walking 3 mph: "walking dog"...BUT I DON'T HAVE A DOG

Options

Replies

• Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have to agree. I have a dog, but I've learned that even though he's soon to be eight years old, he walks faster than three mph. I see your point. I think there needs to be more choices. Everything is too general. What if someone plays DanceDanceRevolution or a game of similar style? What's that supposed to go under? Surely not modern dancing.
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have SO MUCH fun making up my own exercises that are at least entertaining for my MFPals to actually read:

"Yardwork; moderate amount of weeding, trimming and saving worms from uncertain death."

"Waking, 3.5 moderate pace while jamming to my tunes and singing along."

LET'S GET CREATIVE OUT THERE!!! :wink:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Fun on the internets is not allowed, you must be srs at all times!

P.s. rubbing dirt on hurt butts helps.

*wanders off to the garden to try this sage advice*
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I have to agree. I have a dog, but I've learned that even though he's soon to be eight years old, he walks faster than three mph. I see your point. I think there needs to be more choices. Everything is too general. What if someone plays DanceDanceRevolution or a game of similar style? What's that supposed to go under? Surely not modern dancing.

Most people enter it manually, using the 'create my own exercise' setting.... It's there to help you customise your experience of the site....
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Did you ever post a topic that you knew LOADS of people agreed with and had possibly thought about quite a few times and then got completely shot down for all the wrong reasons? :grumble:
    I don't care if you all like walking with your dog, we walk at 3mph WITHOUT a dog and we should be recognised as EQUALS!!! :explode:
    *watches out for the lynch mob of all the people who have zero sense of humour* :noway:
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have SO MUCH fun making up my own exercises that are at least entertaining for my MFPals to actually read:

"Yardwork; moderate amount of weeding, trimming and saving worms from uncertain death."

love this....i'm goin to walk my cute lil bunny now :bigsmile:
  • ElliieMental
    ElliieMental Posts: 189
    Options
    I have some feedback/suggestions relating to this post......

Don't post ANYTHING on MFP unless you want your opinions, morals, character and mood thrown to the lions......

Apparently exercise does not make people cheerful and friendly - on the web at least ???

:)

For the record, I understand that you declared your issue as a 'small concern' and agree with your point that there should be a generic setting for such a generic speed.

Perhaps to save tens of thousands of users all creating their own exercise, the admins could create the generic one and everyone would be happy and smiley and go about their happy little lives and helping others.....

:)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    You're right Faye. How could we be so insensitive. Let's stage a sit in? I'll bring the placards. We must end this oppression of non-dog-owners who walk at 3mph. Expecting them to suffer the indignity of either posting as if they had a dog, or the exhaustion of entering their own exercise manually.... *gasp* ... it's just inhuman, really, isn't it?
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most people enter it manually, using the 'create my own exercise' setting.... It's there to help you customise your experience of the site....

I kinda gathered that, but what basis do they have to go on? There should be less general things and a better selection. Just saying. This is a forum where I can express my opinion.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would like something changed because I am a user. THAT IS WHAT THE FEEDBACK SECTION IS FOR.

Most...really almost all entries are user entries. This website gave you and all other users the ability to create exactly what you need / want in both the nutrition and exercise categories. You want a "walking 3.0 mph" then make it.

I have a dog. I walk him and monitor my average pace while walking him and it is 3.0 - 3.2 mph so I use that exercise line. I request that the "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" be left as it is.
  • viper_7
    viper_7 Posts: 14
    Options
    I added "Sex - Moderate" to my own list of exercises - surprised it wasn't there!

"Walking the dog" is just to give you an idea of the pace and what 3mph relates too - but sure dogs walk at different rates!

With all the excercies though - have to be really honest with yourself.

For example there is a "Food preparation" one!! 30 mins of standing chopping up some veg doesn't count as exercise!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You're right Faye. How could we be so insensitive. Let's stage a sit in? I'll bring the placards. We must end this oppression of non-dog-owners who walk at 3mph. Expecting them to suffer the indignity of either posting as if they had a dog, or the exhaustion of entering their own exercise manually.... *gasp* ... it's just inhuman, really, isn't it?

PMT's a b*tch
    ETA: at the end of the day it was a suggestion, no need to belittle anyone for making that suggestion, is there not a section in the rules of MFP about not doing that?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I added "Sex - Moderate" to my own list of exercises - surprised it wasn't there!

I try to avoid the moderate sex, myself. But each to their own.... :-)
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Someone needs to take a beach side vacation and just relax.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Isn't he speed the most important thing? Not the fact that it says "walking dog"? I don't have one either but I ignore that part of the name. If one has a dog that walks faster or slower than the "3 mph, moderate pace, walking dog" option, wouldn't we just expect them to log thier actual speed, as opposed to logging it as "...walking dog"? Does it really matter? Like you said - it's just a name.
  • meerkat70
    Options

PMT's a b*tch

Ah no. She's a lovely woman. Just misunderstood.
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    Am I missing an important point here or could you really just add your own exercise without the walking dog part?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Am I missing an important point here or could you really just add your own exercise without the walking dog part?

We covered that already. It's a human rights issue...
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I SO agree! My latest "new" exercise is Killing Rattle snakes.:bigsmile:
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like turtles