Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options
ash190489
ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
I just bought myself some cottage cheese today, however I am very wary and not particularly looking forward to trying it as I have heard from many that it doesn't taste very nice... Can anyone help me in telling me how they eat their Cottage Cheese - in a tasty way and low calorie (of course!).

Pictures are also most welcome!

Thanks in advance! xxx :smile:

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love it but why eat something you don't want? What are you replacing? Because like any cheese it has a lot of sodium.
  • lots_to_lose
    Options
    Some people will think this is gross, but I've gotten into the habit of always adding a bit to my pasta.
  • LivingstonIpresume
    Options
    I love low fat cottage cheese, I think it tastes great and its a fantastic source of protein. if I were to add anything to it I might have a triscuit or something, if you don't mind the sodium/carbs
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like it in small amts, particually with pineapple stirred in ..but OMG have you ever noticed on the carton how high it is on sodium vs calories? when I would buy it in past I would eat a bit and it would end up going bad before I could eat it..even with best intententions..just not something i crave. but others love it..gl!!
  • Kalynx
    Options
    I love it but why eat something you don't want? What are you replacing? Because like any cheese it has a lot of sodium.

right on!

I'd rather have real cheese...and blow 180 on sodium & 110 calories for 1/4 a cup for the real stuff (just about any cheddar/colby/mozzarella I chose) and something I like, rather than 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and 250 mg sodium and only 90 calories . and yeah ...why eat stuff you hate? this is a lifestyle change..not a diet to just eat restricted foods while losing then go back to old habits when you reach goal!!

:flowerforyou: o.p.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Some people will think this is gross, but I've gotten into the habit of always adding a bit to my pasta.
    I do that too!
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    omg i love love love cottage cheese as does my 3 yr old. i like eating it w tuna. some ppl like to eat it w tomatoes......and for the one who said pasta....alot of ppl put it in there lasagna.....and its also good w fruits like melon type fruits....i.e canteloupes. watermellon....etc.....hope this helps......
  • Kalynx
    Options

I prefer ricotta ..way lower sodium too - sargento's fat free ricotta is great!! only 45 calories per 1/4 cup and only 75 mg sodium - similar in texture and taste..and bakes/blends well!!
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but the one thing i hate is when it gets really milky... o.o my mom loves it when it is like that but I don't like it. I love the curds. Not the milk. lol it is hard to explain
  • SaintsK
    SaintsK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'ma huge cottage cheese nut. I have to watch ow much I eat it cause I'll go through a container in a sitting if left to my own devices.

If you are looking for other tastes my mother used to add fruit to it when I was a kid. Someone already mentioned pineapple, which is the best! My mom also did it with applesauce, and it's great with peaches. We would do a salad with it. Lettuce on the bottom, a serving of cottage cheese, then the fruit of out choice on top.

Yummy.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'ma huge cottage cheese nut. I have to watch ow much I eat it cause I'll go through a container in a sitting if left to my own devices.

If you are looking for other tastes my mother used to add fruit to it when I was a kid. Someone already mentioned pineapple, which is the best! My mom also did it with applesauce, and it's great with peaches. We would do a salad with it. Lettuce on the bottom, a serving of cottage cheese, then the fruit of out choice on top.

Yummy.

hmm i wanna try that salad. never thought of that. that sounds delicioius.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Oh, I LOVE cottage cheese, but stay away from it because of the sodium. But if I've had a good, low sodium day it takes very little to persuade me to have a 1/4 cup...lol!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I find eating it with a spoon does not add too many calories to it.
  • Kalynx
    Options

Yummy.

hmm i wanna try that salad. never thought of that. that sounds delicioius.

lol growing up one of our weekly 'salads' with our dinner meal was a lettuce leaf, a pineapple ring and a dollup of cottage cheese topped with a cherry! lol I thought that was normal!!
  • Lightspeedsnail
    Options
    The taste of cottage cheese is disgusting, to me. Cottage cheese has an enormous amount of protein though, which more than compensates for the sodium in my opinion. Unless you're on a low sodium diet. If you like yogurt, try mixing your CC in with some low-fat, or non-fat yogurt. This adds the flavor, and good bacteria from the yogurt and you don't have to taste that gross, lumpy textured taste. In previous muscle building endeavors this combination really filled me up and I was able to get the maximum protein I needed for proper muscle development without eating a whole chicken or an entire tub of chalky Whey shakes. Just my opinion. I hope it helps.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I love it plain (it always has to be small curd though) or I love it mixed with peaches or applesauce (I buy no sugar added applesauce)

I was eating low fat but the upped sodium, for me wasn't worth it just to get less calories. SO I went back to regular and the sodium is much much less. Just watch your portions. 1/2 C. with some fruit in it is always nice.

PS: Don't eat something you don't enjoy just because someone said it's good for you or that your read it's good for you.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love mine with any of the Mrs. Dash seasonings stirred in. Fills me up and I have really come to love it. :)
  • jane987
    jane987 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and vegemite on bread and grilled. It's amazing!

I also use it in omeletes, yum!
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fat free Cottage cheese on a baked potato with a dash of basil pesto is delish for supper! Even on toast !
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up tomatoes and mix it in with a dash of olive oil. the oil gives it a nice taste.