Trick and Treat - how healthy eating is making us ill & fat

Options
Cholesterol and Saturated Fats
The reason for the specific warning against saturated fats is the belief that they increase the risk of heart disease and they contain cholesterol. Polyunsaturated oils tend to lower our blood cholesterol levels, so they must be healthier. The body can absorb only 300 milligrams of cholesterol per day from the foods you eat and as your body needs many times that amount, it then makes up the difference.If you cut down on the amount you eat, your body simply makes more. You can eat food containing as much as five times the usual 300mg without it having any significant effect on the amount of cholesterol in your blood.
Cholesterol is not a good indicator of possible heart attack risk. Fats are an important energy source. The amount of energy coming from carbohydrates is stored in our bodies in the form of glucose and glycogen but is very limited: enough for perhaps 2 days if we take it easy.
Our brains are mostly composed of fats and fats are building blocks for body cell membranes and hormones. Fat also cushions vital organs.
Fats are essential if our bodies are to use the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Vitamin A is more easily absorbed and utilized from butter than from any other source. Fat is also needed for mineral absorption.
Fat slows down the rate at which food is absorbed so we feel fuller quickly and for longer. It is impossible to eat too much fat.
The problem with fats is when they are attacked by oxygen, and create free radicals. Unsaturated fats are unstable because they have double bonds which unite some of their carbon atoms. Fatty acids can break these points into smaller molecules. The carbon atoms each side of the break have a powerful attraction for any other compound with the opposite charge. There is a higher chance of liberation of abnormal carbon atoms with the subsequent formation of toxic free radicals. Mono-unsaturated fatty acids have one double bond, polyunsaturated have two or more. Saturated fats, which have no double bonds, don't auto-oxidize at all and are completely stable and harmless. All fats and oils in nature are a mixture of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The higher the proportion of saturated fatty acids a fat has, the less likely it is to go rancid or auto-oxidize.
The degree of saturation of plant oils and fats entirely depends on the temperature at which they are grown. Oils that are highly saturated, such as coconut oil, in the tropics; palm oil which grows slightly further from the equator, is a little less saturated; Monounsaturated olive oils in the Mediterranean regions; and polyunsaturated oils in the seeds of plant grow in cooler climates.
Cold blooded animals such as fish which live in cold water contain highly polyunsaturated fatty acids. The fats of all warm-bloodied animals contain mixture of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.
Polyunsaturated vegetable oils cannot handle the processing by pressure and heat which alters their structure and produces toxins. Olive oil is healthy because is produced by squashing it's oily seed. Butter which is 60% saturated, doesn't need to be refrigerated because it is not as likely to spoil like vegetable spreads that are artificially made. Butter is made with cream and a little salt. Margarine is a fake food which contains many ingredients. Polyunsaturated fats suppress the immune system.
CLA, conjugated linoleic acid has powerful anti-cancer properties and is found in fat on red meat.
A diet high in frozen meals, pies, crackers, biscuits, chips, muffins, doughnuts, snack bars, margarine or cooking oils is likely to contain high levels of trans-fats. They inflame the arteries and accelerate heart disease.
Our bodies have always preferred source of fuel that has been stored as fat.Genetically we are basically the same now as our distant ancestors, so we should eat today what our Paleolithic ancestors of 10,000 years ago ate.
Fats protect against dry skin, eczema, damage to ovaries, infertility, kidney damage and weight gain through retention of water. When there is little fat in the gut, the bile is held in reserve in the gall-bladder and can lead to gallstones. Buy the fattest meat you can find, don't cat the fat off meat, don't remove the skin from poultry, use duck or goose instead of chicken and turkey, use full cream milk or cream, use parmesan, Swiss cheese and cheddar, use butter instead of spreadable, put olive oil on your salads.
Our brains are three-quarters fat and we need a steady intake of right fats for our brains to function properly. Our brain uses 20% of our bodies energy.

