Replies

• 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you are AWESOME!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Think I'm really beginning to understand the whole exercise calories thing (person who thought of this was either crazy or a genius)

i'm in the tricky range 25.5-26 bmi, think I will reduce my goal to 1/2lb per week and increase what i eat when i do exercising, although i have my self set as soltary [sp?] cause i have a desk job (however never thought to include the 35min walk to work into the calculation since its normal to me! not taking into consideration dandering about the office) and just work out 3 times a week (1hr power yoga, 1 hr body balance, 1 hr zumba, 1 hr body pump, 1 hr body combat) as some classes are on the same day.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    bump.gif
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Glad this old thread got bumped today, thanks!

This may have been the final kick in the butt to finally drill into my head the importance of eating ALL my exercise calories especially since I am a BMI of 21. I already use a HRM so at least I know the calories are more acurate than MFP which was off by 100+ calories for 50 min activities.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post Banks!!!
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    for later
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanx!!!
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've read a few of your posts and they're all so informative. I never thought I'd find so much information on these message boards.

My question is this... I know you're a man so you might not know much about PCOS, but those of us that have it seem to have a much harder time getting the weight to come off. Should we be sticking to your same calculations if we have PCOS or hormone imbalances or thyroid problems (or any other medical conditions that cause weight gain?)

I know you're not a doctor and I am working with mine to try and get this weight off, but I value your opinion just because of how much knowledge you seem to have about fitness and nutrition.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've read a few of your posts and they're all so informative. I never thought I'd find so much information on these message boards.

My question is this... I know you're a man so you might not know much about PCOS, but those of us that have it seem to have a much harder time getting the weight to come off. Should we be sticking to your same calculations if we have PCOS or hormone imbalances or thyroid problems (or any other medical conditions that cause weight gain?)

I know you're not a doctor and I am working with mine to try and get this weight off, but I value your opinion just because of how much knowledge you seem to have about fitness and nutrition.

Because PCOS (for those that don't know it's Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is an endocrine disorder, it's a game changer. This post is based on having normal hormone production, and PCOS denotes something else. Generally, PCOS can have a wide range of issues with it, from mild weight gain, to severe Insulin resistance (I.E. Pre type 2 Diabetes traits). I would highly recommend you work out your nutrition program with a registered dietitian that has experience working with PCOS and type 2 diabetics. (please note, don't see an endo about your diet, this is outside their purview unless they've specifically had training, but doctors can have God complexes and want to answer your questions even though they shouldn't. I know this sounds cold, but it's very very true.).

I wouldn't mess around with PCOS, go to a registered dietitian, one with experience with this disease. It's usually quite managable if you just find the right help, but doing it on your own is never easy.

Best of luck you you.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,340 Member
    Options
    Definitely a "must read" (and re-read...and re-read)! *bump*
  • skinnygirlfreed
    Options
    I'm glad I found this today...it's something I've definitely been wondering about.

THANK YOU!
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As always.........thank you! Interesting and very informative.

In all of your research and learning have you ever come across information about antidepressants (in particular SSRI's and SNRI's) preventing weight loss despite diet and exercise?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    As always.........thank you! Interesting and very informative.

In all of your research and learning have you ever come across information about antidepressants (in particular SSRI's and SNRI's) preventing weight loss despite diet and exercise?

yes, with SSRI's (Sertonin inhibitors) one of the possible side effects is weight gain. As for SNRI's, I haven't heard about any weight gain issues with them, but a host of other issues can arise that can effect your diet and exercise patterns. Course I'm no doctor, so I would always check with one before changing, or starting a new medication. Fortunately, with SSRI's there are lots of different kinds to choose one, and your doctor should be able to help find one that doesn't lead to weight gain for you. It might take a little experimentation on your (and his/her) part, but once you find it, you should be good on that front.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    great info - thank you...... bumping
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    bump