intermittent fasting..thinking about it

Options

Replies

• tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The only thing that was stressed to me was this is not a lifestyle for someone recovering from an ED
    IDK, I think the control and OCD elements of a stricter IF diet like LG could allow ED folks to replace negative behaviors with positive, by channeling these urges into hitting very tight macro targets, eating windows, etc. I think people assume that fasting = calorie deprivation, which it does not. I fast 16+ hours per day, and am carrying a 2000 calorie weekly surplus. The health benefits of fasting are conferred whether or not you are eating at a caloric deficit, and even eating at maintenance you will likely see fat loss and LBM gain due to the way energy partitioning functions in a fasted state. This is not an uncommon result, and is even more pronounced when doing an LG style calorie cycling where post-workout on weight days you eat at a surplus, and at a deficit on rest days.

It seems like the people condemning IF are doing so completely out of ignorance of what it entails, and the science underlying it.

I definatelt endorse IF. However there is a psychological aspect associated with ED. Let me give a hypothetical. This does not entail all. Most who suffer from anorexia or bulimia have a difficult time controlling triggers. If someone is anorexic and they go 24 hours without eating then their brains revert back to old tapes. Feelings of worthlessness. Or see how good your doing because you didnt eat. An alcoholic cant just go have 1 beer. It creates the phenomenon of craving. Same thing happens in ED. Its an addiction and they stay away from things that create the phenomenon of craving
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The people on here who are telling you not to, or saying it won't help with weight loss, most likely haven't tried it at all. Intermittent fasting seems to be helpful in assisting with weight loss, and the reviews I've seen about it are positive. So if you're thinking about doing it, go for it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The only thing that was stressed to me was this is not a lifestyle for someone recovering from an ED
    IDK, I think the control and OCD elements of a stricter IF diet like LG could allow ED folks to replace negative behaviors with positive, by channeling these urges into hitting very tight macro targets, eating windows, etc. I think people assume that fasting = calorie deprivation, which it does not. I fast 16+ hours per day, and am carrying a 2000 calorie weekly surplus. The health benefits of fasting are conferred whether or not you are eating at a caloric deficit, and even eating at maintenance you will likely see fat loss and LBM gain due to the way energy partitioning functions in a fasted state. This is not an uncommon result, and is even more pronounced when doing an LG style calorie cycling where post-workout on weight days you eat at a surplus, and at a deficit on rest days.

It seems like the people condemning IF are doing so completely out of ignorance of what it entails, and the science underlying it.

Lean gains is the least strict method I know of.

Not in my opinion...it's the MOST strict of the ones I've used. ESE is simple, you don't eat for a period of time, then eat. What you eat is only moderately relevant to the benefits. Leangains has a whole slew of conditions that you have to meet in order to utilize his protocol as he intended. He's said time and again it's not for weight loss (though it works for that). It's for people who are trying to do something very specific with their bodies, bulk, and cut...simultaneously.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I definatelt endorse IF. However there is a psychological aspect associated with ED. Let me give a hypothetical. This does not entail all. Most who suffer from anorexia or bulimia have a difficult time controlling triggers. If someone is anorexic and they go 24 hours without eating then their brains revert back to old tapes. Feelings of worthlessness. Or see how good your doing because you didnt eat. An alcoholic cant just go have 1 beer. It creates the phenomenon of craving. Same thing happens in ED. Its an addiction and they stay away from things that create the phenomenon of craving
    There are definitely a lot of factors to consider, and I wouldn't want to make a generalization for all ED sufferers, just pointing out that saying IF/ED recovery are incompatible is ludicrous... it is going to depend on the individual. I think the problem is most of the people here who are not familiar with ED at all think of them as food-related, which couldn't be further from the truth (Eating Disorder is really a misnomer). Anorexia and Bulimia are both profoundly different disorders, with Bulimia being more centered around a similar pattern of behaviors as OCD, and anorexia is more oriented around feelings of helplessness and a need for control. Obviously these are both very deep subjects, and no short post is going to adequately describe them, but thinking of ED as being driven by food is wrong-headed. The disordered eating is a manifestation of the disorders, not the core symptom, which is why ED are so difficult to overcome for most people. ED are not the opposite of obesity, which seems to be the prevalent view here.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Depends on how strict you want to get on macros, meal timing, diet, etc.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

This is NOT starving yourself, anymore than 4-6 meals through the day is gluttony. It's changing how you eat. Not how much.

Even snacks? :-(

Actually I wanted to try this but I've been putting it off. I don't want to just jump into without taking the time to research things first.
  • tobnrn
    Options
    There are definitely a lot of factors to consider, and I wouldn't want to make a generalization for all ED sufferers, just pointing out that saying IF/ED recovery are incompatible is ludicrous... it is going to depend on the individual. I think the problem is most of the people here who are not familiar with ED at all think of them as food-related, which couldn't be further from the truth (Eating Disorder is really a misnomer). Anorexia and Bulimia are both profoundly different disorders, with Bulimia being more centered around a similar pattern of behaviors as OCD, and anorexia is more oriented around feelings of helplessness and a need for control. Obviously these are both very deep subjects, and no short post is going to adequately describe them, but thinking of ED as being driven by food is wrong-headed. The disordered eating is a manifestation of the disorders, not the core symptom, which is why ED are so difficult to overcome for most people. ED are not the opposite of obesity, which seems to be the prevalent view here.

