Calories in the leftover unpopped popcorn kernels?

Options

Replies

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So who's buying the fig rolls then?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So who's buying the fig rolls then?

Still stuck back on that are we?? :laugh:
  • Deebautista
    Deebautista Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ornery :)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat unpopped kernels. I have since I was a kid, I'm a freak...haha
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)

Seriously? I can't believe people actually do this :noway:

^^^^whooo thats commitment!!:laugh:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Dudes! All this petty, stupid bullying over popcorn! WTF. How does it affect your life if someone else measures out their popcorn or not??? Jerky poop faces (YES I SAID JERKY POOP FACES SO WHAT???)

I don't really eat popcorn much, but if I did I would probably measure out the popped kernels (assuming the bag has serving sizes like, 1 cup = ... calories) and go by that. I know it's easier to just log the whole bag, but like you are saying, a lot of kernels could be left at the bottom uneaten.

You are welcome to your opinion but save the "bully" card. It is not bullying for people to express thier opinions. That what happens on public forum. I wouldn't expect you to like every response or every responder but there is no bullying going in here.

Since when did sarcastic humor become bullying?
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    THANK YOU! that was driving me crazy~
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Maybe weigh it pot popped so you only measure once or us th 100 cal bags.
  • Kmelim
    Kmelim Posts: 26
    Options
    If I were you I would ignore all the smart *kitten*'s in this group and not worry too much about 1teaspoon. It will work itself out in in other ways.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    CRAP, what about all the grease that soaks into the bag?

FIVE GUYS JUST BECAME HEALTH FOOD

Awwww yeahhhhhhh

:laugh:
  • JRCsr
    JRCsr Posts: 1
    Options
    deleted
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Why not just measure what is actually popped and figure the nutrition value from there ? I mean all the popcorn I buy has the nutrition info of a CUP OF POPPED POPCORN. SMH
  • CassieLOL
    CassieLOL Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm pretty sure the unpopped kernels are way higher in calories than popped. I mean, I eat them cause I LOVE the half popped ones but I have popcorn kernels that I air pop, and the nutritional info says it's about 130 cal for 3 tbsp unpopped while 1 cup popped is 40 or so. I don't understand why but a little bit won't hurt you :D
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Awwww yeahhhhhhh

F*** Yeah!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm pretty sure the unpopped kernels are way higher in calories than popped. I mean, I eat them cause I LOVE the half popped ones but I have popcorn kernels that I air pop, and the nutritional info says it's about 130 cal for 3 tbsp unpopped while 1 cup popped is 40 or so. I don't understand why but a little bit won't hurt you :D

It's because there are MORE kernels in an unpopped tbsp than in a popped cup. Each individual kernel is the same calories either way. Popping it doesn't remove any mass, just increases the volume.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It may be weird, but I've always wondered the same thing too.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You're worried about a tbsp of unpopped kernels? Just log it for what it was supposed to be and assume it evens out some place else where you probably under estimated food or over estimated exercise.

This.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on accuracy. Calorie counting, in itself, is not an exact science. You can't be certain that the calories in the database, on the nutrition panel, or anywhere else you managed to pull it from are accurate. And you can't be entirely certain about exactly how many calories your body will need through the day. Just come up with a baseline and stick to it. It's that simple.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Count the kernels in the 3 tbsps of unpopped kernels. Now count the popped pieces in a cup of popped corn. There's your answer. Popped corn takes up much more volume. The caloric value of popping corn doesn't magically change by the act of popping it open.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

Awwww yeahhhhhhh

this made me smile, I'm eating my ghetto grocery bag next time!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before I pop it then weigh the unpopped bits at the end and discount them :-)

This is the simple solution to the original question. Did it really warrant all the spiky comments to get there?

Learn some loving kindness FFS! Peace.