Not sure why whole wheat pasta is better

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, the only difference between whole wheat pasta and regular is that I don't much LIKE the whole wheat kind, so I'd be less likely to eat a lot of it. :ohwell:
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and wheat bread leave me feeling much fuller for much longer. I also don't need as big a portion, since it's so filling. Those points plus the fiber make whole grains the healthier option.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not that it has a significantly lower gi content, but that overall its healthier and the body processes the sugars in it a little differently (not as quickly). I know my hubbys diabetic nutritionist gave a more complete answer when we asked her about it, but that was about the long and short of it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty good lit review from JAMA, a peer-reviewed journal on the relevance of GI on people:
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?volume=287&issue=18&page=2414
    Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary
    The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation.
    Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.
    No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:
    This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with pasta, even for diabetics.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    FIBER!

more fiber in whole wheat. Your body digests whole wheat better,

Your body doesn't digest fiber.

Totally! That is one of the benefits of fiber. A feeling of fullness with out nutrients.
    Your body doesn't digest fiber, but insoluble fiber helps your body digest by pushing all the other food through your system. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me, the only difference between whole wheat pasta and regular is that I don't much LIKE the whole wheat kind, so I'd be less likely to eat a lot of it. :ohwell:

I'm with ya girl! Besides, my Nona would come back from the grave and smack me in the side of the head and ask "tu se pazzo??" (Are you crazy?) :laugh:
  • mmapags
    Options
    FIBER!

more fiber in whole wheat. Your body digests whole wheat better,

Your body doesn't digest fiber.

Totally! That is one of the benefits of fiber. A feeling of fullness with out nutrients.
    Your body doesn't digest fiber, but insoluble fiber helps your body digest by pushing all the other food through your system. :)

You would be correct! That is one of the other benefits.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    wite rice is made from bleach as weill as your white breads, flour etc. that is why most go with whole wheat and why they say it's better for you.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Not sure why everyone has to make this so much harder than it really is.
    Ignorance and self-sabotage
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    wite rice is made from bleach as weill as your white breads, flour etc.

Artist-2061029-bertstare.jpg
  • mmapags
    Options

That or avoidance of responsibility. It's easier to think that you can blame the magic formula that didn't work right than to take responsibility for the results through hard work and self discipline. A very great man I know, and I think it was YOU, said in thread yesterday that it's all som much easier when we just take responsibility for our own outcomes.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like the Barilla whole grain (they use a variety of whole grains and legumes) I think the texture is better than whole wheat. My husband and I both feel like it is more filling, which equals feeling full with less calories.
    We've been eating it for a couple of years, so it's just normal to us. We don't really think of it as "whole grain pasta" anymore, it's just pasta.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

That or avoidance of responsibility. It's easier to think that you can blame the magic formula that didn't work right than to take responsibility for the results through hard work and self discipline. A very great man I know, and I think it was YOU, said in thread yesterday that it's all som much easier when we just take responsibility for our own outcomes.

Wait you telling me its my fault for being fat? Damnt!
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    wite rice is made from bleach as weill as your white breads, flour etc. that is why most go with whole wheat and why they say it's better for you.

That's true, this is from Wiki:
    Bleached flour is a white flour treated with flour bleaching agents to whiten it (freshly milled flour is yellowish) and to give it more gluten-producing potential. Oxidizing agents are usually employed, most commonly organic peroxides like acetone peroxide or benzoyl peroxide, nitrogen dioxide, or chlorine. A similar effect can be achieved by letting the flour oxidize with oxygen in the air ("natural aging") for approximately 10 days; however, this process is more expensive due to the time required. Flour bleached with benzoyl peroxide has been prohibited in the UK since 1997.[2]