Carbohydrates
Grain were not originally cultivated as a food for humans, but used only as animal feed (to fatten them up and use a cheap source of energy). Very few of the world's recently studied hunter-gatherer populations consume cereal grains. Grains have significant deficiencies in the essential amino acids. The small amount of fatty acids that is in grains heavily weighs towards Omega 6, and their Omega 3 content is almost non-existent. For a healthy diet you need to get the ratios much more stabilized, 2:1 Omega 6 to 3. Cereals contain no vitamin A or Vit B12. They have some vitamins, but not much is actually available after milling, processing and cooking. All of the vitamin B6 in foods of animal origin is absorbed, but the amount our boy can absorb from cereal grains is low. Most cereal grains have very low levels of B7 (biotin) available. B7 is highly available from animal sources. Cereals contain no Vit C. Beef or lambs liver has 3 times as much vitamin C as apples or pears, even after cooking. They contain no Vit D and can indirectly adversely affect it's metabolism. Cereals can adversely influence the bioavailability of iron and Zinc.
Cereal grains contain a cocktail of chemical protectants that may be toxic, anitnutritional or uncomfortable to a predatory animal.
This is all applicable to beans, particularly soy, and other pulses.
Bran is quite inedible - there is no known enzyme in the human body that can digest it. It scratches and tears cells in the gut wall.
Carbs cause heartburn, wind and constipation.

Sugars
Fructose increases the amount of intra-abdominal fat, which wraps around internal organs, causes a pot belly and increases the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. It will also lead to insulin resistance. Fructose can interfere with the heart's use of viral minerals and inhibit the action of white blood cells in the immune system.
Sugar damages your immune system by reducing the white blood cells' effectiveness at destroying bacteria.
You can eat sweets all day, but try eating butter with a spoon and you will soon stop. You cannot overeat.
When we eat glucose and blood sugar levels get too high, the pancreas produces insulin. Insulin stimulates glucose uptake from the blood into body tissues. Inside the body cell, glucose is either used for energy or stored for future use as glycogen in liver or muscle cells or as fat in the body's fat cells. Other than putting on weight, there is a point where cells get fed up with continually taking in glucose they can't use and so it takes more and more insulin to achieve the same reduction of blood sugar, which will result in insulin resistance. This may lead to type-2 diabetes. To avoid this process, limit your carbohydrate intake to less than 100 grams per day and insure you aren't hungry by eating more fats.
The problem with fruit is our ability to have it every day of the year, which is unnatural. Most fruit is all carbohydrate in the form of fructose, with a trace of protein and no fat. It is nothing more than nature's candy.
Fruit does not stimulate insulin secretion from the pancreas such as glucose. But our body produces a hormone called leptin, which controls weight gain. The production of leptin is regulated by insulin responses to meals. Thus fructose, by reducing insulin, also reduces leptin. The more leptin we have the less weight is put on.
Sugar can have the following effects: anxiety, concentration difficulties, crankiness, drowsiness, decreased activity, depression.
Fizzy drinks causes decay of the teeth.

Salt
For centuries salt has been regarded as essential for health and people were paid in salt. It is vital to the body. It is an essential for perspiration and tears and regulated the fluids in the body. When people eat more salt than is required by the body, it is excreted in the urine and if they eat less than the body needs, they kidneys conserve it. As long as salt is no more than 16 grams per day it has no significant effect on blood pressure. The greatest amount of salt is found in processed foods.

Soy
Modern soy produces contain antinutrients and toxins that reduce the absorption of vitamins and minerals and reduce the thyroid activity, which affects our metabolism.
Soy block protein digestion, inhibits the absorption of minerals and mimic the female sex hormone estrogen. Fermentation of soy destroys the many chemicals making it safe to eat (tempeh, natto, miso, soya sauce).

Milk
Milk is heat treated to kill bacteria and increase shelf life. The more the milk is processed the more it losses it's nutritional value. Stripping milk of fat will remove Vitamins A & K which are necessary for the uptake of calcium and protein in milk. Removing the fat fro milk also removes CLA. Whole milk is healthier than skimmed milk, but raw milk or cream are the best options.

Protein
Proteins are essential to the body, making up and repairing the body cells. They are composed of chains of amino acids. Our bodies use around 20, which can be arranged in an almost infinite number of ways. There are 8 essential amino acids that cannot be made by the body and have to be eaten. Complete proteins contain all 8 of the amino acids, they are found in meat, fish, eggs and dairy.
Incomplete proteins are cereals, nuts, seeds and legumes. Each one of these food have some amino acids but are deficient in another.The average woman needs about one gram of protein per kilogram lean body weight per day.
Protein and fat is essential for the body, but carbohydrates are not.

