red onion chopped
    mozeralla cheese shredded
    whole black olives
    top with italian dressing

that is one of my most favorite salads
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This is super delish and the edamame has protein!

Link: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/healthy-garden-salad/

Healthy garden salad-allrecipes.com

Ingredients

5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 limes, juiced
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (1 pound) package frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
    3 cups frozen corn kernels
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    Directions

In a large serving bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, salt and garlic. Set aside.
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the soybeans and boil for 3 minutes. Add corn to the boiling water and continue cooking for 1 more minute. Drain very well, and pour into the bowl with the dressing. Gently mix in the cherry tomatoes, green onions and black beans. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to chill and blend the flavors.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Warm Bacon & Balsamic Salad

Put whatever salad leaves/veg you like on a plate, typically i use mixed leaves, tomato, cucumber, spring onions and sweet peppers

dry fry 1 slice of finely chopped bacon in a non stick pan until crispy and sprinkle over the salad
    Add 15 ml of balsamic vinegar to the frying pan and boil til its sticky... try not to breath in the vapor it will make you cough lol
    whisk in 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, then pour over the salad while the dressing is still warm
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    totally bumping this one!
  • jekwem
    jekwem Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I make a salad I put boiled eggs that have been cut up with cracker black pepper, mozzerla cheese (very little). Olive Oil (soo good!) a tad bit of salt and for dressing I use either itlaian or ranch!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Tangerine Salad

4 c spinach
    2 clementines (tangerines, mandarin oranges, whatever you call 'em), peeled and sectioned--you can also use canned mandarin orange slices, but the syrup adds calories.
    1/3 cup Craisins
    2 tbsp roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
    Raspberry vinaigrette dressing, to taste--I like just enough to coat everything

Mix it all in a bowl, being careful not to let the nuts and orange slices settle on the bottom. Serving size: 1 cup, more or less. ~100 cals/serving.
  • Rachelle_Rachelle
    Options
    I like:

Spinach
    Sliced strawberries
    poppy seeds
    sesame seeds
    raspberries

Use the juice of the berries as dressing. You can also add nuts like walnuts or pecans and it is amazing. I find if my salad isn't crunchy enough I get bored with it, hence the seeds and nuts. Enjoy!
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    This isn't a recipe but a new salad dressing I found I'm totally in love with - Bolthouse Farms Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing. It is only 45 calories for 2 tbsp and tastes GOOD, unlike a lot of light dressings. Plus, it doesn't have a bunch of weird stuff added to it.
  • NicNZ25
    NicNZ25 Posts: 4
    Options
    Some great ideas here, I can see my salad making taking on a whole new look!

My standard "base" is usually

chopped spinach, or baby spinach leaves, or chopped lettuce
    grated carrot
    wee bit of finely chopped red onion
    a bell pepper (I usually like red or yellow just because its a different colour than green, but if green ones are the cheapest at the shop that week I'll happily have green too)

Then I'll mix it up a bit by adding various other things like
    Lightly boiled green beans so they are still crunchy, will add these hot
    or some grilled zuchinnis
    lightly boiled broccilli
    some roasted parsnip "chips"

Often a bit of cheese, some like either feta or parmesan so you get lots of flavour for the small amount you use

Some fruit, grapes are awesome on salads, as are strawberries, orange, apples

And then for the meat part I'll grill some chicken thats been marinating in lemon juice for a while, or grill some bacon till its crunchy, or grilled salmon fillets. Or lean beef strips are really nice on top of a salad as well. If I add meat I won't have the egg, or the fruit, and sometimes will leave out the cheese as well if I need to get the calories down.

And dressing .... I'd rather have hardly any dressing on it and make it a full fat dressing than be able to have more but use a low calorie version, I just like the flavour better in the full fat ones. Quite often I'll just use a tablespoon on the Paul Newmans Caeser Salad dressing, or a tablespoon of mayo. If you make the salad up in a big bowl, you can put the dressing on top and thoroughly mix it through before you put it on your plate, that way it goes all the way through the salad and you don't make a mess all over the bench trying to mix it up!

Or for a fruity salad balsamic vinegarette is good.
  • heatherallen1020
    Options
    I like a good spring mix salad with glazed pecans,shredded cheese,dried cranberries,chopped egg and a 2-3oz chicken breast with balsamic dressing or fat free french....yummy!!!!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I really love a good chef salad with ham, green pepper, onions, cheese, anything else you can throw in it. I also like a southwest salad with beans and corn.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Spinach, roma tomato, bacon bits, feta cheese, mushrooms and feta cheese dressing. :-) DOUBLE FETA, FTW!!!
  • lovelysummerbabe2012
    Options
    I don't really like salad dressing. . or cheese ):
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I make Panera salads at home all the time. The Chicken Poppyseed one is easy (just have to look for the right poppyseed dressing) or the Fuji Apple Salad.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bump....I need some too.....be back later!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    i don't know how you feel about fruit in your salads, but i find it often is a nice complement

STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
    slice some strawberries and put in a hot pan to create a syrup. meanwhile, roast off some sliced almonds. fill your bowl with spinach and endive or frisee and make a vinaigrette using red wine vinegar, oil, shallots, a dollop of dijon mustard, and some salt. when your syrup is ready, add that to the vinaigrette. toss your almonds and some fresh strawberry slices into your salad and top with your dressing!

WATERMELON SPINACH SALAD
    toss some spinach, red onion (cut in rings), almonds, and watermelon cubes together with balsamic and oil. add a little salt and bleu cheese crumbles and place on top of a watermelon wedge.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My new favorite summertime salad is: either spinach or mixed greens, strawberries, avocados, and green olives with balsamic vinagrette

Summer is great for salads...add fresh veggies, fruits, even herbs...throw whatever you want to make it taste good for you :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Roast a bunch of veggies ( i like carrots with zucchini, yellow squash and shallots) Put them over top of a bed of spinach... SOOO YUMMY!!!
  • lisajordan2000
    Options
    Such great suggestions on here! Although I don't know portions or calorie count, I'd like to add this to your list:

WATERMELON and FETA SALAD
    * cubed watermelon
    * arugula
    * mixed greens
    * red onion
    * low/non-fat feta cheese
    * (fresh) mint & parsley (for garnish)
    * honey vinaigrette dressing

(BJ's Brewhouse/Restaurant serves this on their Light menu if you have one nearby)

Enjoy!