found that not eating after 9 was benificial only because your body usually burns less while you're sleeping, if you weigh in the morning your body has been processing everything so you usually weigh less.. plus less cals usually equals less weight..

But I try and not eat before bed.. and I obviously see no difference because I'm on such a ridged plan the 100-200 cals whether included or not, make no difference... so rather I eat or not same result...

My biggest concern is waking up in the middle of the night..... and I'm starving!!!!!! I don't eat then cause I don't want my first meal to be at 3am, 4am that's the toughest for me... especially if its multiple times a night...

I'm on a break from work... I really thought the weight would fall off me cause literally working overnights your body never gets a chance to just process the food... id eat at 7 am, 12pm 8pm 3 am it was this never ending cycle of food and straving and trying to go to bed when you get off work but you're just starving... in that sense I can see the statement our bodies don't know what time it is...overnights just fuggs up your internal clocks or sensors in every way, you never get a break your bodies like its been 5 hr I'm ready for food again I don't care if its 7am its time to eat.... ughhhhhh ....sorry vent over lol..
  • maariabodi123
    Options
    haha good on you ,i hate all this not eating before a certain time ,drives me crazy cause im always feeling hungry
  • maariabodi123
    Options
    I have to stop eating a few hours before bed or I have nightmares...

NIGHTMARES???? about what , food?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I TRY so hard to stop eating a few hours before bed, but it seems like no matter how healthy the day is, I'm FAMISHED in the later evening. I've even made a point to try & stay up an hour later than normal to avoid the "eating right before bed" problem. Does anyone else make a point to NOT eat after a certain time? Does it REALLY make a difference? I've heard it does, & I've heard not so much....if I believed everything I read, I wouldn't believe anything! LOL! TODAY I didn't eat before bed, which is where I am going now! Goodnight MFP! :)

I eat 70% of my cals before bed, like literally cooking and eating while in bed. Then I sleep like a baby. F going to sleep hungry.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I usually get hungry about an hour before bed, so that's when I eat last. I tend to be pretty heavy on the calories in the evening because I cannot sleep if I'm hungry at all.
  • wendimlee
    wendimlee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pretty late (about an hour before I go to bed) recently because of a medication I've started taking. I save half of my dinner, and eat it then. It thought it might make me feel full or bloated during the night, but I'm fine and ready for breakfast in the morning.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Usually 10pm.

Why do so many people think their bodies just shut down when they go to sleep? Your metabolism and digestion work just fine while you are sleeping.

The only reason to worry about eating late is if you have acid reflux, or you are just somehow uncomfortable being full when you sleep (or nightmares... yikes).

If the calories fit, eat them any time you want. Don't make your weight loss goals more difficult than they have to be.
  • madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will snack right up until an hour before bed, but it will only be a couple of slices of ham, a crispbread and cream cheese or low fat hot chocolate if I am having a sweet tooth craving.

Just don't eat a 3 course dinner and keep within your daily allowance. If your regularly want a snack make sure you allow 100 calories for it.
  • HopeAttack
    Options
    Hi! I never eat after 8:00. If you eat right before you go to bed your food sits in your stomach all night and doesn't digest fast enough so it stores more fat. Also, if you are hungry right before bed, drink some green tea. It helps so much!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that's rather personal,
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I like to eat and immediately go to bed. Nothing like the itus.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, just stick to your calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I usually have desert around 9:00. So that's like 1/4 cup of ice cream and some cashews. I go to bed somewhere between 11 and 1.

It won't kill you to eat later if you're hungry and are within your calories. Sounds like you are just at a low blood sugar cycle then.
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to always get cravings late at night. Hot drinks like tea help massively, and if I still feel hungry after drinking lots of water and tea, I have something small and healthy. It takes time to break a habit.