Ideal ratio of macronutrients
Carbs - 10-15% 50-75 grams
Protein 15-25% at least 1-1.5 gram of good quality protein for each kilogram of lean body (50-100 grams).
Far 60-70%

What to eat and what to avoid
Eat fresh food, avoid cooking food for long periods of time, eat seeds grams and nuts that are soaked, sprouted, fermented or naturally leavened in order to neutralize them. Avoid refined sugars, fructose or corn syrup, white flour, canned foods, pasteurized, homogenized skimmed milk, refined or hydrogenated vegetable oils, artificial vitamins or additives.
Animals that eat a natural diet don't have smelly droppings.

Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin for the purpose of reducing blood glucose levels. As no glucose enters the bloodstream, glucose already there is removed for storage, blood levels are driven down and the result is hunger and increased food intake. Aspartame disrupts the chemistry of the brain, lowers Serotonin which could cause mood and behavior, sleep and appetite problems.
There are 3 sources of energy:
1. Glucose - comes from carbohydrates. Protein can also be utilized as a source of glucose if necessary.
2. Fats - from diet and stored body fats.
3. Ketones - derived from the metabolism of fats.
Not all cells in our bodies uses the same fuel: We have cells that employ fatty acids (heart), cells that can can use glucose and/or ketones and cells that can only use glucose (retina, lens and cornea of the eye).
When losing weight with high fat, high protein diets you spare the protein lost from lean muscle.
The body can use protein as an energy source but it's not healthy to use this method in the long term. It causes a strain on the liver and kidneys. Protein also requires fat soluble vat A for it's metabolism. High protein diets with low fat depletes vitamin A stores and can cause a negative calcium balance where more calcium is lost from the body than is taken in. By eating a low fat diet you can maintain your weight but you will be hungry most of the time, which you can't maintain - your body will rebels.

Calorie controlled diets
It is hard to live on a calorie calculated diet because it's hard to tell how much energy you use when when you do something and to calculate how much energy is in food. The body does not burn fuel in the same way that are burned in a bomb calorimeter (which is used to determine how much calories are in food). Fat and protein's energy is used for other functions in the body where as carbs are used solely for energy.
An early season fruit may be much lower in sugar than one from the peak of the season. Dieters on a fat-based diet lose much more weight than dieters on carb-based diets even when they ate the same amount of calories. Carbs are converted to glucose which stimulates insulin production. Insulin takes the excess glucose out of the bloodstream and is converted to glycogen which is stored in the liver and muscles cells as a limited amount. The rest is stored as body fat. You soon feel hungry again as your sugar blood levels drop. Fat prevent those violent fluctuations and gives a feeling of satiety which stops the feeling of hunger. You will need to deprive your body of blood sugar as fuel and make it use your stored fat as fuel.

*** All information is from the book Trick and Treat by Barry Groves. This is not my personal opinion.

Replies

• jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    wow is all i got to say... have you read the book blood types it tells you what type of diet you should be on with your blood type,, very interesting...
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    How is eating fat "unhealthy", is what I want to know? Healthy eating, in my book, is eating nothing that was made in a factory. Nothing artificial, refined, processed or "enriched".

But honestly, the second I read the moralising tone of your post about carbs, I knew that sort of article I was reading. Sigh.

Sugar =/= all carbs.

Signed,
    Someone who is actually low-carbing due to insulin-resistant PCOS.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Goodness.
  • rahoggp
    rahoggp Posts: 1
    Options
    There is a lot of factually incorrect and misleading information in the original post. Double check the advice before taking it.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    "Healthy eating" means what we are told to eat - low fat and high carbs. This books says that fat is essential and important and carbs are not. So it's the other way around.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    There is a lot of factually incorrect and misleading information in the original post. Double check the advice before taking it.

What is incorrect?
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds just like paleo / primal

Do you folow this sort of eating? If so, how do you find it?
  • gemmaldavies
    gemmaldavies Posts: 379
    Options
    very interesting. i personally try to avoid as many carbs as possible. it does go against what we see as the norm..... kind of like women shouldnt lift heavy as they will bulk, i think its about time people open their eyes to more possibilities.

ive been on udo's choice oil which is super high in good fats. look it up guys, im already sleeping better and skin is a lot better.

thanx 4 posting this :flowerforyou:
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Not to mention the massive mental effect reducing carbs has, Ive never been happier
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

What is incorrect?

