In the mirror, what do you usually think/tell yourself?

Options

Replies

• MThornburg74
    Options
    For the most part I avoid looking at the mirror because I do right into that detailed "inspection" of every feature, etc that leads me down a negative path. Since I have been working out now and feeling like my clothes are a bit looser, I try to focus on my improvements and be proud of what I have done so far. I have extremely low self-esteem - have had low self-esteem for as long as I can remember because I was always different. I am 6'3" tall and I "stick out", so I am more critical. I have also had the experience of being completely fit and in shape when I played basketball, so I know I can "do it".

I want to get to the point where I look in the mirror and see that fit basketball player again (with the addition of my very stubborn, but hopefully smaller, kangaroo pouch from my two big babies!) and just feel good about my progress and how I feel in my own skin!

Good luck to all of you. You inspire me every day to keep going.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    What every guy thinks of... well hopefully it aint just me hahaha
    mirror.jpg
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    THIGH GAP, THIGH GAP, THIGH GAP!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If I'm brutally honest, it's usually "Snap the **ck out of it, this (grab the flab) is why you can't conceive"

Some days it works, the slap to the face is a wakeup call. Some days it gets me down.

The down days are becoming less frequent though, I do love that! And every now and again I may catch myself in the mirror and think, yep, I'm seeing the difference. :smile:
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It depends on the time of day for me. I wake up in the morning and i think my body looks pretty good, flat-ish stomach and decent butt. then by evening...things start to go downward. I'm not sure why it happens but as the day goes by my stomach starts to stick out further. Bloating I guess. I tend to avoid mirrors at night!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I usually say "not bad" for an old lady.:happy:
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I say DAMN THAT IS ONE HOT *****!! :laugh: :laugh:
    Of course there are things that I would absolutely love to improve on, obviously, that's why i'm here... But even with those flaws I love myself. :heart:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    In reference to my mid-section, "not ready yet".
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I usually think:

"That fat suit is coming OFF!!"
    :laugh:

(and it is, slowly :)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Most days its "wow I'm like really pretty" ahahahhaha not even joking but I do love myself a lot
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If it's a quick peak I don't think anything other than "Brush your hair"
    If I'm LOOKING I'm usually like "WHOA! Who is that! Nice! You look great!"
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    "yeah, your waist is smaller, but damn how many miles do I have to run to get rid of this <pointing>...or this <pointing>...or this <pointing>...!?!?!?!"

AND

"Why did I have to lose ALL of my boobs?!" :huh:
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Usually something along the lines of "Look at yourself you fat sack of crap! What the f**k is wrong with you, you used to be in amazing shape! Go work out you lumpy sack of *kitten*!!"

I was in the military so this is more motivating than not in a weird way...I think that other guys can relate perhaps.

Progress has slowed a bit lately as I haven't been working out consistantly, and I've also hit a plateau, but ramping up again.

Like most guys though I do have my vain moments where I think I look pretty damn good despite the need to lose at least another 20lbs from my midsection :tongue:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Usually that I am looking old, wrinkled, tired & haggered :sad:
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I shoulda taken the blue pill!!! (The Matrix)
  • gemaudlin
    gemaudlin Posts: 81
    Options
    Since losing 40 pounds since last November, I'm actually not afraid to look in the mirror anymore! I would ALWAYS avoid it. Probably part of the reason I let myself get the way I was!

I almost always say "It's getting better! Still a long ways to go... but thank Heaven it's not getting any worse!!":wink:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i was trying to type out what i say to myself, but it got really depressing really quickly...

so let's just pretend it's something along the lines of "yay me" and leave it at that.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    is that really me!! followed by need to get more toned! I never looked in the mirror before so now I do get a shock when I see a slimmer person looking back :@)
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well, since MFP removes my swearing, just assume my body and I have a very long rant at each other.

I'm getting better, as in I don't want to punch the mirror each time I see myself naked anymore.

Lately my most frequent thought is "I'm losing weight, getting more firm, and still, I won't look decent until I have surgery. Christ."

I'm twisting the last thought into "I can't have surgery until I'm stable and within acceptable BMI range. Get to work!"
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    hmm... well I tend to love the shoulders and arms... like the abs... but wish that freaking kangaroo pouch (from having two, almost 9 pound, babies) would just go away.

Umm, looking at your profile pic, I believe it did!

i SSOOOO AGREE WITH THIS^^ PERSON!!!

Thanks to both of you. :) I have struggled with self esteem since jr high - and have never been "overweight" per se, but still look in the mirror and see every possible flaw there is...

Learning to love yourself is the hardest task, and yet most rewarding.