walking 3 mph: "walking dog"...BUT I DON'T HAVE A DOG

Options

Replies

• Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You're right Faye. How could we be so insensitive. Let's stage a sit in? I'll bring the placards. We must end this oppression of non-dog-owners who walk at 3mph. Expecting them to suffer the indignity of either posting as if they had a dog, or the exhaustion of entering their own exercise manually.... *gasp* ... it's just inhuman, really, isn't it?

:flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have SO MUCH fun making up my own exercises that are at least entertaining for my MFPals to actually read:

"Yardwork; moderate amount of weeding, trimming and saving worms from uncertain death."

"Waking, 3.5 moderate pace while jamming to my tunes and singing along."

LET'S GET CREATIVE OUT THERE!!! :wink:

:heart:

I do this, too. "Running 7.2 hilly miles including fields, railroad tracks, wooded trails and a cemetery (with no zombies)." Or "C25K W4D1 in the park is so much more enjoyable than the dreadmill!" Or "Weights (legs & abs), treadmill, bike and a couple minutes on the elliptical to remind me how much I hate the elliptical."
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I like turtles

I love turtles. But walking with them presents certain practical challenges.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    "Walking the dog" is just to give you an idea of the pace and what 3mph relates too
    I agree with this sentiment. And as someone else stated, most, if not all, of the exercises listed are (to the best of my knowledge) created by MFP users. What I would recommend is to calculate the number of calories that are burned using the current "walking, 3 mph mod. pace, walking dog" and then relate that to a new exercise entitled simply "walking, 3 mph, mod. pace".

With regard to exercises, I do think it's intended to be more of a community effort to maintain and add to them than a staff job.

However, I also feel that the Website suggestions/Feedback forum should be used just for that and not for asinine belittling just because you disagree with another user's opinions or suggestions.

If I were a forum moderator there would be a lot of two week bans distributed :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have Radiohead tickets.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have a dog you can borrow...

photo2-001-1.jpg

He also enjoys swimming at about 2.5 miles/hr, but you'll have to enter that exercise into the database yourself. Also, make sure you scratch his *kitten*...he likes that! :wink:
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like turtles

I love turtles. But walking with them presents certain practical challenges.

I just wear a sombrero with some water in the rim and put him in there. They are excellent conversationalists to have on walks.
  • meerkat70
    Options

I had heard this, but had dismissed it as the stuff of myth and legend.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I took my mom, who is in a wheelchair" to the movies, shopping and for a stroll around the huge mall in our area and logged it as "Running (jogging), training, pushing wheelchair" which ws provided in the MFP database. Now is someone really supposed the think that I ran and trained while pushing a wheelchair? The commas in the name separate the phrases, as with "walking 3 mph, moderate pace, walking dog". To me, the walking dog part of the name is simply equating the average speed of walking a dog to 3 mph.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have SO MUCH fun making up my own exercises that are at least entertaining for my MFPals to actually read:

"Yardwork; moderate amount of weeding, trimming and saving worms from uncertain death."

"Waking, 3.5 moderate pace while jamming to my tunes and singing along."

LET'S GET CREATIVE OUT THERE!!! :wink:

Agreed! I created one the other day that was "Running, trying not to puke".
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

The concert is in Narnia. You decide.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That dog is my kid.
    Whatever happened to respect MFP?
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My dog sometimes eats his poop.

As a guardian of a four legged kid, I need running with them; I need bath wrestling added; .......

OP I see your point but you had to expect the feedback you are getting from other users.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use this pace, too occasionally. When I actually am walking the dog I have to go to the lower 2.5 mph pace because my Pekingese is slow and likes to stop a lot. I don't want to ruin his outside time just because I want to walk faster. :-)

Question for those saying to enter it yourself and create fun titles - do you have a HRM? If not, how do you know how many calories were used? I've always thought that was the reason for using the ones already in the database. The calculations are already there.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I use this pace, too occasionally. When I actually am walking the dog I have to go to the lower 2.5 mph pace because my Pekingese is slow and likes to stop a lot. I don't want to ruin his outside time just because I want to walk faster. :-)

Question for those saying to enter it yourself and create fun titles - do you have a HRM? If not, how do you know how many calories were used? I've always thought that was the reason for using the ones already in the database. The calculations are already there.

Either whip it off one of the presets (so in this case, look it up on the 3mph walking with dog one), or look it up on one of the squillions of calorie burn sites out there. (there are plenty that will calculate based on weight and mileage) Once you've done it, it stays in your database with the cal setting you put in there, and it will automatically adjust as your weight goes down.

However, do be aware that, for most people, the mfp database estimates tend to overestimate quite substantially anyway - so if you want accuracy in your burn as well as your exercise label, an HRM is probably the best way to go.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I use Runkeeper to track my pace and distance, and use the calories it provides.

And my Pekingese averages about 3.5 mph. He doesn't know he's a Pekingese! :happy:
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it refer to walking at 3 mph, but if you do walk a dog and don't know your pace, then you use this one? Isn't walking a dog just an example of the pace?
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Isn't Peking called Beijing now ? So should it be a Beijingese ?
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

The concert is in Narnia. You decide.

"Chasing after Mr. Tumnus through the wardrobe, frantic pace." :laugh:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

Yes, I always use an HRM, like for the "Painting daughter's room Sea Mist (I say green, she says blue)" that I just did for 2 hours and burned 300 calories.