Interesting. I agree that there are alot of factors to consider and are very deep subjects. I dont think the forum is the place to discuss this however I would love to discuss this matter with you further since I have worked with this vast population and would love to hear your insight.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Depends on how strict you want to get on macros, meal timing, diet, etc.

Definitely, but to get the most out of it...it's a very strict protocol.
    Well in my mind i am comparing it to the warrior diet, 20hr fast, 4hr eating window. That's why i said that.

I've not looked into them much. I've had great results between leangains and ESE, so I never felt the need.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

This is NOT starving yourself, anymore than 4-6 meals through the day is gluttony. It's changing how you eat. Not how much.

Even snacks? :-(

Actually I wanted to try this but I've been putting it off. I don't want to just jump into without taking the time to research things first.

No hun, you don't eat snacks lol. That defeats the purpose. PM me your email and I'll send you something interesting to read :)
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just starting doing a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window and I LOVE it. I can't believe how easy it is. I would love to do 24 hour fasts but I am not sure I'm ready yet. I think you should try it out.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    * The majority of your daily calorie intake is consumed in the post-workout period. Depending on setup, this means that approximately 95-99% (fasted training), 80% (one pre-workout meal) or 60% (two pre-workout meals) of your daily calorie intake is consumed after training.

* The feeding window should be kept somewhat constant due to the hormonal entrainment of meal patterns. We tend to get hungry when we're used to eating and maintaining a regular pattern makes diet adherence easier. If you're used to breaking the fast at 12-2 PM and ending it at 8-10 PM, then try to maintain that pattern every day.

* On rest days, meal one should ideally be the largest meal, as opposed to training days where the post-workout meal is the largest meal. A good rule of thumb is to make meal one on rest days at least 35-40% of your daily calorie intake. This meal should be very high in protein; some of my clients consume more than 100 g of protein in this meal.

Further down on the page, pu!
  • tobnrn
    Options
    I just starting doing a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window and I LOVE it. I can't believe how easy it is. I would love to do 24 hour fasts but I am not sure I'm ready yet. I think you should try it out.

Its not that bad. I eat dinner than don't eat till dinner the next day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [

I am enjoying the results of IF. I am pleasantly surprised how after just the first few days, my hunger was not a problem at all. My fasted workouts are feeling great and I havnt seen any strength loss.

It makes the whole day easier not worrying about getting something ready to eat. Its nice to go out and not having to worry if I will be near a place to get some decent food.

But I agree that you should do your own research before jumping into it. Good luck
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying 'I don't think'...please, do...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't.

I didn't say no, or I don't think.... how is it harmful to them and others? if they eat or not?

Umm...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't think.

lol very true, but I didn't want to say it wouldn't make a diff, cuz I didn't know. I would starve doing that I feel like. I do high intensity cardio & I an so hungry if I don't eat a certain amount cuz I burn so much.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    For those of you saying 'I don't think'...please, do...it's harmful to yourself and others when you don't.

I didn't say no, or I don't think.... how is it harmful to them and others? if they eat or not?

lol very true, but I didn't want to say it wouldn't make a diff, cuz I didn't know. I would starve doing that I feel like. I do high intensity cardio & I an so hungry if I don't eat a certain amount cuz I burn so much.

I'm glad you didn't take me teasing you wrong :).

Seriously though...you can still eat the same amount. Why couldn't you?
  • tobnrn
    Options

You're messed up chris, i was scrolling up and down this thread quickly, kept on seeing a girl's butt, i go to check it out... and it says "crisanderson2". I feel dirty now for some reason.

That is hilarious. You have all sorts of followers. Guess it's a nondiscriminatory butt. lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You're messed up chris, i was scrolling up and down this thread quickly, kept on seeing a girl's butt, i go to check it out... and it says "crisanderson2". I feel dirty now for some reason.

Lol...that's just wrong man...seriously lol.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i don't agree with the idea of fasting, and neither does my doctor. You need to eat food. Your body requires it. There is a reason why your stomach starts to hurt and grumble after mere hours of not eating. :grumble:
  • tobnrn
    Options
    Fasting isn't for everyone. However people that do IF still maintain a healthy caloric intake. It is another form of calorie cycling.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I fast a lot for religious reasons. I feel like it is excellent for that purpose, and, as a bonus I have excellent digestion ;-)

BUT as I get older (have been doing this for 15 years) I notice that some fast days are really tough as far as dizziness and mental confusion. And when we do our annual series of multi-day fasts, I find that I actually GAIN weight, even if I eat very little during the eating part of the week. I think it messes up my metabolism. But the spiritual and self control benefits are worth it, so I do it anyway.