"It is impossible to eat too much fat" This is incorrect. I would say some of the info is good, some is questionable. Interesting point about fruit not being available every day of the year in a natural setting. Another reason to eat only local, in season produce.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs and fat. Obviously not too much but you still need it to function
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    Only protein and fat are necessary to the body, not carbs. The body can produce it's energy from protein and fats.
    You can't eat too much of "good" fat. Try to eat butter with a spoon.
    The only time you can eat too much fat is when it's mixed with carbs, like doughnuts.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So I am academically curious how you know for a fact that grains were gathered only for animal feed, and not for human consumption, during the prehistoric hunter-gatherer societies. You know, the time before written history.

I would also like to know how you would explain the clay jugs and pots they are finding in ancient dwellings with millet and emmer wheat in them. Oddly enough, they are finding these pots in the hearth area, not the animal dwellings.

Or, you know, you could go one spreading misinformation and not critically thinking about the things you read.

Your choice.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Only protein and fat are necessary to the body, not carbs. The body can produce it's energy from protein and carbs.

I'm assuming you meant 'fat' and not 'carbs' :)

I think that depends on your lifestyle. Every serious athlete I know find they have better performances if they incorporate complex carbs into their diet as well. If you aren't active or have limited activity levels, I could see how that would be different.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Options
    So I am academically curious how you know for a fact that grains were gathered only for animal feed, and not for human consumption, during the prehistoric hunter-gatherer societies. You know, the time before written history.

I would also like to know how you would explain the clay jugs and pots they are finding in ancient dwellings with millet and emmer wheat in them. Oddly enough, they are finding these pots in the hearth area, not the animal dwellings.

Or, you know, you could go one spreading misinformation and not critically thinking about the things you read.

Your choice.

So you think that prehistoric people ate bread and cereal? doughnuts and pizzas?
    Even if they did eat carbs, they wouldn't have eaten anything like the amount that we eat today. Basically today we base our diet around carbs.
    I'm quoting:
    " The Agricultural Revolution began 10,000 years ago, just a drop in the bucket compared to the 2.5 million years human beings have lived on Earth. Until that time everyone on the planet ate meat, fruit and vegetables. For most of us it's been less than 200 generations since our ancestors abandoned the old lifestyle and turned to agriculture".
    I find it very interesting that most of the deaths back then were from accidents, old age or infections. Today we have cancer and heart disease. I don't believe that everything he says is suited to me, but I believe that our diet has caused a deficiency in many important elements and the processed food has caused us to get ill.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

So you think that prehistoric people ate bread and cereal? doughnuts and pizzas?

To be fair, I don't think anyone would say those things are the healthiest examples of carbs. I think using them as an example is hurting your argument.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    tldr_trollcat.jpg?1318992465
  • ededar
    ededar Posts: 36
    Options
    As a Sixth-former doing A level Chemistry:

Glucose (A Carb): C6 H12 O6
    Olive Oil (A Fat): C57 H106 O6

The more oxidised a molecule is the less energy rich it is. Fats have a lower ratio of oxygen to carbon and hydrogen so it has more energy per gram, and we know that excess energy is stored in the body as fat :3

I thought that was interesting anyway lol.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You need carbs!

Making energy isn’t the only thing your body does with the carbohydrate nutrients in your diet. Carbohydrates also protect your muscles. When you need energy, your body looks for glucose from carbohydrates first.

If no glucose is available, because you’re on a carbohydrate-restricted diet or have a medical condition that prevents you from using the carbohydrate foods you consume, your body begins to pull energy out of fatty tissue. Your body's next move is to burn its own protein tissue (muscles). If this use of proteins for energy continues long enough, you run out of fuel and die.

A diet that provides sufficient amounts of carbohydrates keeps your body from eating its own muscles. That’s why a carbohydrate-rich diet is sometimes described as protein sparing.

What else do carbohydrates do?

•Regulate the amount of sugar circulating in your blood so that all your cells get the energy they need.

•Provide nutrients for the friendly bacteria in your intestinal tract that help digest food.

•Assist in your body’s absorption of calcium.

•May help lower cholesterol levels and regulate blood pressure (these effects are special benefits of dietary fiber).
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    "Healthy eating" means what we are told to eat - low fat and high carbs. This books says that fat is essential and important and carbs are not. So it's the other way around.

:noway: :noway: i really, really disagree with this. i tried going carb free for about a week and i literally couldnt stay awake. i fell asleep everywhere; in the car, sitting in assembly at school, sitting in class, etc. carbs are positively essential for energy, at least for me. i could eat peanut butter and tuna all day but if i didnt have my oatmeal, rice cakes, or Ezekiel bread i would probably be asleep right now, never mind being able to work out. there just is NOT enough energy in other foods!!!!!!