• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    >25% body fat

u mad bro?
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think the traditional definition of the hourglass figure is a 10 inch difference between your waist and your hips/boobs.

i have an 11 inch difference
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It depends on weight distribution. People who are naturally hour-glass shaped tend to look curvy regardless of what they weigh (to a certain extent, obviously).

this is what i say...
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm throwing this out there because this topic always bugs me!

Curvy is one of those terms that is subjective. It's as simple as that!

I have a high amount of lean muscle mass so my BMI is not a good judge. I am working on my BF% but have not set a goal. According to some people on here it is too high for me to be "curvy" All that said I still consider myself Currvy!

The pic below is me... This is my definition of curvey. So no one comment that I'm Fat! Or I will cry. Just kidding... Well Sort of. :smile:

de372388.jpg
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    having rolls of fat is NOT curvy
    being overweight is NOT curvy

a curvy is someone with a defined waist, aka the hourglass or pear-shaped woman that whether you're slim or overweight, the curves will stay.

i'm an hourglass-pear shaped & i'm not overweight but i always have that shape even when i was still big however i see my figure more now that i'm slim than before when i was big.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    >25% body fat

u mad bro?
    that is overfat, NOT curvy. just accept it & stop dreaming. Beyonce, Shakira, JLo, Scarlett Johansson, Marilyn Monroe, Raquel Welsh, Sofia Vergara etc. are the true definition of curvy but look at them, they're fit & slim, NOT overweight.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options

I have a high amount of lean muscle mass so my BMI is not a good judge. I am working on my BF% but have not set a goal. According to some people on here it is too high for me to be "curvy" All that said I still consider myself Currvy!

The pic below is me... This is my definition of curvey. So no one comment that I'm Fat! Or I will cry. Just kidding... Well Sort of. :smile:

de372388.jpg

this is textbook curvy...
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options

de372388.jpg

Curvy? Absolutely! Dress? Fabulous! 50 lb. weight loss? You GO girl!!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    >25% body fat

u mad bro?
    that is overfat, NOT curvy. just accept it & stop dreaming. Beyonce, Shakira, JLo, Scarlett Johansson, Marilyn Monroe, Raquel Welsh, Sofia Vergara etc. are the true definition of curvy but look at them, they're fit & slim, NOT overweight.
    Reading comprehension is not your strong point, is it?
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I think the traditional definition of the hourglass figure is a 10 inch difference between your waist and your hips/boobs.

This.
  • Iamkim73
    Options
    >25% body fat

u mad bro?
    Reading comprehension is not your strong point, is it?

:laugh:
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    simply put, having a big bust/*kitten*, but a small waist and firm, but not skinny, legs....like beyonce, j lo, etc..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think the problem here is that people tend to use the term curvy to "politely" describe overweight people- regardless of the actual definition- oftentimes the connotation is that curvy means fat. Sorry.
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    curvy is a body type....to me it means you have a "womanly" figure (boobs, butt, hips) but you can still be thin and curvy...and you can be fat and not curvy. And I'm not saying you're less of a woman if you don't have curves...but that's typically how you'd define it in my mind.

Calling obese people curvy to try and soften the blow (why comment at all, I'm sure if you're fat you don't want to hear comments about your body....) is a disservice to us curvy girls.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This....

You can be any size/weight and be curvy. Curvy should not be used to describe an overweight person, though because there are a lot of apple shapes, straight, flat-butt overweight people, etc.
    curvy is a shape not size

you can be skinny and curvy, fat with no curves, fat with curves, skinny without curves

though if you're naturally curvy you can get so skinny OR so obese they disappear.

But yeah, a lot of people say curvy when they mean overweight.

I had A/B cup boobs when I was 15 stone (I'm 5' 5"), while some people have D cups at 11 stone. Curves are genetic, you can't change the shape of your body.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I agree, hourglass is perfection. Sadly curvy was become a polite term for being fat
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    When BMI goes over 25 according to CDC.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

BMI is a joke. Mine is 28.7 and I am under 10% bf. Its only meant to be an indicator and take no consideration of muscle mass. At best its a gross generalization.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i am thinking that curvy is subjectional and is in the eye of the beholder. marilyn monroe was a size 14 and curvy and very sexy, right? i think that curvy becomes fat when the 'rolls' start showing up.

you can be a 'double digit size', have curves without being fat, right? just sayin`
  • Iamkim73
    Options
    i am thinking that curvy is subjectional and is in the eye of the beholder. marilyn monroe was a size 14 and curvy and very sexy, right? i think that curvy becomes fat when the 'rolls' start showing up.

you can be a 'double digit size', have curves without being fat, right? just sayin`

Agree with most of what you said... But keep in mind a size 14 then does not equal a size 14 now.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I work in the lingerie department at a store and they recently changed the sign for the section for bigger sizes from "Plus size" to "Curvy fit". Umm...seriously? lol That irritated me. If you are a 46B chances are you are NOT curvy...you are FAT. lol