Salads, NEED new recipes!

Options
I LOVE lettuce and spinach and I usually just eat a cup of lettuce with an orange cut up and no dressing but..thats so boring.
I need new salads or things I could put in my salad. I'm not a fan of cucumbers :s even though I force myself to eat them once and a while

Replies

• Francescal88
    Francescal88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been making Greek salad for lunch lately -
    30g baby salad leaves
    50g green olives
    40g light feta
    40g cooked couscous
    60g cucumber
    2 tbsp light balsamic dressing

Comes in at 283 calories so not the lowest calorie salad ever, but keeps me full up for a few hours!
  • kazzy7777
    kazzy7777 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have started to eat big salads as a meal lately. I put in 1/2 cup of protein (chick peas, chicken breast, tuna) or 2 hard boiled eggs, etc in addition to at least 2 other kinds of veggies. I like colorful veggies because they make the salad more visually appealing. Nuts add some crunch to the salad. A little bit of avocado or cheese keeps things interesting as well. For dressing, I just use salt, 1 tsp olive oil, and either lemon juice or red wine vinegar. You could also try to make couscous, tabbouleh, or quinoa and a few scoops of that adds a nice touch to green leaves (in addition to your protein).
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I made a 7 layer salad over the weekend and it was a big hit! I just googled it for the recipe! Also have you checked out www.genaw.com for lots of low carb recipes! I made the onion and cheese crustless quiche and it was very good! My husband even liked it and he's not doing low carb! Good luck to you!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just checked that website and she's got lots of salad recipes!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My sister has an Asian Coleslaw recipe that I love. Very easy to make, and tastes great. Allrecipes has a version of it, just google it for ingredients etc.
  • KG220
    KG220 Posts: 8
    Options
    i was watching tv one day and hungry girl was making a salad that is absolutely delicious (and around 500 calories)!

salad:
    lettuce
    grilled chicken
    corn
    cheddar cheese
    tortilla chips

dressing:
    ranch dressing
    bbq sauce

obviously the chips and cheese need to be in moderation and i only use 2T of each sauce for the dressing but it is SO good. definitely a favorite and reminds me of the bbq chopped chicken salad from panera! yumm :)
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I adore big salads and I like to keep them SIMPLE. My usual is this:

1 heart of romaine (I get them 3 in a pack at the store), sliced across the grain
    2 green onions/scallions, sliced into little rounds
    1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp Perfect Pinch Vegetable (a seasoning salt, delicious)
    a dash each of garlic powder and celery salt

And either I will eat it as is, or I'll add:

Leftover chicken (either grilled or fried, chopped up)
    Fresh Kalamata olives
    Chickpeas
    Fresh grated parmesan
    Celery, chopped up
    Shredded cheese (whatever I have on hand)
    Tuna fish--esp. the ones packed in olive oil
    Strawberries (excellent with a good balsamic!)
    Walnuts
    Almonds, ground up
    Almonds, whole
    Craisins

Keep in mind that spices add flavor and excitement. You can add LOTS of flavor without adding calories. I suggest any of the ones I already listed, plus basil, rosemary, dill, hot pepper flakes, kelp...there's so much of a selection out there! My salads are huge and filling. My basic version comes in at about 235 calories, which isn't too bad if you're eating it as the meal and not just a side dish. You can get away with adding more stuff to it. But I almost NEVER do actual dressings; I measure out the oil and vinegar and just mix them right in the bowl.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the calorie count is off hand, but it is yummy and satisfying!

1 cup favorite greens
    1/2 pink lady apple (granny smith, gala, fuji work as well)
    1/8-1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/8-1/4 cup pecans or almonds
    1 - 1 1/2 cups veggies (carrots, cukes, radishes, peppers, onions, etc) cut/sliced

Mix all together then add 1/2 - 1 serving Kraft fat free french dressing. Mix well!

FANTABULOUS!

I have also added tuna, chicken, turkey, or ham. 2-3 oz of whatever I have.
  • Beckaymom
    Beckaymom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce, baby spinach, cuke, strawberries, mandarin, dried berries, feta cheese, chopped walnuts or pecans, with a splash of blush salad dressing. Just a little of everything if make one person salad.

