Are you self conscious working out in public?

Options
EJand94
EJand94 Posts: 55 Member
I hate working out outside, whenever anybody is at the house, and especially at a gym because I feel like people are judging you so much ^__^ Are you like this also? If so, how do you grow out of it??

Replies

• Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    same for me i just started letting my boy friend watch
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY scared of working out around other people..even my bf...I would feel better about it if i was under 150lbs...
  • Irish_Lanie
    Irish_Lanie Posts: 100
    Options
    I love having friends to work out with and Im usually too busy enjoying myself to worry about what anyone else in the gym thinks.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to. But I reminded myself that when I go to the gym, I'm not looking around internally commenting on others. It's unlikely others are doing that too. Most people just want to workout and go home. Now I don't worry about it so much.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you feel someone is judging you while your working out... arch one eyebrow up, give them a 2 second hard stare, and beam the words "BITE ME" at them really hard. Then move on with your workout.

Seriously though...they're probably thinking the same thing about you..OMG, that fantastic looking person over there is judging me. We're only bit players in everyone else's internal dialog.
  • drumprincess1
    Options
    sometimes i do....when i went to the gym it wasn't bad but i definitely feel like that when i go running in my neighborhood. but now im sort of over it because im the one who is gonna look good and my neighbors won't haha :ppp but ya, i just say rock it out :)
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I always think I look awkward at the gym, especially on the treadmill. I don't workout in front of my fiance either...

Fortunately I go to the gym early in the morning when a handful of people are there.
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just think, everyone at the gym are there for whatever reasons, they will be too busy exercising so they aren’t going to be looking at you. Just focus on your workout. Maybe once you feel comfortable working out at the gym in front of people, you can go outdoors. To be honest, i couldn’t care less if people look at me while I’m exercising, I probably won’t see them again! :)
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    When I am at the gym, lifting weights or out walking I have no problem being out these things. BUT for over 20 years, the ONLY time I would run was during the night/dark time or run on my treadmill. I didn't want anyone to see me running....I have no idea why....but anything else I don't care about.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it will get better once you force yourself to just do it a couple times. Seriously. Put your headphones on, music as loud as possible, and just tune out everyone around you. You will soon realize this is what most people are doing- tuning everyone out. They're really not paying as much attention to you as you think.
  • wondrturtle
    wondrturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nope, in fact today I did circuits at the park. I like being outside and if other people are out there I highly doubt they are even thinking about what I am doing. And at the gym, everyone is there getting their sweat on so I definitely don't worry about judgment there. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to. I was 400+ at the time. I was worried about what others thought. that they point and laugh. then I decided to stop gaf what others thought.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I was and still am, i got tricked into working out outside my gym, i say tricked i think shock therapy with my PT. The conversation went like this;

PT how you doing then enjoying the weather
    Me yeah absolutely it's gorgeous out
    PT i know, far too nice to be stuck working out in the gym
    Me yeah tell me about it
    PT glad you agree, grab that VPR we're working out outside today
    Me yeah, wait,what?!

I then worked out on the steps of the GMEX building in the city centre of Manchester - i think i sweated more out of anxiety than anything but i did it, it was awkward at first with people milling about in suits n noticing the odd look, but by the end i felt brilliant and had a great sense of achievement.

Its never as bad as you think it'll be :)
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    I used to get bothered by the looks I got with my shirt sweat stained all over but I stopped caring after the first few weeks
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way.. But honestly.... No one is paying any attention to you.... they are there doing the same thing you are doing.. Working out...

Now I will workout anywhere and with anyone around.... But I still have public speaking issues.. go figure.. LMAO
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know for me, I am painfully shy working out. At gyms I am the girl in the oversized outfit, all black from head to toe, keeping all eyes from me. I have a big set of girls upstairs and wont run in public. I have pretty much assembled a decent home gym, weights, treadmill and stuff. On the 6th I am gonna have to put all fears aside and suck it up cause I am gonna meet with a trainer to learn correct form for lifting. I am so nervous! I have decided, I have to work my a** off so I can be one of the bunnies at the gym one day, and have other girls hate me for wearing makeup to the gym, lookin hot as f***, in a cute outfit and playing with bigger weight than the boys :D
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Just remember they are feeling the same way. I do go to a women's only gym because I am not as comfortable as I would like to be in those situations. I keep think the smaller I get the more I will but doubt it. I sweat horribly and look like crap when I am done so still would feel like I was making a scene of myself.

I just go in, find my machine and get to it. Then I wash up a bit and leave. I am not there to make friends so no need to hang around. I just want to be healthy so I know to do that I have to go because I can not afford it the machines at home.

I am not as uncomfortable walking outside anymore. It would be better if I had a dog or something so people driving by don't feel sorry for the fat girl out walking because she has to but again, I do it for my health so I suck it up and deal. I feel loads better then when I started exercising 3 months ago so not willing to go back to couch potato life. 5k a day no matter what.
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We only have two gyms where I'm from that are decent, and there are no overweight people that go to them. Both are horrible gossip factories that remind me of highschool. The only females that are at them are typically in full makeup and there to pick up.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you my thought process. I am more concerned with what I'm doing than what anyone else is doing. The only exception to that is if someone is doing something really awesome close by. That happens very infrequently but the day the guy starts knocking out pull ups in the L position while wearing a USMC t-shirt comes to mind! lol Other than that most people are too caught up in their own thing, especially in the gym, to care that much about what you are doing.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I walk with friends most of the time. The other time I am on a gravel road between corn/wheat fields and no one sees me. I don't care if they do.