Should I just focus on cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I start ALL my overweight clients on strength and cardio combined. One started at 340lbs in December and is now 290lbs (at 6'2") and is starting to sport some muscularity in his arms and shoulders.
    Female who started at 230lbs (at 5'6") is now down 3 pant sizes at 190lbs since November and is getting firmer and firmer in legs and upper body.
    While cardio does help to drop weight, a good amount of that weight will be lean muscle. As as we know muscle by equal volume weighs more than fat. So if you lose 10lbs and 5lbs of it is muscle and 3lbs of it fat (the rest is water, etc.) because of lack of strength training, then you only lower your metabolic rate more making it a much longer and more difficult journey to get into the actual shape that you want.
    Weight loss by scale weight only isn't always the best win.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I start ALL my overweight clients on strength and cardio combined. One started at 340lbs in December and is now 290lbs (at 6'2") and is starting to sport some muscularity in his arms and shoulders.
    Female who started at 230lbs (at 5'6") is now down 3 pant sizes at 190lbs since November and is getting firmer and firmer in legs and upper body.
    While cardio does help to drop weight, a good amount of that weight will be lean muscle. As as we know muscle by equal volume weighs more than fat. So if you lose 10lbs and 5lbs of it is muscle and 3lbs of it fat (the rest is water, etc.) because of lack of strength training, then you only lower your metabolic rate more making it a much longer and more difficult journey to get into the actual shape that you want.

IDEA Fitness member

On a side note....Go Niners!

< season ticket holder :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Can't wait for the new stadium to open in 2014!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

My work is basically kitty corner to the new site :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

My work is basically kitty corner to the new site :)

I'm guessing this wouldn't be the best time to sing "Fly Eagles Fly"? LOL At least you guys are NFC!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would recommend both cardio & weight training...both definately has it's benefits (I personally do cardio almost every day, & weights 3 times a week, & have seen a huge change in only 45 days)...

Wishing you all the best!! :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Nope certainly not. Muscle burns more calories than fat does. Therefore, building muscle will help you burn more calories/fat even when at rest. Cardio is important, but by not doing strength training, you're doing yourself a serious injustice.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    For everyone who keeps suggesting that the OP do strength training, she specifically said she realizes it's important but doesn't want to do it now. She asked if it was all right to stick with cardio at the moment. That probably means she's concerned about being overwhelmed as she starts this program.

Of course you're entitled to persuade her otherwise, but she was pretty clear.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For everyone who keeps suggesting that the OP do strength training, she specifically said she realizes it's important but doesn't want to do it now. She asked if it was all right to stick with cardio at the moment. That probably means she's concerned about being overwhelmed as she starts this program.

Actually she's said she's more concerned with pounds lost and believes that strength will impede that. Of course loss of muscle will increase weight lost, but is that the kind of weight she wants to lose doing just cardio? That is information she should know before pursuing the cardio only approach.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Actually she's said she's more concerned with pounds lost and believes that strength will impede that. Of course loss of muscle will increase weight lost, but is that the kind of weight she wants to lose doing just cardio? That is information she should know before pursuing the cardio only approach.

IDEA Fitness member

This! Great reading comprehension.