Use your imagination with fruit or leave fruit out and put black olives in and cherry tomatoes instead with tiny bit of bacon bits. yum!

Or make a taco salad. Whole grain low fat chip crunched up. chopped lettuce, tomato, extra lean hamburg cooked and scrambled, red pinto beans drained, mexican cheese shredded, and french dressing. Buy everything low fat or low calorie. It is so yummy.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I just toss in what sounds good at the time. I get iceburg and romaine as a base. I'll pick up spinach, spring green mix, edible flowers, (they're pretty and drive people at work nuts lol) strawberries, grapes, raspberries, feta cheese, blu cheese, dried apricots, shredded cheese, cantaloupe, apples, nuts, chickpeas, regular peas, corn and I love a good raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

I do a lot of experimenting!
  • purple_k
    purple_k Posts: 16
    Options
    depending on my other meals and whether ive had eggs that day already i will add a boiled egg chopped up. also, in different combinations i find these add some extra taste/texture:

mixed seeds - sunflower/pumpkin
    apple
    grapes
    carrot chopped up
    beans - kidney, green beans, broadbeans
    walnuts or almonds
    sweet potato (i cook some extra at dinner the evening before)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do Taco Salad almost every other day.

I either use lean ground beef (ground chicken/turkey) seasoned with no sodium taco seasoning or a chopped up chicken breast that was cooked in cumin. A couple of cups of greens, a tomato, sliced onion and if I have calories and carbs to spare I add cheese and crushed Doritos. I use a mixture of salsa and sour cream for the dressing.

** Oh, and I forgot the cup of so of Jalapenos. The best part.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been making Greek salad for lunch lately -
    30g baby salad leaves
    50g green olives
    40g light feta
    40g cooked couscous
    60g cucumber
    2 tbsp light balsamic dressing

Comes in at 283 calories so not the lowest calorie salad ever, but keeps me full up for a few hours!

bump to make. Sounds delish.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My salads are usually lettuce, tomato, spring onion, either chicken or tuna. I add about 10g of cheese and 20g coleslaw and possibly a small amount salad cream or other dressing. That way it's still healthy but there's some tasty things in there that I love.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    my salads ingredients of choice are....
    spinach
    mushrooms
    onion
    cottage cheese
    pistachios
    cucumbers
    carrots
    hard boiled egg
    hot sauce

dressings of choice
    ken's light sweet vidalia onion
    kraft light asian toasted sesame (or kraft free, not sure)
    ff ranch
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com

There is a salad day challenge going on there right now. Our her salads are fantastic and tasty!
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off ToneItUp.com---love it. I'm actually eating it tonight!

Karena's Kale Salad

Servings: 10 -- big enough for a BBQ! You can divide the portions equally if you want to make less servings. This salad keeps well overnight too! It's actually better tasting the longer it marinates :)

INGREDIENTS & INSTRUCTIONS--

5-6 cups kale, washed and cut with kitchen scissors into thin strips.
    1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries.
    1/2 cup pine nuts.
    1/2 cup diced red onions.
    1/2 cup cherry red tomatoes
    1/3 cup feta cheese. We suggest low-fat or non-fat.
    juice of one lemon
    2 fresh diced garlic cloves
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix kale, cranberries, tomatoes, nuts, onions in a glass bowl. In a separate dish, mix lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic to make a dressing. Pour dressing over kale and toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight 6 hours or more is best! Before serving, toss in feta cheese.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love salads with grilled chicken, apples and feta....and you can mix it up and add berries too.
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My favorite is baby spinach with any veggies you like then I top it with fresh sliced strawberries and a few toasted pistachios or almonds. For dressing I use kens light options balsalmic vinegrette. I toss it in the dressing 15min before i eat so the spinach can absorb and get a little more tender. Its sooo good....i know it sounds weird but its a nice change to break up the regular salad.
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    A pub near me does tortilla salad which is a light tortilla with lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, tomato and chilli!