Calories in the leftover unpopped popcorn kernels?

Options
A bag of the popcorn I was eating tonight potentially has 325 calories in it. But once I got to the bottom of the bowl, I thought, "Do the nutrition facts account for there being kernels left unpopped, or do they assume I'll eat every single one?" Because if they don't take that into consideration, I can subtract more than a tablespoon's worth of unpopped popcorn calories from my count, if not, I can only subtract the kernels that my dad pilfered from the bowl. :tongue: Help?

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Better eat them all or else the nutritional value will be off :devil:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You're worried about a tbsp of unpopped kernels? Just log it for what it was supposed to be and assume it evens out some place else where you probably under estimated food or over estimated exercise.
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have wondered about that too!

I use the 100 calorie bags or measure the amount for 100 calories into the air popper.

I usually do just keep the count but no harm in wondering!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You're worried about a tbsp of unpopped kernels? Just log it for what it was supposed to be and assume it evens out some place else where you probably under estimated food or over estimated exercise.

^^this!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Do you take off the cals for the sauce left on your plate/dripped on your shirt too? :laugh:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Do you take off the cals for the sauce left on your plate/dripped on your shirt too? :laugh:
    This... Win
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just count them all and be done with it. Better to overestimate than under...
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    ocd_o_191508.jpg&sa=X&ei=DmWKUJehIeTAyAHL_4GwAg&ved=0CAsQ8wc4Dw&usg=AFQjCNHE2i9mjtjxKcdzPkZ1q3EgammSgA
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do you worry about the undigested sweetcorn?
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)

Seriously? I can't believe people actually do this :noway:
  • OnionGirl7
    Options
    I love this it's so funny, thank you :)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Wow. I seriously do not even know what to say. This is a level of obsession that feel highly unnecessary. I'd rather have this:

82894449361432055_GVSydowh_c.jpg
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    edit: double post
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Don't become that obsessed

Also, the popcorn that I usually buy has the facts for the unpopped kernels and each popped cup. What about yours?
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Y'all are kinda onry (how the hell do you spell that anyways?) for it being a Friday morning - funny, but onry.

I like what another said - assume you've over/under estimated somewhere else and move along :)

Or, you can be like my frugal coworker and try to pop those kernels again...
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If it's flavored popcorn, and I'm assuming it is if it's 300+ calories a bag, than most of the calories are coming from the flavoring, not the popcorn. And the flavoring is in the bag, not in the kernels, so you are eating nearly all of that anyway. The calories in a teaspoon of unpopped kernels is roughly 17 calories. I did the math for you.

Do yourself a favor, don't worry about 17 calories one way or the other. Calorie counts, even if you weigh everything down to the gram are likely to be off by at least that much anyway. Legally, calorie information listed on packaged food can be off by up to 10% one way or the other, and fresh food, as an agricultural product, is even more likely to be slightly different every time! Plus, 17 calories is about 0.4% of a pound.

ETA: Just saw it was a tablespoon, not a teaspoon. So your calories could be as high as 51. Still not really enough to get worked up about.
  • IndyMario
    IndyMario Posts: 236
    Options
    ocd_o_191508.jpg&sa=X&ei=DmWKUJehIeTAyAHL_4GwAg&ved=0CAsQ8wc4Dw&usg=AFQjCNHE2i9mjtjxKcdzPkZ1q3EgammSgA

My spelling senses are tingling... :grumble:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I think that's part of the joke.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options

My god I want a fig roll!!